Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 11:49 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times

Advertisements

Most thinking people can easily understand the fact that both parties are pretty much unhinged over their differences, and because of that we see the spittle flying responses from both sides serving as the proof of a terribly dysfunctional body politic in America. Political ads that sow fear and have little relevance to anything constructive to say.

People are at each others throats over their notions of sound bite politics, simply because they are failing to articulate any valid concerns beyond their fear of the other. We used to have the old tradition of platforms and planks serving as the meat and potatoes of debates, now it's a name calling sophomoric spectacle of hatred and divisiveness.

Identity politics from the left and right dominates the conversation while the issues of education, national infrastructure, foreign policy, economics, technology, and a host of others remain orphaned by both parties. If it weren't so damaging, this would make a great comedy series..Oh wait. It already is. Watch for the next episode, coming in November, of--As America Turns..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 12:08 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,646,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Most thinking people can easily understand the fact that both parties are pretty much unhinged over their differences, and because of that we see the spittle flying responses from both sides serving as the proof of a terribly dysfunctional body politic in America. Political ads that sow fear and have little relevance to anything constructive to say.

People are at each others throats over their notions of sound bite politics, simply because they are failing to articulate any valid concerns beyond their fear of the other. We used to have the old tradition of platforms and planks serving as the meat and potatoes of debates, now it's a name calling sophomoric spectacle of hatred and divisiveness.

Identity politics from the left and right dominates the conversation while the issues of education, national infrastructure, foreign policy, economics, technology, and a host of others remain orphaned by both parties. If it weren't so damaging, this would make a great comedy series..Oh wait. It already is. Watch for the next episode, coming in November, of--As America Turns..
Can't wait to see the trailer of "Trump's third term" !!!

Old 09-25-2020, 09:52 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,516 times
Unfortunately, some Republican's are still largely silent on Trump's "peaceful transfer of power comments" as well as his statements over time that are causing doubt in our election process

Old 09-25-2020, 09:53 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,556,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Unfortunately, some Republican's are still largely silent on Trump's "peaceful transfer of power comments" as well as his statements over time that are causing doubt in our election process
Probably because they lack the TDS required to eat up your propaganda.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:57 AM

8,496 posts, read 4,558,569 times
What Trump, the GOP, and their supporters are doing to undermine the US electoral process is a national disgrace. These people are doing all they can to destroy faith and trust in America.

Old 09-25-2020, 11:58 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
I came up with this post myself, with my own thoughts.

I am an independent voter who voted for Trump and voted for Obama before him. I do regret voting for Trump but I am not reciting or copying anything. I corrected the spelling errors in the title of the main thread and saved it but it does not appear to be updated when others (or myself) view the thread. Excuse me for being human and making some spelling errors. I am sure spelling errors are beneath you.
I always find it interesting to consider why people have voted for Obama and then Trump, because I've long held the belief that people vote according to their ideology more than the individual running for POTUS. Accordingly, people who don't share the same ideology can never come to terms or reconcile their differences. So as to vote for the other guy instead of the guy from their party...

I get the vote for the "outsider." That was at least some of the appeal about Obama. Also Trump, but when the vision or direction represented by candidates is so different, I've never well understood how someone who voted for Obama could then vote for Trump, other than for the most narrow and less important of reasons.

I had just one hope when it came to Trump, and that was to shake up the status quo, but for better rather than worse. I didn't vote for Trump, because I feared the worst, and Trump has proven himself a POTUS worse than I feared. My ideology or political views align far better with what the Democrats represent over what Trump and the GOP represent, and that's the more prevailing reason for me to want Biden to win and Trump gone.

It is troubling either way, that we may have a "rocky" transfer of power, but that's less concerning to me than another 4 years of Trump as POTUS. Too bad we Americans can't get on the same page regarding some of the more important issues, but we Americans have never been too good at that. We have, however, managed to maintain our union so far, and the peaceful transfer of power, with a better-than average-track record since our founding fathers put this whole thing into motion.

Here's to the same sort of progress going forward. Fingers crossed at least we don't go backward...

Old 09-25-2020, 12:00 PM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
President Donald Trump and some Republicans are rushing to select a Supreme court justice, "without delay" in this election year, right before the election which has not been done in over 60 years:
https://www.npr.org/sections/death-o...-without-delay

The majority of American's (even many Republicans agree) that the Supreme court Justice should not be selected during an election year and that the next President should select the Supreme court Justice:
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...justice-419523

Why the Rush to select a Justice in an election year "without delay"?

There is an agenda by our President:

President Trump is losing soundly when all polls done are taken collectively:
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...iden-6247.html

As he slumps further in the polls, Trump claims that the current election will be rigged which is despite evidence from every single election year that voter fraud is only a fraction of 1%:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9578951.html

President Trump hints at his current mindset for rushing a Justice selection in and what he plans on doing if he loses the election:
Trump said:
"We'll want to have — get rid of the ballots and you'll have a very — we'll have a very peaceful — there won't be a transfer, frankly. There'll be a continuation."
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...there-n1240896

Trump's view on if he believes he will stall an election loss and suggested the Supreme Court will have to make a ruling on the Nov. 3 presidential election, so a new justice for the high court should be confirmed before Election Day:
“I think it’s better if you go before the election, because I think this scam that the Democrats are pulling — it’s a scam — the scam will be before the United States Supreme Court,”

“I think having a 4-4 situation is not a good situation, if you get that. I don’t know that you’d get that. I think it should be 8-0 or 9-0, but just in case it would be more political than it should be, I think it’s very important to have a ninth justice.”
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tr...9-23-161035612

Rushing in a Supreme court justice that is of your own political affiliation when we have already seen how political biases play out on both sides of the aisle in the impeachment of Donald Trump because the President wants a more favorable outcome to determine the election is very concerning!

Whether you are a Republican, Independent or Democrat (or something else), these revelations should be very concerning to those who love our free country and our Democratic process.
TL;DR

Just fill the seat !

Old 09-26-2020, 12:35 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,516 times
Will the President and the Republican Senators listen to the voice of the majority of Americans on this current issue or will they attempt to rush / pigeon hole a pick in right before this election this year because they see the polls? We shall see on the next episode of the Reality TV show "America Turns", with Reality TV star turn President, Donald Trump.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:30 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
BS !!!

Trump is faced with insurrection of Mob Rule and fighting against CRT is just one avenue to put an end to insurrection !!!

Being a leader would be another avenue, too bad it's far outside Trump's skillset.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:48 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Because as RBG would say, it's their job to do so.
As his nominee herself said, not to mention all the Republican senators who have said so before, we should not do so...
https://twitter.com/katiephang/statu...639777280?s=21
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies