Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 12:01 PM

924 posts, read 1,677,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Bloomberg in hot water in admitted 3 degree felony vote buying scam in Florida !!!

Lets see if his money can keep him out of jail !!!

Gaetz calls for election bribery probe of Bloomberg over pledge to pay Florida felons' fines
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mat...omberg-florida

"[Under Florida law] it’s a third-degree felony for someone to either directly or indirectly provide something of value to impact whether or not someone votes," Gaetz explained. "So the question is whether or not paying off someone’s fines and legal obligations counts as something of value, and it clearly does.

"Normally, it would be very difficult to prove that that was directly linked to impacting whether or not someone was going to vote. But they literally wrote their own admission."

“We know to win Florida we will need to persuade, motivate and add new votes to the Biden column. This means we need to explore all avenues for finding the needed votes when so many votes are already determined.
The last bolded statement is just the starting point. From there I am sure they will look at who actually had their fines paid by Bloomberg. If there is a pattern of seeking out and paying the fines of only/mostly former felons who registered as Democrats or NPA, Bloomberg will have a problem. Of course, there is still time for him to correct his course and distribute equally.

I'm not sure how effective this program will be in the end. I wouldn't put it past most convicted felons to register to vote and apply to have their fines paid without bothering to follow through and vote for anyone at all. Bloomberg is relying completely on the honor and integrity of convicted felons who say they plan to vote and I'm going to guess that many of them come up short in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 12:02 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
He intended to provide funds to certain felons. ones likely to vote Democrat.
and you know that, how?

Old 09-24-2020, 12:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Bloomberg isn't trying to influence how these individuals vote. He's just contributing to a fund that will pay their fines so they can vote if they want to.
This is so easily understood that you’d think these right winger types would easily get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
^^^^^^^
Comedy gold!
Glad you could laugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
LOL! Delusional much?

Wow. Yeah, Bloomberg spends hundreds of millions of dollars or billions just so he can be a nice guy.
When did conservatives start caring about how billionaires spend their money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
I respectfully disagree. Money is a HUGE motivator and influencer in this world, for good or bad.
Bloomberg is a snake in the grass, just as Soros is. Two peas in a pod.
Oh yeah. You’re now fed up with money’s influence? LMAO!

Why didn’t you right wingers care about the influence of money in Citizens United? Corporations are people, remember?

Old 09-24-2020, 12:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
You can malign the people on this forum all you want !!!
The AG of Florida Ashley Moody does have a law degree and is in position to use it for the benefit of all concerned !!!

This isn't a court room but most people know there are lawyers arguing cases before a judge in a court room and they have different opinions !!! So who is the expert and who/what is a judge ?

There are a lot of people on the left that keep saying we need to have these uncomfortable conversations but the left seems to want to shut it down when they hear opinions different from their own !!!

Why is that ?
I think we need to have these conversations. I find these conversations very informative, whether I agree with a poster's perspective or not. Everyone has a unique viewpoint to contribute, and there's so much information (and disinformation) that needs to be brought out.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:45 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Where did Florida voters say that felons have to pay their own fines, court costs, restitution (which the state of Florida seems to be unable to determine the total a felon owes)? If family members paid the fines, would that be wrong?
It is in the language of the referendum,

"No. 4 Constitutional Amendment Article VI, Section 4. Voting Restoration Amendment This amendment restores the voting rights of Floridians with felony convictions after they complete all terms of their sentence including parole or probation. The amendment would not apply to those convicted of murder or sexual offenses, who would continue to be permanently barred from voting unless the Governor and Cabinet vote to restore their voting rights on a case by case basis."

It says "all terms of their sentencing", sentencing means,

"The term sentence in law refers to punishment that was actually ordered or could be ordered by a trial court in a criminal procedure.[1] A sentence forms the final explicit act of a judge-ruled process as well as the symbolic principal act connected to their function. The sentence can generally involve a decree of imprisonment, a fine, and/or punishments against a defendant convicted of a crime."

In which "fines" and "punishments" are part of the sentencing.

When I voted "yes", I voted that way understanding the felon completes their sentencing, that means pay any money owed as well.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:01 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Because Bloomberg raised money in conjunction with Florida Rights Restoration Coalition. The Florida Rights Restoration Coalition will identify who and how much. Bloomberg will have nothing to do with the distribution of the moneys, and the FRRC is on the record of asserting that they will be paying fines, debts and restitution without regard to political party of the recipients. There is nothing to tie Bloomberg to any criminality. Contributing to the FRRC is not illegal.
Yes, I get that !!!

I also get that its still problematic for Bloomberg due to his stated intent through a spokesperson !!! So he has wiggle room !!!
It doesn't mater who he gave it to or what they do with it !!!

Thing of value - to persuade or entice a vote

Moody said the memo raised concerns.

"When you look at the memo and what was alleged, when you hear words like we need to get this done, investing money to targeted particular group of voters that may be predisposed to vote a certain way, that raises concerns that you are directly influencing or even indirectly giving money to persuade votes to go a certain way," Moody told "Fox & Friends."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/flo...-investigation

Old 09-24-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It is in the language of the referendum,

"No. 4 Constitutional Amendment Article VI, Section 4. Voting Restoration Amendment This amendment restores the voting rights of Floridians with felony convictions after they complete all terms of their sentence including parole or probation. The amendment would not apply to those convicted of murder or sexual offenses, who would continue to be permanently barred from voting unless the Governor and Cabinet vote to restore their voting rights on a case by case basis."

It says "all terms of their sentencing", sentencing means,

"The term sentence in law refers to punishment that was actually ordered or could be ordered by a trial court in a criminal procedure.[1] A sentence forms the final explicit act of a judge-ruled process as well as the symbolic principal act connected to their function. The sentence can generally involve a decree of imprisonment, a fine, and/or punishments against a defendant convicted of a crime."

In which "fines" and "punishments" are part of the sentencing.

When I voted "yes", I voted that way understanding the felon completes their sentencing, that means pay any money owed as well.
Then why did Florida have to pass a law clarifying that????

Old 09-24-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Yes, I get that !!!

I also get that its still problematic for Bloomberg due to his stated intent through a spokesperson !!! So he has wiggle room !!!
It doesn't mater who he gave it to or what they do with it !!!

Thing of value -

Moody said the memo raised concerns.

"When you look at the memo and what was alleged, when you hear words like we need to get this done, investing money to targeted particular group of voters that may be predisposed to vote a certain way, that raises concerns that you are directly influencing or even indirectly giving money to persuade votes to go a certain way," Moody told "Fox & Friends."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/flo...-investigation
Wiggle room?

He gives money to the FRRC, because they are raising funds to pay felons' debts. The FRRC distributes the money. Your position is that billionaires cannot give money to charities with political agendas. That's absurd. Please tell the Koch brothers immediately.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
You can malign the people on this forum all you want !!!
The AG of Florida Ashley Moody does have a law degree and is in position to use it for the benefit of all concerned !!!

This isn't a court room but most people know there are lawyers arguing cases before a judge in a court room and they have different opinions !!! So who is the expert and who/what is a judge ?

There are a lot of people on the left that keep saying we need to have these uncomfortable conversations but the left seems to want to shut it down when they hear opinions different from their own !!!

Why is that ?
There's a difference between writing, 'In my opinion' or 'I don't think/believe' and making emphatic claims with a lot of exclamation points as though one is a seasoned attorney.

I posted a link to a renowned attorney that our own government calls upon for his expert advice and was TOLD that it was wrong.

That's pure idiocy.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:11 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Wiggle room?

He gives money to the FRRC, because they are raising funds to pay felons' debts. The FRRC distributes the money. Your position is that billionaires cannot give money to charities with political agendas. That's absurd. Please tell the Koch brothers immediately.
No That's not my position !!!

My position is Blooming Idiot laid out the reason he was giving the money and that is his intent and that made what he was doing illegal !!!

I don't know if its possible but if I was a states attorney I would seek to freeze the money from Bloomberg until the investigation was concluded !!! Money should not be used or transferred for an illegal purpose !!!
He could be considered for additional charges if he transferred funds for an illegal purpose !!!

I say let the investigation run its course and hopefully Bloomberg and others involved will cooperate and agree to be interviewed !!!

Last edited by phma; 09-24-2020 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies