Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 10:52 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,442,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Just when you think the Left can't POSSIBLY get anymore ridiculous.....

They prove you wrong......

EVERY TIME.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/17/cancel...AaqPvQ1ZCV06A4
Anything classical is racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 10:54 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,553,758 times
Out of all the old classical composers, why Beethoven? It's the hair isn't it? I bet it's the hair.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:57 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The NY Post must have searched high and low for anything to distract the worried Trumpers from the inevitable sad ending of MAGA. It took four paragraphs to explain to Trumpers who Beethoven was and why his music is significant because they have no idea. They might have heard the name and associated it with music -- at best. And then they had to dredge up some music professionals who have a negative opinion so they can cobble together a fake story. As far as I can tell from a search, the writer - Mr. Tobin - created this story out of thin air. Tobin, a daily contributor to the Jewish News Syndicate, normally writes about issues concerning Israel but feels compelled to branch out into fake news. That is right down the NY Post's alley.
Basically they think “how can we rile our base up today?”. Then they make a mountain out of a molehill and toss it to their base and they bite the bait.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:08 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
Quote:
The NY Post must have searched high and low for anything to distract the worried Trumpers from the inevitable sad ending of MAGA. It took four paragraphs to explain to Trumpers who Beethoven was and why his music is significant because they have no idea. They might have heard the name and associated it with music -- at best. And then they had to dredge up some music professionals who have a negative opinion so they can cobble together a fake story. As far as I can tell from a search, the writer - Mr. Tobin - created this story out of thin air. Tobin, a daily contributor to the Jewish News Syndicate, normally writes about issues concerning Israel but feels compelled to branch out into fake news. That is right down the NY Post's alley.

Wrong. My husband and I who both supported Trump in 2016 are opera and symphony fans. My husband sang with a large opera company for 20 years, and sang in Beethoven's "Fidelio" at least once.

Don't be an elitist prig.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:13 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Not sure. I think Charity Sade (CVS lunatic) has today's insanity award.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:22 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,573 times
Beethoven? Really. Does not make any sense as to what pray tell is offensive about good, clean, classical entertainment. That was the "in" thing in that era. It can be cranked up maximum blast on current day music player equipment and not sound all that distorted unlike other variations. Just like you are there. Concert music entertainment from the past.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:28 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
The NY Post must have searched high and low for anything to distract the worried Trumpers from the inevitable sad ending of MAGA. It took four paragraphs to explain to Trumpers who Beethoven was and why his music is significant because they have no idea. They might have heard the name and associated it with music -- at best. And then they had to dredge up some music professionals who have a negative opinion so they can cobble together a fake story. .

Your implication that Trump supporters are nothing more than uneducated, culturally illiterate hillbillies is more than pathetic; it is downright idiotic.

Among the Trump supporters I personally know are a CEO, a Harvard educated lawyer, MBA’s, doctors, and a myriad of other professionals. My husband, who is an ardent Trump supporter, is the senior most engineer at a very prestigious company and he has loved classical music since he was a boy.

What is really sad is the liberal attempt to politicize the arts. Music, literature, art—they have a universal appeal because they speak to the emotions that make us human. It is ridiculous to that a black person shouldn’t be moved by Beethoven or Shakespeare because they were white. Art doesn’t care about your skin color; it cares about your soul.

Furthermore, critics who claim that classical music or literature are too “highbrow” have done very little research. Bach, for example, wrote music for the church. Shakespeare plays were performed for the working classes.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:38 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,131,639 times
This is insane. It was considered the socially responsible, morally right thing (and I agreed) when orchestras started to have blind auditions so they would chose the best musicians playing behind a curtain, without their gender, race, ethnicity, appearance entering into any hiring decisions. The orchestra in Vienna was one of the last holdouts to hire women, so this was a good (the only) way to ensure that people of color and women could play in orchestras. I think women now are represented, but the people of color thing didn't work out completely. There are now lots of Asians, but not Blacks. So now woke people are saying Asians are over-represented and it needs to be Blacks who have to be hired, presumably even if their qualifications aren't at the level of other groups.

I think it would be excellent if orchestras were more diverse...provided the musicianship remains at a high level. And before people go crazy that there aren't enough Blacks, it needs to be looked at how many Black students at the elementary through college levels are studying music. Years ago Black schools were often too poor to even offer music lessons and students often too poor to be instruments and have private lessons. But now that the playing field is more leveled and there are more opportunities, it has to be asked: how many Black students are interested in learning classical music? If it's seen as too white an endeavor and not as cool as being a YouTube star or hip hop artist, how many are going to be attracted to the time and money it takes to learn classical music? So if colleges aren't full of Black students, studying classical music, where will these Black classical musicians be found?

Old 09-18-2020, 11:45 AM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Just when you think the Left can't POSSIBLY get anymore ridiculous.....

They prove you wrong......

EVERY TIME.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/17/cancel...AaqPvQ1ZCV06A4
Wait till they find out about Richard Wagner.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:32 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
Ffs, Beethoven was deaf, this is disability discrimination!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies