Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 10:55 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
So you have no proof.

Got it.

Read the news, be informed. It's not my job to educate you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 11:00 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post

If you're going to say something is a fact, be prepared for someone to ask for proof.

It's obvious you don't have proof and are caught in a lie ... this seems to be a pattern with you, no matter what the topic.

Old 09-22-2020, 11:01 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Look up Margaret Altwell and what her book is based on. I don't know what else to say to you.
I know what to say to you: You should pay more attention and be more informed.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/09/22...andmaids-tale/

On Monday, Newsweek made the same comparison in a piece that that had be corrected with the following note:

Correction: This article’s headline originally stated that People of Praise inspired ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’. The book’s author, Margaret Atwood, has never specifically mentioned the group as being the inspiration for her work. A New Yorker profile of the author from 2017 mentions a newspaper clipping as part of her research for the book of a different charismatic Catholic group, People of Hope. Newsweek regrets the error.

At least Newsweek had the decency to correct their lie. But as is the MO of such publications, they come out with a correction after lie has spread and become real in the minds of the ignorant.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:52 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
I looked it up and found no connection between Margaret Atwoods book and any group that Amy Barret is involved in. You're no doubt hanging your hat on the fact that she was involved in a Catholic group People of Praise that used the terms "head" and "handmaiden" (Biblical terms) when it first emerged in the early 70's, terms that are no longer in use. I could find no connection between People of Praise and Margaret Atwoods book.

Reading the info on The Handmaidens Tale on Wiki it mentions various things that Margaret Atwood used as inspiration, starting with the Puritans, which she then made into a story by imagining things that could occur if people in power twisted religion into something it could use to control the population with for their own gain.

You're obviously much more educated that I am on this topic so is there anything you'd like to add?

Old 09-23-2020, 01:19 AM

2,450 posts, read 972,723 times
[quote=natalie469;59227992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
I prefer Lagoa too. I think she checks off all the boxes
Woman
Brillant
Experienced
Republican
Conservative
Catholic
Tough on illegal aliens
Cuban
Latina
Florida
Not bad to look at.

I think Lagoa would have an easier time getting through the Senate,

Barrett would get through too.[/QUOTE]

Good God, I would hope not. She and her husband are part of a religious group that was the inspiration for The Handmaid Tales. Talk about taking our country going backwards. No thank you.
You poor, poor, sad soul. You fell for the #FAKENEWS, AGAIN! That story was a hoax and has been debunked.
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...ource=facebook

Old 09-23-2020, 01:43 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
[quote=Hammer Time;59228571]
Quote:

You poor, poor, sad soul. You fell for the #FAKENEWS, AGAIN! That story was a hoax and has been debunked.
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...ource=facebook
She is an admitted liar and doesn't care about perpetuating BS. It's how they roll!

Old 09-23-2020, 02:38 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The lady from Florida, with Cuban heritage will.
Lagoa, I think her name is.

If he picks Barrett, Trump will have 8 judges trying to figure out a contested election.

Think about it politically too.
Florida,
Cuban Heritage(Latino)
Woman.

Barrett will most likely be confirmed if she is nominated. Lagoa is a better choice possibly from a short term political perspective.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:30 AM

6,105 posts, read 3,341,443 times
If I was Trump, I’d have someone (definitely not anyone who could be tied back to his staff) ask this one question to both Barrett and Lagoa:

If the election come down to a SCOTUS decision, will you vote in favor of Republicans? If they can’t give an unequivocal yes, they don’t get nominated.

We are in scorched earth, bare knuckle political brawling. Let’s drop the phony pretense that either side is following any rules that they don’t want to.

If you believe your side isn’t cheating, you are either lying to yourself or stupid.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:35 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
She is a monopolist who believes the libertarian spiel about corporate power and private equity.

She is a terrible choice, one of the worst picks possible.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:35 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I agree with the OP that Judge Barbara Logoa would be better. She has more experience, and breezed through her last confirmation hearing.

If its Barrett, and the Dems bring up her Catholisism, I'd reply....John F. Kennedy!
Why go back that far? Reply Biden or Pelosi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies