Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 12:27 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I didn't say the numbers were wrong, I said they were misleading. You've got people focusing on current new infection rates and away from total deaths per million which tell the tale as to who did a good job of handling things vs a poor job.

Those who successfully flattened the curve will have higher new infection rates and MUCH lower total death rates per capita. I've posted the numbers multiple times, but I'll re-post them for you. It's clear states like NY and NJ are the pathetic failures in the country.
Actually, those numbers I listed were per 100,000. I explicitly mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Welcome to another "red states are better than blue states" thread.

So far, the 10 worst states per 100,000
Louisiana 3,431
Florida 3,114
Mississippi 3,078
Arizona 2,927
Alabama 2,886
Georgia 2,843
South Carolina 2,638
Tennessee 2,616
Nevada 2,453
Iowa 2,430

Vast majority of them are red states.

Here is a link for proof: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...s_casesper100k
And these weren't just recent cases. This is for all time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 12:28 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Okay, now instead of cases per 100K lets do deaths per 100K: Same link for proof:

And BTW you forgot to add NYC counts to NYS which would bring NY to number one on the list.

So far the 10 worst states, deaths per 100,000
New York 362
New Jersey 180
Massachusetts 133
Connecticut 125
Louisiana 113
Rhode Island 102
Mississippi 93
DC 87
Arizona 74
Missouri 69

From this I deduce not only that deaths per 100k by state is majority blue, but since the high death rate blue states have a lower case loads than high case load red states, that red states are more successful keeping their cases loads from getting dead.
Cases reflect a state's efforts to curb transmission.

Whether someone dies from it isn't controlled by the state in any way.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:29 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm King View Post
Blue states have higher populations and more population density. Of course they will have more COVID-19 cases.
Also, more affluent population, which means more people having to travel for work.

At the same time, more people in poverty, meaning more people living in close quarters, having to make more trips to the store, having to use public transportatin, etc.

Point being: You can't look at things in such simplistic terms. There are always more factors than "what color the state votes".

And let's not forget, it's already been proven that this is just another Trump Lie. 5 of the top ten states are run by Republicans. Sooooooo.........

Old 09-17-2020, 12:36 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
The "blue states" with the highest death rates were hit earliest and hardest. Because of a lack of federal leadership they were left to figure this out on their own. They made mistakes (nursing homes being the primary mistake). They adapted and learned and are now doing better than most other states. They will always have the most deaths because of those early mistakes. They weren't perfect.

However, states being hit hardest now, mostly red, had a lot of time and a lot more information. They continue to ignore best practices and throw temper tantrums about simple things like wearing a mask and not gathering indoors in huge numbers. There is no excuse anymore for these high Covid numbers.

But, at least the whole country seems to have learned the lesson on nursing homes.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:04 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
The reason why we have such bad Covid numbers is because of blue states that are run poorly. Yes i know it's American states but really it's run by Democrats and they are blue states. Without those blue states we would have great numbers on covid, like no other country have.
First, this is a monstrous thought brought to you by a President of the United States of America who thinks he only represents the White folks in the red states.

Secondly, the states with spiking infection and death rates are red states and our know- nothing POTUS is only trying to shift blame for his cowardly lack of presidential leadership and his failed federal response to a non partisan national public health crisis.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:07 PM

8,148 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
That would be an intelligent comment if the US was a dictatorship. Perhaps you need a civics lesson.

Covid deaths per million

US - 609

Texas - 513

Florida - 609

New York - 1704

New Jersey - 1821

So it looks like Texas did better than average, Florida did average......and NY and NJ were pathetic failures.
1. The US average is terrible. As I said Germany is at 113 per million (and that's 83 million people, densely populated, huge utilization of public transportation)

2. New York was hard hit in MARCH/APRIL, TX - JULY/AUGUST. Do you understand that this difference in timing is eternity in terms of Covid?

3. TX, FL, etc. are still in the midst of it with large daily case and death numbers.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:09 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
1. The US average is terrible. As I said Germany is at 113 per million (and that's 83 million people, densely populated, huge utilization of public transportation)

2. New York was hard hit in MARCH/APRIL, TX - JULY/AUGUST. Do you understand that this difference in timing is eternity in terms of Covid?

3. TX, FL, etc. are still in the midst of it with large daily case and death numbers.
Hospitalizations are going massively down. But keep trying to keep the panic going

Old 09-17-2020, 01:21 PM

494 posts, read 180,047 times
All of the MAGA people are forgetting that if Trump had been up front about Covid in January there would be a lot less deaths regardless of what color state you are in, which is ridiculous in and of itself.

And let me cut it off now for the inevitable, Trump is not a Dictator...it's up to the states, post. I do understand that the states are responsible for their own health/safety. I'm saying that trump could have delivered a clear, concise message to the American people about what we are facing and how we can overcome it TOGETHER. Instead he divided the country into red/blue states and pitted people against each other for wearing a freaking mask.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:22 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Hospitalizations are going massively down. But keep trying to keep the panic going
Quit shifting and dodging. Nobody is trying to keep the panic going. Quite contrary, the OP is still trying to keep the excuses going, and the lies flying. You need to bear in mind, the left (the people you wrongly think are trying to create panic) did not start this discussion. We are responding to lies.

You can't throw lies out there, and then blame people for keeping the panic going because they responded ONLY to set the record strait. The fact remains, this discussion would not be happening if your side was not trying to make excuses for a sub-par POTUS and spread lies to deflect the actual blame.

What a lame response: Keep the panic going. NOPE, you all started it!

Old 09-17-2020, 01:23 PM

1,110 posts, read 672,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You could ask yourself why that was a federal guideline at that point in time too.....
I just did, thanks.

Here's the document Cuomo and his Secretary had referred to in an attempt to defend themselves.

What I find interesting is that on the topic Secretary to the (NY Cuomo) Governor Melissa DeRosa said And I quote (quoting the CMS CDC doc) 'Nursing homes should admit any individuals from hospitals where Covid is present,'. "Not could, should" ... that is President (Donald) Trump's CMS and CDC.

She was actually paraphrasing from 'a note' within the apparently stringent and cohesive guidelines document (take a look at the link). Below (in bold) are the only words that top NYS State leadership chose to use from comprehensive guidelines in an attempt to co-opt the POTUS in their nursing home death spike.

Note: Nursing homes should admit any individuals that they would normally admit to their
facility, including individuals from hospitals where a case of COVID-19 was/is present.
Also, if possible, dedicate a unit/wing exclusively for any residents coming or returning
from the hospital. This can serve as a step-down unit where they remain for 14 days with
no symptoms (instead of integrating as usual on short-term rehab floor, or returning to
long-stay original room).

An investigation would help determine how stringently the nursing homes were able to follow Trump's CMS/ CDC guidelines. Not just the paraphrased part, the whole doc.

Two possible outcomes:

NYS leadership is incapable of regulating their nursing homes and those home incapable to regulating themselves, especially during times of a potentially deadly crisis or

NYS leadership's oversight and the nursing homes managed this crisis in compliance with the CMS/ CDC guidelines perfectly and the guidelines still managed to account for about 1/3 of all NYS Covid-19 deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies