Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 08:17 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
False equivalency. Trump is responsible for our poor performance on this. 4% of the worlds population, well over 20% of the deaths....and rising.

And naturally comparing the other 96% ability to count them is not a false equivalency.

I know you don't care and are dutifully relaying propaganda, but just in case a member of your household is looking over your shoulder and is trying to catch up with events due to a recent deinstitutionalization , its run by the governors.

Thats how our government actually works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 08:55 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
False equivalency. Trump is responsible for our poor performance on this. 4% of the worlds population, well over 20% of the deaths....and rising.
Just imagine if Biden were in office for this pandemic. The death count would have been MUCH MUCH higher as he was against a travel ban while his democratic peers were encouraging our citizens to go outside and visit places like Chinatown.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:45 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Just imagine if Biden were in office for this pandemic. The death count would have been MUCH MUCH higher as he was against a travel ban while his democratic peers were encouraging our citizens to go outside and visit places like Chinatown.
Look at NYC and NY state. Complete left wing control and some of the highest death tools in the world.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:58 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
A nation with one of the best medical systems and leading scientists and we are posting those numbers, of course it couldn't be leadership.

So its off to some desperate analogy to cancer.
The Cult#45 always resorts to whataboutism.
It fits their "pretzel" logic.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:09 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
If masks could keep you from getting cancer, would you wear one?
No.

And BTW I lost both parents and 3 out of 4 grandparents to cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Until we cease having such a high daily death count.
By your reckoning, what number would be sufficiently low. 100/day? 10/day? And what of the argument, that opening back up, would cause temporarily-small numbers to spike back up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If quitting smoking could keep you from getting cancer, would you quit?
No. I can't stand the smell/taste/sensation of tobacco or nicotine. Otherwise I'd have already taken up smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Let them die. It's their business. If you have to keep your distance and let them die alone, that's how it works.
Your offer is accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunderMiff_ View Post
You are forgetting exponential spread.
America's curve stopped exponentiating by late-March/early-April.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:35 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Many of those deaths were the result of state governors' actions, in which the feds had no authority over.

But since those were Democratic governors, you lay no blame on them even though the deaths were the direct result of their actions.

State governors were forced to act when Trumps leadership turned into "I take no responsibility" 53 separate attempts to deal with this with mutually shared borders cannot get even close to 1 unified government. Your excuse is LITERALLY part of the reason why Trump demonstrably failed utterly. How you can not understand that amazes me.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:58 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Just imagine....

*whats that wavy effect for the transition to a fantasy world called?

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...8/Playbook.pdf

That I believe is the Obama playbook for pandemics. I believe we would have closed the borders faster, had better testing quicker, and kept our death count comparable to other countries instead of having a massive share of deaths in comparison to our population. 4% of the population, over 20% of the deaths...and rising. Im not 100% sure you could have done worse then this if you tried.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:48 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Just imagine....

*whats that wavy effect for the transition to a fantasy world called?

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...8/Playbook.pdf

That I believe is the Obama playbook for pandemics. I believe we would have closed the borders faster, had better testing quicker, and kept our death count comparable to other countries instead of having a massive share of deaths in comparison to our population. 4% of the population, over 20% of the deaths...and rising. Im not 100% sure you could have done worse then this if you tried.
BS.......over and over the Obama document states that closing borders is a tricky situation and has to be assessed very carefully.

Also, what in this document would have overcome the CDC's botched testing?

There's nothing I see in this document that was not addressed by the current administration and no doubt all of this info is in the plans at the individual agencies involved. Pretty sure this document states that.

It wouldn't have changed anything.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:22 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Me neither, but do you think Trump's base is as discerning or many just followed his lead? I have a strong feeling that MAGA masks would have done a lot to nip this in the bud.
I might agree with you if the hardest hit places were Trump strong holds, they weren't, they were solid blue strong holds.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:00 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I might agree with you if the hardest hit places were Trump strong holds, they weren't, they were solid blue strong holds.
You include NY, which was hit before we even knew what covid was? And blame local politicians instead of Trump who had dismantled the pandemic early warning system put in place by Obama? How convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies