Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2020, 12:50 PM

1,768 posts, read 567,243 times

Advertisements

I thought Republicans wanted to eliminate the Department of Education entirely and privatize schools. Oh wait, I forgot, the new party platform is whatever Trumpie wants, Trumpie gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 12:54 PM

57,207 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
You need more text books to emphasize what Americans did and sacrificed to END slavery in their own country.

The British are going through quite a row these days on the subject, for example. Everyone wants to emphasize how they participated in slavery. And yet nobody wants to emphasize that it was the British, in the end, who basically ended the official world-wide slave trade by ending it throughout its empire.

The US and the western world has done more for the advancement of human rights, the end of slavery and progressive acceptance and advancement of minorities than ANY.OTHER.COUNTRIES.

Time to celebrate THAT --- rather than wallow in victimization and resentment.

Everyone knows that it's not usually your successful, well-adjusted happy friends who ***** the most about the United States.
Like I stated history books should be honest as to how we got here and it should be accurate, you want more emphasis on how we freed the slaves. Do you think too much time was devoted to how they got here and how it was perpetuated.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:50 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
I thought Republicans wanted to eliminate the Department of Education entirely and privatize schools. Oh wait, I forgot, the new party platform is whatever Trumpie wants, Trumpie gets.
Dont confuse campaign rhetoric with commitment...oh wait, I don't think the GOP even talks about it anymore

Old 09-18-2020, 01:53 PM

2,180 posts, read 639,735 times
Quote:

Well, without ole' Trumpie you GOP types would be extinct. Get with the program. Nobody is going back to the days of Newt Gingrich and the Neocons.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:56 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
it's both fascinating and sad to see how many LWNJs instantly associate patriotism with fascism, hitler, and whatever other nasty epithets they can come up with.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:01 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it's both fascinating and sad to see how many LWNJs instantly associate patriotism with fascism, hitler, and whatever other nasty epithets they can come up with.
Advocate for a separation of education and state. You can teach your history and they can teach theirs

Old 09-18-2020, 02:09 PM

1,131 posts, read 386,717 times
Quote:
All I heard from my teacher friends is that common core sucked and they were voting for Trump because he was going to get rid of it.

Did he ever do that?

Old 09-18-2020, 02:15 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,110,337 times
Quote:

Patriotism without question is nationalism, nationalism with hate and blind devotion is fascism.

A fascist is a patriot that has been told who to blame for their problems and that their problems would be solved if this group of people was housed in a detention camp, or didn't exist all together. And they follow a singular "strongman" that feeds them this rhetoric and tells them that their "enemy" is coming to get them. He taps into their inner fears and prejudices and uses it to rile them up and motive them to back him up because only he can squash this "enemy".

Old 09-18-2020, 02:18 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Organic pride in your country's accomplishments is a very healthy sort of patriotism. A government deciding that patriotism is something to be installed in young minds in schools - that is a very different matter.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:34 PM

15,807 posts, read 6,523,439 times
Birth of the Trump-Jugend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies