Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2020, 10:22 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Japan connected the dots between excess weight and healthcare costs and took action.

Everyone must submit to an annual waist measure. Measuring is delegated to employers. Government assigns employers an annual goal to reduce waist measurements. Failure of an employer to achieve the goal means the employer pays a higher rate into the Sickness Fund.

Self employed with waist measurements beyond the generous healthy range are referred to nutritional counseling.

No surprise, obesity is declining in Japan.
A totalitarians dream realized

Old 09-20-2020, 10:22 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
The single greatest substance addiction is sugar.

Consumption is a personal choice.
This myth of sugar addiction gets perpetuated with no evidence all the time.

You should probably read up on the plethora of scientific evidence on this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28330706/

1) Most claiming to have a "sweet tooth" also have a "cheeseburger & fries tooth."
2) Most who think they have a sugar addiction ironically don't have a "fresh fruit addiction."
3) Don't confuse hyperpalatable foods with sugar.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Lets start by only letting food stamps be used on healthy food
There is a reason why SNAP is a part of the Farm Bill.

BIG corn produces high fructose corn syrup which is in nearly everything.

Big food and Big grocer continuously lobby Congress to ensure “ junk food” qualifies for SNAP.

It still comes down to personal choices. No one of forced to consume soda and Doritos.

I say this as someone with a lifelong soda pop addiction. I would rather drink pop than eat. Instead of blowing up, it has taken a huge toll on my teeth. I have the equivalent of a Mercedes in my mouth, paid for out of pocket.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:31 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
Some people who feel stressed stop eating; others eat for comfort. Just because you can eat steamed veggies for lunch doesn’t mean you will. And being at home doesn’t mean everyone can easily get out for exercise either. I live in a state that is burning right now. Our AQI is poor enough that outdoor exercise is discouraged.
Sorry to hear you are close to the fires. You can still exercise inside, as cold climate people do for months in winter.

As far as eating, if a person won't eat their vegetables that is a personal choice.

These sound like excuses. I get stress eating, but we need to get accustomed to changes due to Covid.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Ever watch the “ My 600 Pound Life” series? For the most part the focus in on a person who is bed ridden or nearly so. They can’t work, drive, bathe etc. Behind every character is one or more enablers who procure food.

One woman was unable to lose the X pounds necessary to qualify for weight loss surgery. She was hospitalized and put on a low calorie diet. Nonetheless, she continued to gain weight. It was discovered she had been manipulating staff to fetch pizzas, buckets of chicken and bags of fast food.

Apparently it is easier to control other people than it is to control what one consumes.

At some point, morbid obesity becomes a mental illness.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:38 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
There is a reason why SNAP is a part of the Farm Bill.

BIG corn produces high fructose corn syrup which is in nearly everything.

Big food and Big grocer continuously lobby Congress to ensure “ junk food” qualifies for SNAP.

It still comes down to personal choices. No one of forced to consume soda and Doritos.

I say this as someone with a lifelong soda pop addiction. I would rather drink pop than eat. Instead of blowing up, it has taken a huge toll on my teeth. I have the equivalent of a Mercedes in my mouth, paid for out of pocket.
Of course you are addicted to pop. It is extremely low in the satiety index. You crave more because you are not full after 6 soda pops. Not because of the sugar.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:39 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Why would anyone gain weight due to Covid? Aren't we home more often with more time to exercise and make home meals? When I was at work all day I was more sedentary and ate muffins, sandwiches, crap from takeout restaurants. At home I can take a walk, make a fresh salad, do jumping jacks, stand on my head, go outside for a break, whatever. It's like freedom even if you still have to work a lot.
In my experience friends are cooking And baking like crazy and can’t invite people over to eat it. Freezers are full so they indulge too much. We work out less because it was too hot outside for the last few months and gyms were closed. Parks were closed for a little while in the spring. Many worked in the city and walked miles as commuters.
Some of it has to do with a general malaise and not motivated for an at home workout.
I will add that no one I in my circle is obese even with a 10 pound weight gain they may have moved over the line to overweight range but just barely.
Still it’s more of a topic than who has covid.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:40 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Sorry to hear you are close to the fires. You can still exercise inside, as cold climate people do for months in winter.

As far as eating, if a person won't eat their vegetables that is a personal choice.

These sound like excuses. I get stress eating, but we need to get accustomed to changes due to Covid.
I’m speaking in generalities. This discussion is not personal for me, as I’m happy with my health and weight. I’m just offering an explanation for why people might gain weight during this time. Stress is a huge factor in weight gain (and loss), and this is a time when many people are under extraordinary stress whether because of unemployment, COVID-19, or environmental disaster.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:51 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Some people equate "freedom" with shoving greasy food and Big Gulps down their throat. From a Darwinian perspective, I say "please proceed".

Old 09-20-2020, 01:46 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
In my experience friends are cooking And baking like crazy and can’t invite people over to eat it. Freezers are full so they indulge too much. We work out less because it was too hot outside for the last few months and gyms were closed. Parks were closed for a little while in the spring. Many worked in the city and walked miles as commuters.
Some of it has to do with a general malaise and not motivated for an at home workout.
I will add that no one I in my circle is obese even with a 10 pound weight gain they may have moved over the line to overweight range but just barely.
Still it’s more of a topic than who has covid.
Ok I see but they should maybe not overdo the quantity of cooking? Yeah gyms closed can be a problem if you are a regular gym goer and walking to work definitely burns calories.

I still say it's time to look at current reality change and put together a new health routine rather than sticking in a stasis mode because the old one was disrupted. A cheap exercise cycle, free weights, online yoga class, adjust to just keep moving for health. Thinking about a cooking and eating plan that is sensible and following it.

I think it is important in an uncertain time with uncertain future to think, and be really flexible, not get pulled down because we might need a lot of strength and resilience physically and mentally. The ride could get a lot bumpier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies