Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 06:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And with no end in sight.

We now live in a world that is fully aware of the benefits of exercise and maintaining a healthy weight and a balanced diet, and never before have we had so much information that is readily available for us to use. Online calculators can program how much calories we should be eating, the healthy kinds of food we should be eating, and how much and what kind of exercise programs to best reach our goals.

Yet the obesity rate continues to rise year after year.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/09/u...on-record.html
The side effects of massive prosperity.
Ever see a fat Cuban, Iranian, or Venezuelan, these days?

It means your tribe is doing really well with the resources it needs.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:39 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
100 years ago, almost no one "went to the gym" except for boxers, now there's a gym on practically every corner and we still have this obesity epidemic.
Those who go to gyms are a very small percentage of the population, all the exercise equipment, treadmills are just window dressing. People are just not active enough and many have poor diets especially fast foods and sugary drinks.

China and even countries like Ghana are developing obesity and diabetes issues due to fast food.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:44 PM

18,439 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
What do you expect from a society where no one in charge that actually has power takes responsibility for ANYTHING
so it's the government's fault...

you want the government to dictate what people can and can't eat...and how much they weigh

Old 09-19-2020, 06:57 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you arent but everyone else is.
Why this obsession over what other people weigh?
Oh god. Obesity increases medical costs and strain on our infrastructure.

It lowers our able body labor pool and makes foriegn migrant labor more necessary.

It's making recruits harder to come by for national security reasons.

All things necessary to uphold the markets, individual property, and monetary valuation. The stuff you love.

Can you just stop with the "who cares what everyone else does, it doesn't affect me" shtick?

Old 09-19-2020, 06:59 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The side effects of massive prosperity.
Ever see a fat Cuban, Iranian, or Venezuelan, these days?

It means your tribe is doing really well with the resources it needs.
Iranians die from obesity at a higher rate than Americans.

What are you talking about, have you tried Iranian food? Its filled with rice and proteins.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:03 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
. Its the crap being put in people's mouths by corporations. But god forbid we blame the businesses and the rich of anything.
I have never seen someone forced to eat at these food establishments. I have only been to one fast food in my entire life, I have yet seen anyone come and force me to do so.

As for non-fast food, I have never seen anyone force another person to purchase and consume specific products. I go to my grocery store and buy what I want, and eat it, so far no one has forced me to buy anything other than what I wanted.

So yes, the blame is on the consumer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Take any study that uses BMI to "measure" fat with a healthy dose of salt.
BMI is for populations, not individuals, so the study is correct in using it.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:22 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I have never seen someone forced to eat at these food establishments. I have only been to one fast food in my entire life, I have yet seen anyone come and force me to do so.

As for non-fast food, I have never seen anyone force another person to purchase and consume specific products. I go to my grocery store and buy what I want, and eat it, so far no one has forced me to buy anything other than what I wanted.

So yes, the blame is on the consumer.

BMI is for populations, not individuals, so the study is correct in using it.
BMI sucks at populations too:

Top 10 Reasons Why The BMI Is Bogus

Old 09-19-2020, 07:36 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I doubt that's what's doing it. Most people have enough sense not to eat that stuff every day. Eating that once a week or so isn't going to make people fat.

Sedentary lifestyle is what's doing it. Too much sitting on the couch, playing with the cell phone, time spent burning off very few calories. I eat a garbage diet, a fair amount of fast food... But I have a physically demanding job, and I work 70 hours a week. Maybe not the healthiest lifestyle, but I'm burning lots of calories, and am near underweight for my height, and always have been.

Try getting Americans off the couch, and watch the lard melt. And bring back some of those physically demanding jobs from China that democrats look down upon. China is making America fat and lazy, and democrats couldn't be more happy about that.
What physically demanding jobs in China?

I'm at a loss for what they might be.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:41 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
What I dont get is we complain about fat people being slobs and disgusting yet moan and compassion when government offers solutions like the soda ban or Haoh Meals without toys...

Old 09-19-2020, 07:44 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,790 times
There’s a documentary out there called “King Korn” that pretty much explains the food problem in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies