Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 05:21 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
You realize we're not the only country that locked down air travel, right? And that companies are deciding not to send employees on business trips?
Should airlines get bailed out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 05:22 AM

6,105 posts, read 3,341,443 times
I’ve flown a bunch of times since this pandemic started for work purposes. I even did an international trip too.

Did I catch Covid? Nope.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:29 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Should airlines get bailed out?
I don't know - would need to see analysis of the options. If senior lenders end up owning the airlines and everyone else down the cap structure gets wiped out, that might be fine. But if the job losses exacerbate the recession and adds years to the recovery, maybe it makes sense for the government to do something.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:36 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’ve flown a bunch of times since this pandemic started for work purposes. I even did an international trip too.

Did I catch Covid? Nope.
Did you fly inside the luggage ?

Old 09-23-2020, 05:59 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
I don't know - would need to see analysis of the options. If senior lenders end up owning the airlines and everyone else down the cap structure gets wiped out, that might be fine. But if the job losses exacerbate the recession and adds years to the recovery, maybe it makes sense for the government to do something.
I agree with this. The problem is, politicians aren't good at doing analysis. Politicians work on emotions and how many votes they think they are going to get in the next election.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:04 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I agree with this. The problem is, politicians aren't good at doing analysis. Politicians work on emotions and how many votes they think they are going to get in the next election.
I think it starts with voters to be honest. Politicians play on emotions because voters on both sides of the aisle respond to them.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:08 AM

1,503 posts, read 607,378 times
Quote:
And, why, exactly, govt need to do anything? We live in a "glorious" system of capitalism. Let the competition decide. The weakest die, the strongest survive. If airlines can't survive, then it's ok. Job losses? Still ok - let the jobless retrain for something else. That was the motto in every other case, why airlines should be any different? Capitalism, remember?

Old 09-23-2020, 06:17 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
And, why, exactly, govt need to do anything? We live in a "glorious" system of capitalism. Let the competition decide. The weakest die, the strongest survive. If airlines can't survive, then it's ok. Job losses? Still ok - let the jobless retrain for something else. That was the motto in every other case, why airlines should be any different? Capitalism, remember?
Under ordinary circumstances, absolutely. Survivial of the fittest. As Gordon Gekko said in "Wall Street"....in my book you either do it right, or you get eliminated.

But here, the government forced the lockdowns. The government stepped in, you might say overreached (I certainly would), and caused the entire mess. Therefore they have responsibility to help get the mess cleaned up.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:22 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
If everyone else jumped out a 10 floor window, would you?

Yes I'm well aware of those items.

The shutdown was supposed to be for 15 days to flatten the curve, remember?
The Media and Democrats (same thing) turned a two week, flatten the curve, temporary lock down into a now seven month and counting "new normal" of oppression and economic destruction. It is criminal and tyrannical. This is not a true pandemic.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:49 AM

1,503 posts, read 607,378 times
Quote:
Under ordinary circumstances, absolutely. Survivial of the fittest. As Gordon Gekko said in "Wall Street"....in my book you either do it right, or you get eliminated.

But here, the government forced the lockdowns. The government stepped in, you might say overreached (I certainly would), and caused the entire mess. Therefore they have responsibility to help get the mess cleaned up.
Nope. Govt didn't shut down airlines. If people decided to avoid flying - well, that's part of the risk business takes on. Let the market decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies