Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Trump seat a new SCOTUS justice?
Yes, before the election 200 61.73%
Yes, but after the election (win or lose) 73 22.53%
No, he will lose the election or the senate and won't get his choice seated 51 15.74%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 06:00 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep. I recall telling people this then, too. The argument from leftists was that "well, Harry Reid isn't doing it for Supreme Court justices"

This has been a delicious ride. I've been telling people that as long as we get to replace Ginsburg with a young, healthy, conservative justice, DJT could lose the election for all I care (not that I want him to lose or think he will). The Senate is more naturally flared to have a GOP majority in the long run due to the makeup of the several states.
Same here. I'd rather see Trump lose the election than lose the Supreme Court seat to liberals. Trump and McConnel need to make it happen regardless of the threats from the radicals. If they are able to replace Ginsberg with a conservative or even middle of the line Judge, this will be their historic legacy.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:06 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Why?

Is there some law saying that if there's an election coming soon, the President has to stop being a President until it's past? And the Senators have to stop being Senators?

Garland didn't get a vote because a majority of the Senate elected McConnell as Senate Majority Leader, meaning they would uphold his decisions (just as you uphold the decisions of the City Council you elected). IOW, a majority of the Senate didn't want Garland to get a vote.

Are you saying you don't agree with the principle of voting and majority rule?
I'm saying in this particular case, with the election only 6 weeks away, with the conservatives in control of the Supreme Court, and with the country extremely divided, it's best to just let things be until after the election. Worse case, Biden wins and another leftist replaces Ginsburg.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:10 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I'm saying in this particular case, with the election only 6 weeks away, with the conservatives in control of the Supreme Court, and with the country extremely divided, it's best to just let things be until after the election. Worse case, Biden wins and another leftist replaces Ginsburg.
It might be best, but that is still an opinion. Trump should give his voters what he promised and I believe it was a more conservative supreme court. Its what I would like my elected officials to do. Obama disappointed me in that area.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The problem with that is that if Biden is elected and Reps lose the majority senate, then Biden will be putting another 2 maybe even 3 new judges on the court in the next 4 years, tipping the scale of the court to liberal. And I can promise you whoever Biden picks will be just as liberal as Ginsberg. Then there is no turning back.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:16 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Don't lecture on Obamacare.

Us self employed people were paying maybe $400 a month for Insurance when they passed OC and within 2 years those Policies had gone up to $1000 to $1500 for far worse coverage and much higher deductibles.

Obamacare killed us people that were paying for our own Insurance.
It was John Roberts, a so-called conservative judge, who saved Obamacare. 'A penalty is a tax' One of Scalia's best lines in a dissent was that 'Obamacare' should be called 'SCOTUScare.'

We've already seen Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, and of course Roberts, vote against what are considered conservative or Trump positions. The Roberts and Gorsuch votes decided the gay employment anti-discrimination case. Trump lost the census case in this supposedly pro-Trump stacked Court. With Biden and a D Senate we'll have replicas of Ginsburg/Sotomayor who'll always put their personal views first.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
It was John Roberts, a so-called conservative judge, who saved Obamacare. 'A penalty is a tax' One of Scalia's best lines in a dissent was that 'Obamacare' should be called 'SCOTUScare.'

We've already seen Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, and of course Roberts, vote against what are considered conservative or Trump positions. The Roberts and Gorsuch votes decided the gay employment anti-discrimination case. Trump lost the census case in this supposedly pro-Trump stacked Court. With Biden and a D Senate we'll have replicas of Ginsburg/Sotomayor who'll always put their personal views first.
Conservative judges tend to do their job in interpreting the Constitution as they see it and not legislating from the bench, which is very different than liberal judges who make it their life ambition to spread their liberalism through the Court like Ginsberg did. It's the reason she's the hero of liberals. There is the difference.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:30 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Conservative judges tend to do their job in interpreting the Constitution as they see it and not legislating from the bench, which is very different than liberal judges who make it their life ambition to spread their liberalism through the Court like Ginsberg did. It's the reason she's the hero of liberals. There is the difference.
It is also telling that it is conservative justices who will show the most flexibility in terms of vote outcomes on the key issues. Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Thomas, and Roberts have all voted in ways that those on the hard right would not have liked them to have, whereas the same really can't be said (certainly not to the same extent) for people like Ginsburg, who was a hard and true radical leftist to the core.

Old 09-20-2020, 06:32 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

Yep. As I mentioned in a previous post, it's only justices that have been appointed by Republicans who have surprised us. If you don't want to see pre-determined outcomes, having another Ginsburg on the court is not the way to go.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:16 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Trump vows to replace RGB with a woman.

Copying the Biden playbook.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:31 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,194,578 times
Rising with a silver bullet: Barbara Lagoa. Woman, Hispanic, Conservative and from Florida. Florida Florida Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies