Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2020, 07:49 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times

Advertisements

Trump EO against TikTok was meant to force them to either sell to Microsoft or get banned. The end result could be described as a glorified hosting deal. The safeguards won't work, ByteDance will remain in control and can spy and push pro-China propaganda like before.

The EO against WeChat was meant to prevent China from spying on Chinese citizens abroad. I believe they would have done that by removing WeChat from the app stores in America and preventing messages from going through American servers, which would be similar to an IP-ban. I believe this would be backfired, because Chinese abroad are already familiar with using VPN to circumvent Chinese censorship, and would have used the same VPNs to go around the american ban. This would have not prevented China from spying on Chinese citizens and would prevent the US from spying on Chinese citizens in America. Anyway, it got blocked by the courts and most likely won't be resolved before after the election.

But what if this exactly what Trump wanted? Banning TikTok outright would have hurt Trump among young voters, and the Oracle deal can be sold as a win. Banning WeChat would have been contraproductive like I described above, but since the EO got blocked by a San Fransisco court, then it can get blamed on the Democrats.

Trump has now won the anti-China vote and can focus on other issues like filling the vacant Supreme Court seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 08:05 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Maybe to fool the simpletons. But that’s not hard.

Figured his banning was on shaky grounds to begin with. The tiktok one would’ve been thrown out too. This is America. Whether it’s Chinese or something else we don’t just ban things like that.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:54 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Maybe to fool the simpletons. But that’s not hard.

Figured his banning was on shaky grounds to begin with. The tiktok one would’ve been thrown out too. This is America. Whether it’s Chinese or something else we don’t just ban things like that.
I agree.

However, it is only not hard if you are the only one speaking, which is why censorship is so popular among authoritarians. But Trump is in competition with Democrats for the simpleton vote and by doing this he will get the anti-China vote.

Based on my observations from users on Reddit, which should be above average, I think a vast majority are simpletons. They didn't even understand how users will get around the ban, and seriously thought that Chinese Americans will be forced to use another app to communciate with their family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies