Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 07:50 PM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That was Daniel Shaver. I could add to the list of people who complied and were shot anyway. This is why I stand firm that reform is needed.

But it's not just needed for bad kills - it's needed for abuse that doesn't result in shooting or death, and the code of silence that is a systemic problem.

Perhaps. I was referring to the ones that resulted in protests and riots. I agree reform is needed. And this was a big missed opportunity for Trump. Instead of resisting all of that he could have been part of the solution and perhaps one that would have worked for both sides. Now if Biden wins it will probably be too heavy handed against the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 07:59 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
The cops got shot because they did not make the scumbag comply. Like someone posted, why did they tell the dude over and over, get out or I’ll taze you, get out or I’ll spray you?
As I’ve said before, I have cop relatives and I remember one of them showing me a study the FBI did by interviewing cop killers in prison and the common denominator was that they did not take command of the situation from the start. Cops are too gun dependent and I’ve been told by cops that there isn’t much in the way of authority psychology taught to street cops. Got one killed in this case. If I were a street cop I would be demand change.

Sounds great , but without specifics I am not sure what you are suggesting would have been more effective.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:04 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
You make an excellent point. When I was a rookie in 1992 we had training on the same subject. It is very easy to Monday morning quarterback the Sgt. He lost his life. Pretty horrible. It also shows just how easily something like this can happen.
The thing these cops have to deal with scumbags like this guy who mouth off at them day after day. A cop has to go into a routine traffic stop facing the unknown and knowing that they will be making a complete stranger unhappy.

I think the video shows why these cops don't hesitate to blown someone away if they look like they are going for a gun. You only have seconds to react, and how stupid of someone like Biden to suggest that the cops need to take time to aim for the knees.

OTOH, I'm not sure screaming and yelling at someone who is not complying is the way to go either. Even a non-violent person would get so nervous that they can't think straight. That's what happened to Daniel Shavers.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:28 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
I really think CNN, MSNBC and the like need to be held responsible for these murders! We need lawsuits and need them now. They are creating the anti-police thing and cops can't do their jobs anymore. They are dying! They need to be able to do their jobs!

Old 09-15-2020, 09:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I really think CNN, MSNBC and the like need to be held responsible for these murders! We need lawsuits and need them now. They are creating the anti-police thing and cops can't do their jobs anymore. They are dying! They need to be able to do their jobs!
Obama started with the anti-police thing and the media is mostly in bed with our politicians, so nothing would come of anything we do.

They're doing exactly what they've been paid to do - stick to a narrative to mold public opinion.

Old 09-15-2020, 09:10 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I never understand his logic.

He did not want to go to jail, but he decided to shoot 2 cops?

Well, ****. Not only he is going to jail now, but he may get the lethal injection . I don't think Oklahoma is very fond of cop killers.
They're not fond of criminals of any kind -- or race. Oklahoma locks up more white people than any other state.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:29 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Sounds great , but without specifics I am not sure what you are suggesting would have been more effective.
Again, I don’t train cops. I would be interested in hearing from someone who does because what happened there was not the desirable outcome.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:25 PM

14,228 posts, read 4,590,273 times
Quote:
Again, I don’t train cops. I would be interested in hearing from someone who does because what happened there was not the desirable outcome.
My BG: 11 years in LE, defensive tactic instructor, and lifelong martial artist. I think I am qualified?

All I have to say is let the cops use choke hold on the driver to put him to sleep because that is what I would do, but I am pretty sure choke holds are banned in Tulsa PD

Old 09-16-2020, 01:31 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
I kept saying use a billy club and open his skull after the pepper spray and tazer. Better than shooting him. But I was wrong.
If the perp was black he'd have an army going to his defense mindlessly protesting until they saw the video and then they'd move on. the MSM would run it for a day and then drop it when they saw it had no legs and they'd drop it.
But he was a white knuckledragger so it got ignored. I'm all for coming down hard on bad cops, but I have little sympathy for stupid criminals and thugs. Even less for crybaby protesters.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:00 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
The cops got shot because they did not make the scumbag comply. Like someone posted, why did they tell the dude over and over, get out or I’ll taze you, get out or I’ll spray you?
As I’ve said before, I have cop relatives and I remember one of them showing me a study the FBI did by interviewing cop killers in prison and the common denominator was that they did not take command of the situation from the start. Cops are too gun dependent and I’ve been told by cops that there isn’t much in the way of authority psychology taught to street cops. Got one killed in this case. If I were a street cop I would be demand change.
Authority psychology ? Give me a break You think this guy or Floyd, Michael Brown, Prude, et al. would comply if you had a PhD in Authority Psychology on the scene ?

Two officers should never be in a position of forcing a non-compliant suspect out of a vehicle, especially for a traffic stop. The authority is a weapon, a command to show hands, and one warning. Either that, give the driver a ticket and move on, or disable the vehicle, pull back and wait it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies