Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 03:26 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The man said it. And given his unbounded narcissism I have no doubt he meant it.

Churches did not have to close - they simply needed to temporarily adjust their methods of congregating. Online services were held and the business (missions like supporting those in need) of the church continued. Where there's a will (or true faith), there's a way.
Indeed. Our church certainly did not close. The building closed, but worship continued. Weirdly, I spend more time at church now than I did before the pandemic. We have added a mid-week service and multiple new study and social groups, who meet using Zoom. There have been socially-distanced outdoor events all summer long. I continue to sing by recording hymns during the week, even though we cannot meet as a choir. It’s been an adjustment, but in some ways I feel even more connected now than I did before the pandemic. The best part has been continuing to see those who moved away and now can join us again virtually, including a handful of college students who normally fall off the map when they go away to school. We are still an active faith community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 03:48 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Indeed. Our church certainly did not close. The building closed, but worship continued.
Exactly. Just like I'm working from home because the building I typically work in has been temporarily closed. My company did not close and work goes on. It may look different but the work is still there. We are fortunate that much can continue despite the circumstances. How some of these people would have survived pioneer times I do not know. You make it work.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:12 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
For a guy that doesn’t want to cause a panic, he sure likes to paint the opposition as a supernatural enemy entity.
https://www.businessinsider.com/dona...arolina-2020-9

Not to mention the fact that Biden is obviously a religious man and Trump is not.
The closer it gets to election the more bizarre he will become.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:14 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Trump: There will be no God if Biden wins
Yea, sure Donald. Only you can give us God.....

Old 09-20-2020, 04:18 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
For a guy that doesn’t want to cause a panic, he sure likes to paint the opposition as a supernatural enemy entity.
https://www.businessinsider.com/dona...arolina-2020-9

Not to mention the fact that Biden is obviously a religious man and Trump is not.
It's clear he doesn't understand or know religion.

God doesn't disappear with politics...and if you think he does...you don't know or have religion either.

It's silly. And for Catholics -- kind of insulting. The implication is that Catholicism isn't a real religion.

That may not play well with some.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:19 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,511,188 times
You really have to hand it to Trump, his ignorance of religion is astounding. This year, he tweeted Happy Good Friday. Good Friday refers to the crucifixion of Jesus, a day of mourning for Christians around the world. Easter, on Sunday, marks the celebration of Christ's resurrection. I am not sure which is more astounding, his statement about this or that there were airplanes during the American Revolution.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How any true Christian (or frankly any religious belief but sadly "Christians" seem to make up his most fervent supporters) can support a man who claims that God's very existence depends on him being elected I have no idea.
I don't understand it.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:27 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Presumably he means there will be no religion if we elect a devout Catholic. Kind of a head scratcher that one.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:31 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
You really have to hand it to Trump, his ignorance of religion is astounding. This year, he tweeted Happy Good Friday. Good Friday refers to the crucifixion of Jesus, a day of mourning for Christians around the world. Easter, on Sunday, marks the celebration of Christ's resurrection. I am not sure which is more astounding, his statement about this or that there were airplanes during the American Revolution.
Please tell me you’re kidding. Presbyterians most certainly observe Holy Week, and he’s married to a Catholic. How is it possible that he could have missed the significance of Good Friday? I just don’t understand my fellow Christians embrace of Donald Trump as a leader. I really don’t.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I don’t necessarily believe this guy. Or consider myself very religious, but it is an eye opening read:
https://www.benjaminlcorey.com/could...l-predictions/
Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies