Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 01:35 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Vt. grocery worker claims he was fired for stopping purse thief (link)

It seems that anarchism is spreading from Minneapolis to Seattle (remember CHAZ and CHOP) to Portland and now to bucolic Essex, Vermont, near Burlington. It seems that Amir Shedyak, an Essex resident and four year employee of a Hannaford supermarket chased a purse snatcher across a parking lot after a shopper had her wallet stolen. Mr. Shedyak allegedly grabbed the perpetrator from behind. While the criminal was able to escape and flee, Mr. Shedyakwas able to grab the purse and return it.

His reward from the store was being fired. It appears that society is siding with the people who would steal, loot, smash and destroy this country and hard-working, decent people.

This is not necessarily new. On December 22 or 23, 1975 I was working at Macy's in White Plains as a temporary seasonal worker. It was a snowy night and the store probably should have closed. I was approached, in an empty floor, by a man quite a bit bigger and taller than myself. Security was nowhere to be found. The man demanded that I give him some money "since his car was stuck." I reached into my wallet and gave him $5.00. I was fired the next day. Granted I did not lose much in the way of earnings; a $2.10 (I think) minimum wage multiplied by about five hours does not add up to much, even in those days.

But the lesson remains; society has no stomach to confront criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 01:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
It’s not stomach it’s endless law suits
That causes this behavior

Old 09-21-2020, 01:39 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
So a private company fired a private employee.

Ok.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
It’s not stomach it’s endless law suits
That causes this behavior
As a lawyer I can tell you I would never take the perpetrator's lawsuit. Those people are terrible plaintiffs. They may not show up for depositions or court, and may be in custody at the time. They almost certainly will "take the 5th" during a deposition, which would be the death knell to their suit. That is because the finder of fact must draw a "negative inference" from an assertion of the privilege.

Again it's possible, but unrealistic, to expect a lawsuit. If the insurance company paid on that kind of a suit, it would be a further illustration of my point as to the inversion of good and bad people

Old 09-21-2020, 01:58 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
As a lawyer I can tell you I would never take the perpetrator's lawsuit. Those people are terrible plaintiffs. They may not show up for depositions or court, and may be in custody at the time. They almost certainly will "take the 5th" during a deposition, which would be the death knell to their suit. That is because the finder of fact must draw a "negative inference" from an assertion of the privilege.

Again it's possible, but unrealistic, to expect a lawsuit. If the insurance company paid on that kind of a suit, it would be a further illustration of my point as to the inversion of good and bad people
There are numerous things that can occur between theft of the purse to a possible apprehension.

- a shot customer

- thousands of dollars of merchandise destroyed by god know's what (maybe a getaway driver hitting the gas in drive instead of reverse going through the store front)

- other thieves working with the original perp can now walk out with the store as the well-meaning employee chases the dude down the street

- the perp knocks over an old man killing him as the well-meaning employee gives chase

25 plus years in loss prevention/private security now a consultant in the field. I can ramble off hundreds of examples.

Businesses have a set policy and have to stick with it to keep their insurance terms kosher.

I don't know what policy this store had in place and it's likely they didn't communicate it well with their people (know this from personal experience) but it is what it is.

Old 09-21-2020, 02:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,409 times
I've been looking for a GoFundMe page for the hero. No luck. Anybody finds one, please let me know.

Old 09-21-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
I've been looking for a GoFundMe page for the hero. No luck. Anybody finds one, please let me know.
I think he's too proud to beg. He already has another job.

Old 09-21-2020, 06:16 PM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Vt. grocery worker claims he was fired for stopping purse thief (link)

It seems that anarchism is spreading from Minneapolis to Seattle (remember CHAZ and CHOP) to Portland and now to bucolic Essex, Vermont, near Burlington. It seems that Amir Shedyak, an Essex resident and four year employee of a Hannaford supermarket chased a purse snatcher across a parking lot after a shopper had her wallet stolen. Mr. Shedyak allegedly grabbed the perpetrator from behind. While the criminal was able to escape and flee, Mr. Shedyakwas able to grab the purse and return it.

His reward from the store was being fired. It appears that society is siding with the people who would steal, loot, smash and destroy this country and hard-working, decent people.

This is not necessarily new. On December 22 or 23, 1975 I was working at Macy's in White Plains as a temporary seasonal worker. It was a snowy night and the store probably should have closed. I was approached, in an empty floor, by a man quite a bit bigger and taller than myself. Security was nowhere to be found. The man demanded that I give him some money "since his car was stuck." I reached into my wallet and gave him $5.00. I was fired the next day. Granted I did not lose much in the way of earnings; a $2.10 (I think) minimum wage multiplied by about five hours does not add up to much, even in those days.

But the lesson remains; society has no stomach to confront criminals.
The supermarket claimed they have a ‘hands off’ policy towards customers. WTH? So the purse snatcher was a customer?? LOL only in VT. I also heard that the employee was hired right away by another company.

Old 09-21-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
The supermarket claimed they have a ‘hands off’ policy towards customers. WTH? So the purse snatcher was a customer?? LOL only in VT. I also heard that the employee was hired right away by another company.
You don't understand. A customer is someone who wants to take something of value from the store, even if it belongs to another person and even if they have no intention of paying for what they take.

Old 09-21-2020, 07:21 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
They should bring back public shaming as part of creative sentencing. Pay a BIG fine if you're caught shoplifting ( a few grand) or spend several hours chained up outside the store in a prison jumpsuit with a sign stating that you are a thief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies