Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 08:13 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Is there some sort of problem with African Americans being associated with food products that millions of Americans enjoy on a regular basis?
Yeah, I thought the main thing with some of these images is that they make blacks look undignified. But the Cream of Wheat chef just looks like... a chef. He's wearing a proper old time chef's uniform... smiling, confident, competent looking... I don't see the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 08:17 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Is there some sort of problem with African Americans being associated with food products that millions of Americans enjoy on a regular basis?
In grade school I read a book about the life of George Washington Carver, I thought he was great, because he create peanut butter, and what little boy wouldn't like the man who invented it? I never met a black person as a boy, so my impressions were based upon this book. Carver the man overcame slavery and excelled against the odds, it was a very inspiring life.

Also when I was a kid and saw the black man on the box of Cream of Wheat, I just assumed he invented that. Then I saw Aunt Jemima on the pancake syrup and mix, and my young impression of blacks was that they were smart people who invented a lot of good things.

The slow walk of wiping away references of blacks, what's the purpose?

Old 09-24-2020, 08:18 PM

6,100 posts, read 2,721,277 times
Oh watch them go after Fruit loops next

Old 09-24-2020, 08:25 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Another casualty along with Uncle Ben and Aunt Jemima...

B&G Foods to remove black Cream of Wheat chef from packaging

B&G Foods said Thursday it would drop an image of a black chef from the packaging of its Cream of Wheat cereal mix, the latest company to make changes to branding widely considered as racially insensitive.

“For years, the image of an African-American chef appeared on our Cream of Wheat packaging. While research indicates the image may be based upon an actual Chicago chef named Frank White, it reminds some consumers of earlier depictions they find offensive,” B&G Foods said in a statement.

The condiments and sauce maker is expected to roll out new packaging in the first quarter of 2021, it said.

It seemed positive to have him on the box.

The internet is forever.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:28 PM

23,539 posts, read 12,509,523 times
What's wrong with chefs? Many of them make very good money.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:29 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,544,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yeah, I thought the main thing with some of these images is that they make blacks look undignified. But the Cream of Wheat chef just looks like... a chef. He's wearing a proper old time chef's uniform... smiling, confident, competent looking... I don't see the problem.

For some reason, they don't want white people to be able to look at pictures of black people, no matter how positively they are portrayed. The ultimate segregation. Most of the black people I have ever known are very self-segregating. I say "Go for it!"

Old 09-24-2020, 08:33 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,557 times
But white “Jake from State Farm” got replaced by a black
“Jake from State Farm” so what are we to take from all this mental illness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies