Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 12:50 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Let's imagine you pursue a career in an area with an energetic economy and housing prices that reflect the desirability. That will quite often be a deep-blue city. Once you want to perhaps enjoy the fruits of that investment, downsize a bit, slow down a little - well, then it's quite tempting to look at areas where your equity stretches a bit further. And they do tend to be a bit redder. That's just the market.

Why would you be obliged to change your political viewpoint, though?
1. to fit in
2. to prevent ruining an area in which you live
3. to keep crime low
4. to maintain housing values
5. to keep the schools good
6. to keep unemployment down
7. to keep taxes low

That's why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 12:52 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times
To influence/change the vote.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:53 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I would have thought that most people who move from liberal to conservative areas tended to lean more conservative anyway.

But I could be wrong.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:54 PM

764 posts, read 235,214 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlawibQ_QKI

Old 09-25-2020, 12:55 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
To make the popular vote match the electoral vote and turn red states purple and purple states blue.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
They usually don't. People move from NYC or California to other blue cities like Austin and Nashville.

I don't think there is an exodus from LA to the Mississippi Delta.
Same with Oklahoma. The few Californians that come are conservatives who complain about California being too regulated with taxes too high. The move was probably real easy from requesting and getting a job transfer. They love to build big two story houses from the money they got from selling much smaller homes in California.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:58 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It is not "new", but is increasing in volume dramatically.

Heck, there are New Yorkers now in the mountains in Eastern TN, attracted by the scenery, no taxes, and no "diversity". Fortunately there are not enough to make a difference in any election...……… yet.

Unfortunately, they have infested NC and have changed some elections.
Nah, I dunno about that, especially when it comes to liberals moving into hardcore conservative rural areas of NC. Maybe they would move to the larger cities (Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.), but I think they avoid the extreme right wing areas.

It's been my experience (similar to the post above mine) that some of the most extreme far-right people in NC have moved out of liberal states (NY, NJ) because they apparently couldn't take the politics in their home state anymore, and they're moving to states that they think the more conservative or even moderate states are friendlier to their extremist viewpoints. Or is that what you're saying too?

Old 09-25-2020, 01:03 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I've always lived in a red state and mostly rural. We aren't city people. However, even in the smallest town or most rural area we've always been able to find an enclave of liberal friends.
I live in one of most liberal counties in Maryland near DC. I have likewise been able to find an enclave of more moderate and conservative friends.

All of us agree that we need to be careful about voicing our political opinions around here. As in, don't do it.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:03 PM

853 posts, read 337,201 times
Most people are much more apolitical than the lunatics who post about politics on the internet all day long. A lot of "liberals" are really just liberals on election day. Their politics are not the core of their identity, it is just how they vote. Every other day of the year they are just people. People move to places for all sorts of reasons - to be close to family, jobs, specific amenities they like (mountains, ocean, etc.). It is only a narrow group of people who choose where to live explicitly based on politics. It might enter into the equation but isn't the main driver.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:12 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
They go for weather and cost.

NYC is cold.

You can sell your Bergen house for enough to pay cash for a retirement home in the SE. Imagine how little you can live on if you own your home outright owing nothing. If it is a smallish home you can pay very little in property tax because you no longer care about the crappy low funded local schools. I know multitudes of people who moved from NJ literally the summer their last kid graduated HS. Dems and Reps, ideology had nothing to do with it. They cashed out of the high cost NE and its better schools once they no longer needed them.

Neither of these is a new thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies