Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: It over! Which candidate won tonight's debate?
Trump 172 35.32%
Biden 198 40.66%
Neither 117 24.02%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 10:57 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Why are you duplicating your post from late last night? Most of us read it the first time.
How many of the posters in this thread did you ask, before announcing that "most" of them had read it?

Old 09-30-2020, 10:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
"Chaos on the Cuyahoga!"

1.) Trump scored slightly better on important (i.e. substantive) things, and on discussing his record. He came in
slightly behind on interrupting his opponent (He did it 100 times, Biden only did it 95, to make up some
representative "numbers".)
Biden scored slightly better on technique. He spoke directly to the audience more, argued with the moderator
slightly less, and interrupted Trump slightly less.

2.) Biden did as well as he possibly could.
Trump did not do as well as he possibly could.

3.) Though it was an ill-mannered slugfest or brawl for both candidates, it was actually a somewhat better debate than Presidential candidate have put on in the past. Historically, Candidates usually talk past each other, not really answering the questions or each other's points. Here Trump gave more answers of substance, Biden changed the subject slightly more than Trump did (again, they both did it a lot).

4.) Overall, Trump came out slightly ahead, due to his pointing out more he has done that is good, and pointing out more advantageous differences from Biden.

I hope Trump controls himself a little better next debate, doesn't argue with the moderator, and saves his counterpunches for when it's his turn.

IMHO Trump can improve his debate performance with some practice and discipline.
IMHO Biden did as well as he possibly could, and cannot improve his debate performance.

BTW, Trump achieved the performance he did (good points and bad points) without practicing or grilling
by supporters, performing as President with many important issues to deal with and campaign events to
go to for the entire last week.
Biden achieved the performance he did (good and bad points) by shutting down nearly ALL non-debate
activities, and concentrating almost entirely on debate practice for an entire week.

Overall Trump came out looking better, though both candidates racked up a LOT of bad points.
I disagree with your analysis (I'm sure you aren't surprised), but I find it interesting that you seem to laud Trump for not preparing, and diss Biden for preparing.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:59 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Have the initial polling revealed that conclusion from undecided voters. I would be surprised.

You will see the result on Nov 3rd when Trump is declared the winner.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:01 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
I remember that part of the debate but my takeaway from that is entirely different from yours. I don't see it as being weak. I see it as Biden not wanting to sink to the level that Trump did.
Biden was fumbling for words trying to recall what he had practiced. Trump called Biden's son basically a criminal and called Biden an idiot. You can't not respond to those sorts of things. Its very weak. Someone attacks my family or my intelligence I am not just letting that go. He is applying for the job of commander in chief. Appearance of being strong is vital. Biden just laughed over and over. Reagan had the clever debate comeback of "there you go again". Change that slightly to "There he goes again" and look at the camera every time Trump interrupted or attacked.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:01 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I disagree with your analysis (I'm sure you aren't surprised), but I find it interesting that you seem to laud Trump for not preparing, and diss Biden for preparing.
Actually I was pointing out that, even without preparation, Trump came out slightly ahead, while Biden prepared for a solid week and still couldn't put on as substantive a presentation.

If Biden had only done as much prep as Trump did (little or none), how would he have fared?

When a genuine crisis occurs, a President often has little time or opportunity to prepare, especially when other things are happening at the same time (as they often are). He must respond quickly and positively.

Trump definitely showed to advantage in that area.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:02 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Ummm..Trump doesn't have to prepare..he is already the President, why would he need to? its pedo joe who needs to learn how to think of being potus..duh..

Old 09-30-2020, 11:03 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Yes. Biden is the best answer to restore decency and democracy to our government. To a government that strives to work for all of us, instead of a select few.
The fact that you believe this is testament to how dangerous Biden and the DEMs are.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Actually I was pointing out that, even without preparation, Trump came out slightly ahead, while Biden prepared for a solid week and still couldn't put on as substantive a presentation.

If Biden had only done as much prep as Trump did (little or none), how would he have fared?
I don't think Trump did come out ahead. So his lack of preparation hurt him. That's my analysis, anyway.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:04 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Trump didn’t perform well in my opinion.
He handled (explained) a few things well. I thought Law and Order, Supreme Court Nomination and what I thought his weakest position COVID he handled well and made some common sense points that people could understand.
But He needed to let Joe dig his own hole and say baffling things like he tends to do, or better yet force Joe (by giving him time and not interrupting) into explaining his policy. He let Joe off the hook here.

So many people are looking for more common decency from the Presidential post don’t fuel that fire.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:06 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
You will see the result on Nov 3rd when Trump is declared the winner.
So then no empirical data. I thought maybe you were speaking of an actual analysis or poll. Silly me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies