Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you consider relocating to or relocating from a liberal metropolitan area today?
Relocate to or staying in a liberal metropolitan area 24 26.37%
Relocate from or move from a liberal metropolitan area 67 73.63%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 12:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Liberal doesn't equate to urban. I've always lived in small towns or suburbia and I am liberal. (not extremist, just liberal.) Wouldn't like crammed into a city for anything. In fact, around here, the small towns are liberal, no red stuff.
They think all liberals and blacks live in urban areas.

Nevermind that African Americans are historically the most rural Americans in this country outside of the natives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 12:09 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times
Good question. There was a time that I wouldn't care where my neighbors were politically but now I do. There has been so much nastiness coming from democrats that it just saddens me. We can't even have a respectable debate about policy or issues anymore like we used too. I'm pretty sure I would not want to live in a predominately democrat neighborhood and I most definitely would not move to one now. When my hubby and I moved from Texas to Florida in July, I researched the political climate in the area where we ultimately bought our house more than I researched the HOA rules.

Old 09-21-2020, 12:36 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Liberal doesn't equate to urban. I've always lived in small towns or suburbia and I am liberal. (not extremist, just liberal.) Wouldn't like crammed into a city for anything. In fact, around here, the small towns are liberal, no red stuff.
Well a few questions based on your post.
Do you consider yourself an old school liberal, vigorously defending the 1st Amendment and extoling the virtues of Voltaire?
Or are you a modern day one who thinks speech that does not comport with societal standards should be suppressed?

Second, liberal vs. conservative governance can be different than the political aspects, especially when you can have common shared values in a fiscal and law & order sense.
For example my last post in this thread;

https://www.city-data.com/forum/59211827-post89.html

Plus a quick bonus question. What do you mean by "no red stuff"

`

Old 09-21-2020, 02:58 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,237,693 times
In a sense, I did so this year.

I lived in a wealthy, conservative county with low crime, but it was adjacent and dependent upon the larger, poorer, uneducated Democrat county ran by inept Democrats (redundant, I know). Even when my county made strides in the economic development of the MSA, the larger county used CON laws and other lobbyist-style avenues to suppress it because they did not want to share the glory of success.

So, no one succeeded.

An amazing opportunity came from nowhere early this year and it brought me to a much larger MSA that is overwhelmingly conservative and prosperous. Not perfect, but tangible improvements across the board.

You could not pay me enough to live in a liberal city/state. Primarily because the government will redistribute most of my earnings to their own pockets while the people that elected them destroy the businesses and livelihoods of those that pay taxes.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:44 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I thought the same thing. I visited San Francisco. I stepped on a needle. There were tents and feces everywhere. It was not a fun experience. Never again for me.
Bernie said he isn't thinking in terms of Cuba, but in terms of Denmark and Sweden.

Besides, if "the left" has its Cuba, then the Right has it's Guatemala and El Salvador.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:33 AM

2,774 posts, read 902,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I bought my place in 98. The new building right next to me just built, townhomes. Just sold for 780k.

****ing apartment just sold for more than three quarters of a million dollars.

I'm sitting on 300K of equity. That is a huge reason, coupled with the lefty poltics and extreme expense is why so many people are leaving the state.

I'm 51, I could buy a house in AZ for free or have a small 40k mortgage. I can retire at 55 instead of 75. I can have streets that aren't filled with drug addicts.....

I can enjoy a **** Ton less traffic... i mean just go down the line of all of the reasons why CA sucks, comparing to AZ.
I've watched the population of Maricopa County go from 1.5 million to almost 4.5 million since I came to AZ in 81. So, like the native Arizonans including my wife, who lamented the expansion of their city when I arrived, I'm going through the same thing now. But compared to the LA metro Phoenix metro is like moving to a much smaller city. I'm guessing many CA to AZ migrants share your story. In 2019, 68,000 people moved to Arizona from California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies