Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 09:48 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

Why can't those on the left, those in the "progressive" movement, respect and accept the civil rights of other people? They have had their protests, some peaceful, most violent and destructive riots, for months. For the most part, nobody has stood oppose them-they have been allowed to commit acts of violence and destruction with few repercussions for months now.

Now look at Portland. A "right wing" group wants to have ONE rally, for one afternoon, to exercise their 1st amendment right to free speech and assembly. Yet, rather than simply staying away and letting them have a peaceful rally, left-wing groups are promising to "counter"-to use violence, force and intimidation. Even the local progressives in government, the mayor and I believe even the governor, has promised to use LE to shut down this peaceful rally.

So, just why is it? Why are progressives so intolerant of the rights of others? Why are they so authoritarian? Why are progressives so quick to embrace violence and destruction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 09:58 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,782 times
They feel like they are superior and one has to believe everything they say, they have no coping skills or communication skills to articulate and debate with anyone who doesn’t agree with them, they resort to calling them names to deflect the fact that they could be proven wrong.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:05 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Because in their minds they have moral and intellectual superiority. They know better for you and me. When in reality they are just oppressive control freaks who want their way all the time. Cancel culture, the removal of statues, symbols, murals, books, rioting, violence, looting, burning, etc. They can't just not read them or look at them. They must take them away from YOU and everyone else.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:09 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Because in their minds they have moral and intellectual superiority. They know better for you and me. When in reality they are just oppressive control freaks who want their won way all the time. Cancel culture, the removal of statues, symbols, murals, books etc. They can't just not read them or look at them. They must take them away from YOU and everyone else.
It’s the cheapest form of power that young kids can manufacture. They don’t own anything, their futures look bleak. So much of their behavior is anger/envy based lashing out against those that have things they’ll never own.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:30 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why can't those on the left, those in the "progressive" movement, respect and accept the civil rights of other people? They have had their protests, some peaceful, most violent and destructive riots, for months. For the most part, nobody has stood oppose them-they have been allowed to commit acts of violence and destruction with few repercussions for months now.

Now look at Portland. A "right wing" group wants to have ONE rally, for one afternoon, to exercise their 1st amendment right to free speech and assembly. Yet, rather than simply staying away and letting them have a peaceful rally, left-wing groups are promising to "counter"-to use violence, force and intimidation. Even the local progressives in government, the mayor and I believe even the governor, has promised to use LE to shut down this peaceful rally.

So, just why is it? Why are progressives so intolerant of the rights of others? Why are they so authoritarian? Why are progressives so quick to embrace violence and destruction?

The Proud Boys are not exactly known for their peaceful protests. Let's get real here. They have a long history of violence beginning with Charlottesville. Yet somehow Trump supporters feel that they have to support thugs like the Proud Boys because Trump has called them a part of "the good people on both sides."

Why do right wingers twist themselves into knots defending white supremacists? Why are YOU so quick to embrace violence and destruction? The far right may think that it's cute to stand up for the "civil rights" of a group of thugs, but this stance only destroys whatever small amount of credibility you may have still had.

The one thing that I do agree with is that members of every other protest group in Portland would be wise to just stay home. The Proud Boys don't need outside help to show themselves up as filled with hate and eager to do harm to anyone who they perceive as getting in their way.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
The Proud Boys are not exactly known for their peaceful protests. Let's get real here. They have a long history of violence beginning with Charlottesville. Yet somehow Trump supporters feel that they have to support thugs like the Proud Boys because Trump has called them a part of "the good people on both sides."

Why do right wingers twist themselves into knots defending white supremacists? Why are YOU so quick to embrace violence and destruction? The far right may think that it's cute to stand up for the "civil rights" of a group of thugs, but this stance only destroys whatever small amount of credibility you may have still had.

The one thing that I do agree with is that members of every other protest group in Portland would be wise to just stay home. The Proud Boys don't need outside help to show themselves up as filled with hate and eager to do harm to anyone who they perceive as getting in their way.
I don’t think left wingers should be lecturing on violence and destruction, I don’t agree with any kind of violence on either side. I do believe in peaceful protests and counter protests with intent of causing violence is wrong. If the proud boys protest turns to violence and riots, they should face charges as should the far leftist should have.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:44 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
It's just how they act.. they have this sort of vibe that they give off that they are more intelligent and enlightened than conservatives, thus we should all just do what they say, for our own good, and if we don't, they whine and rant in their liberal circles. If you don't like that South Dakota is a conservative state don't live here... stop whining that we have our masks off. We aren't going to change for you. (Actually I wear one in moderation because I am tolerant but many don't.)

They are not really as tolerant as they make themselves out to be. Their mentality is not "live and let live" it's "do as I say." They mostly like to segment people into groups and pit them against one another. It's not conservatives doing this, it's progressives.

To answer your question, it's because they believe they are superior. Simple really.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:55 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I don’t think left wingers should be lecturing on violence and destruction, I don’t agree with any kind of violence on either side. I do believe in peaceful protests and counter protests with intent of causing violence is wrong. If the proud boys protest turns to violence and riots, they should face charges as should the far leftist should have.
But life is no fun without violence and destruction. How will I and my fellow left wingers ever pass the time if we can't burn down cities? Oh, never mind.

Believe it or not, the vast majority of folks on the left don't care for violent confrontations either. Rioting members of the anti-fa should be locked up right along with violent members of the Proud Boys. As a matter of fact, lock them in the same cell and don't come back for a month. Then send any survivors off to serve their prison terms. Works for me.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:08 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:

Nope. When no "progressive" groups have shown up to start problems and initiate the use of violence, "Proud Boys", and virtually all other "right wing" groups have been peaceful. The closest they come to violence is picking up trash. Quite the contrast with the months of violence, brutality, arson and destruction from the progressives, even when no one shows to "oppose" them. Unless you consider innocent bystanders, the people they stop in traffic and drage from their cars and store owners as "opposition".

And to be clear, I don't support racist hate groups, rather they are BLM or KKK. Both are abhorrent. Now-is there ANY proof that the Proud Boys are racist? Perhaps the black and hispanic members of the group?

Old 09-26-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
But life is no fun without violence and destruction. How will I and my fellow left wingers ever pass the time if we can't burn down cities? Oh, never mind.

Believe it or not, the vast majority of folks on the left don't care for violent confrontations either. Rioting members of the anti-fa should be locked up right along with violent members of the Proud Boys. As a matter of fact, lock them in the same cell and don't come back for a month. Then send any survivors off to serve their prison terms. Works for me.
That’s good, but they should let the mayors and governors who are allowing this to happen because they are afraid of losing votes to put them in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies