Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 11:33 AM

24,459 posts, read 9,322,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is portion sizes and the type of food that is making people obese.
Nope. It's how often people eat. I did intermittent fasting and immediately lost and controlled my weight, and I still eat large portions and junk food.
It's all about controlling your insulin levels.

Quote:
To put it simply, Intermittent Fasting works so well for weight loss because it keeps our insulin levels down. Elevated insulin levels have been linked with obesity for some time. In fact, obese patients tend to have an overproduction of insulin at nearly 20 percent higher when compared to those of normal weight.
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...ight-Loss.html

Old 09-24-2020, 12:00 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,394,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Nope. It's how often people eat. I did intermittent fasting and immediately lost and controlled my weight, and I still eat large portions and junk food.

No evidence that intermittent fasting has an advantage over other types of restricted eating. There is a lot of evidence out there showing no big advantage to this type of eating but if it works better for you than great.

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/4/1126

Old 09-24-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Another massive myth here concerning your claim about insulin levels.

https://clinicalnutritionespen.com/a...054-5/fulltext

Old 09-24-2020, 12:36 PM

13,036 posts, read 7,169,015 times
Avoid sugary, and high carbohydrate foods human body did not evolve to process large amounts of glucose we are hit with every day. If you go back even 50 years average soda was 12oz bottle. Remember when refills cost money then in the early 1990s' free refills started. We saw big gulp 32oz, 44oz, 64oz at convenient stores. You can line that history right up with Obesity rates over time. That's just one factor lot of others also.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:47 PM

88,804 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
The map shows Non-Hispanic White adults the dark red is in all GOP states like MS, AL, OK, KY, IA, WV. I'm not making this up CDC website you can look for yourself.
Here's what you said:

Quote:
The CDC map shows white obesity all in republican controlled states.
However, the map you posted shows no such thing.

Furthermore, not all those states have GOP leadership. KY's governor, for example, is a Dem.

It's also important to note that the maps I posted from the exact same source, depicting Black and Hispanic obesity, respectively, show MANY more states including blue states as dark red (highest obesity rate).

There is no doubt whatsoever that Blacks, Hispanics, and the poor are the 3 demographic groups that have the highest obesity rates. And all 3 groups overwhelmingly vote Dem. Those are just the indisputable facts.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Avoid sugary, and high carbohydrate foods human body did not evolve to process large amounts of glucose we are hit with every day. If you go back even 50 years average soda was 12oz bottle. Remember when refills cost money then in the early 1990s' free refills started. We saw big gulp 32oz, 44oz, 64oz at convenient stores. You can line that history right up with Obesity rates over time. That's just one factor lot of others also.
Can you clarify here? Are you talking about strictly highly processed foods here or any foods with sugars or carbohydrates?

Old 09-24-2020, 01:01 PM

13,036 posts, read 7,169,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Can you clarify here? Are you talking about strictly highly processed foods here or any foods with sugars or carbohydrates?
64 oz sugar soda bag of potato chips all that stuff high carb diets mixed with sedentary lifestyle. It's not rocket science don't eat so much junk food, and exercise daily.

The amounts of sodium who knows what that is doing can't be good. I don't eat any fast food if I have to I order a salad. I exercise daily hike ride mountain bikes have to stay active or you will be dead before 60's.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:03 PM

672 posts, read 693,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Here's what you said:

However, the map you posted shows no such thing.

Furthermore, not all those states have GOP leadership. KY's governor, for example, is a Dem.

It's also important to note that the maps I posted from the exact same source, depicting Black and Hispanic obesity, respectively, show MANY more states including blue states as dark red (highest obesity rate).

There is no doubt whatsoever that Blacks, Hispanics, and the poor are the 3 demographic groups that have the highest obesity rates. And all 3 groups overwhelmingly vote Dem. Those are just the indisputable facts.

You knew what they meant, but you have an agenda, so you're twisting the point that they where making. The obesity rate keeps getting posted in this thread but the combined rate for obesity & being overweight is conveniently being left out. That rate is 71% among adults. That means that 7/10 adults are at an unhealthy weight. That's an indisputable fact. At the rate you're hitting the whole political and economic spectrum. Seem like it's a problem everyone should be concerned about, no matter political affiliation or economic class.

Last edited by dc1538; 09-24-2020 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-24-2020, 01:04 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,110,888 times
Doordash, UberEats, etc. even make it that much more convenient to access and consume junk food.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
64 oz sugar soda bag of potato chips all that stuff high carb diets mixed with sedentary lifestyle. It's not rocket science don't eat so much junk food, and exercise daily.

The amounts of sodium who knows what that is doing can't be good. I don't eat any fast food if I have to I order a salad. I exercise daily hike ride mountain bikes have to stay active or you will be dead before 60's.
A high carb diet can include organic pasta and pasta sauce, rice etc. completely different than eating ultra processed foods such as potato chips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.