Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 08:59 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He is just getting started, because the 32K fines cost him $16 million, but he said he will spend a heck of a lot more than that in Florida.

Unfortunately for him, many of these felons won't bother to vote at all.

At least Florida gets the money. Redistribution of wealth.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:59 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
They said they would do whatever it takes to get Trump out. This election is looking less legitimate by the day.
there's actually nothing illegitimate about this.
the law says that fines have to be paid, so it doesn't matter if it's via a stranger or a family member. they are legally allowed to vote, unlike illegal immigrants.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:00 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My 2 cents:

1) It's legal and allowable under the law so if Bloomberg or anyone else wants to do this then I have no issue with it. All this changing and whining about the rules\laws in place when they don't suit you is pathetic by both parties.

2) I can see losing voting rights while incarcerated. I think you guys are thinking presidential and missing the impact on a more local level. For example, the Louisiana State Pen has 5k inmates and the parish it's in only has 16k residents, so they might make up 1/3 of the voting age adults in the parish. Imagine their ability to impact local politics?

3) Once you are out of jail, then I personally feel that your voting rights should be restored, but that should be up to the laws that people vote for.
Agreed on all points.

Reps to you!

Old 09-22-2020, 09:00 AM

764 posts, read 235,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
If you have repaid your debt to society, your rights should be restored.
All of them.………. including the right to keep and bear arms. Yes?

Old 09-22-2020, 09:01 AM

17,423 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why should felons be allowed to vote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
they shouldnt

Of course they should.

They served their time and paid their debt to society - why shouldn't their voting rights be restored?

Bloomberg paying their fines is obviously entirely politically motivated - obviously - but there is no reason that those citizens shouldn't be able to cast a vote.

Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
The laws keeping people with felony records from voting are not so very different from Jefferson's idea that only landowners should vote.

I'm reading "The New Jim Crow", and it's compelling. Since most people are in prison for drug crimes, it does seem like you're skewing the voting population to not allow those who disagree with the drug laws to have a voice.

Very effectively silencing the resistance.

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
Based on my opinion. Where did i say it was stated in the constitution?
Your opinion plus a dollar bill won’t buy a bad cup of coffee at the dirtiest greasy spoon in America.

Bottom line is that if Trump is as inevitable as you folks claim, you’ve got nothing to worry about. Let this roll off your back. It’s nothing. Right?

Old 09-22-2020, 09:02 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You're 100% correct....and vice-versa.

Of course! Both parties have only their own interests in mind, the country's second at best. As far as I'm concerned the best thing that could happen for the future of this country would be the two major parties destroying each other.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:03 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
In most states felons have their voting rights restored no later than the completion of their sentence (including any parole). IN only about 10-11 states is it not automatic or subject to a waiting period or the need to petition for reinstatement. Florida is probably the most stringent state as far as reinstatement goes. There was a constitutional amendment passed by the voters in 2018 to restore rights after the sentence has been completed. The legislature then tried to water that down as much as possible by specifying that completion of the sentence includes the payment of all outstanding fines. This has been viewed by some as disadvantaging poor people over those with means with respect to voting rights. So just to clarify, most ex-felons in the position of these people would already have their voting rights back in most states other than Florida. I understand in Maine and Vermont felons never even lose that right, even while incarcerated.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:04 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
They will lose as many votes as they plan to gain over this. The current law and order climate is not a good issue for Democrats .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies