Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Obamacare being overturned by the SC?
Yes it should be overturned 94 47.47%
No it should not 69 34.85%
Only parts of it should be overturned keep preexisting condition protections. 35 17.68%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 05:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,740,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
LOL trust me, that's not the direction people are moving, you have nothing to fear.....well, until enough people abandon the blue states to where you run out of other people's money and can't fund all of the entitlements anymore.
Seattle sends $3 billion a year to 33 other counties in the state, many Trump supporting rurals. If we need money, we can tell the Trump supporters to pay for their own infrastructure. They’ll cry of course since many of them are on Obamacare and will lose both because of Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 06:00 PM

13,985 posts, read 5,648,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Well the tax angle is problematic. Tax bills are supposed to originate in the House. Thus, it should have been rejected on that basis alone.
Indeed. And if Pelosi wanted a huge win tomorrow, she gets her Dem caucus to strike the mandate/tax from the law. It's literally one line.

Then, if the GOP wants to "get rid of ObamaCare" they'll need the House, Senate and White House to be GOP, as well as magically possessed of a level of political courage they haven't exhibited since roughly 1880 or so, because they'd need to pass a law abolishing it, or a new healthcare law that explicitly says it supersedes the ObamaCare law.

Which of those impossibilities would any GOP you're familiar with have the courage to pass, even assuming they held all three law making/approving levers of power?

With one line being struck, Pelosi could neuter the GOP on healthcare for a decade at least. She couldn't rub Aladdin's Lamp and get an easier win.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:03 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,895,162 times
I would support those who voted for Obama care be arrested for fraud. It has to be the most misnamed bill in US history and it had the exact opposite result of what it was supposed to do. I am still waiting for that good insurance that costs about as much as my cell phone bill.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It was a lie and a fraud from day one, and LS Juan is 100% correct.

That said, all the people on it now have become dependent on it as structured, and you are 100% correct that it would be disastrous for a party if they actually repealed it wholesale. That's why the GOP blusters up about it now and then, but never really goes near it. It's a new support post for the 3rd Rail now, and as such, it is never going away.
I don’t know who “LS Juan” is, and there was nothing fraudulent about it. In fact, Republicans hated the bill because they knew EXACTLY what was in it. Hell, it was their counterproposal to Hillarycare, so they knew the bill better than anyone. The Republicans perpetrated a fraud because they’re mad that Obama called their bluff by positing an idea based on their own policy and actually implemented it.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:24 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,232,168 times
From what I know he ACA is a constitutional law, but I am not a constitutional expert. I hope that the Supreme Court considers the matter in a non-partisan way and rules based on the Constitution rather than politics. Even if that goes against my personal preferences.

From a personal perspective I hope it is upheld because I have for many years thought it was my best chance to be able to retire early. I lkive in Massachusetts now so I may still be able to based on our state healthcare policy which was the blueprint for the ACA, but I'd still like to see the ACA to stand so that I have more flexibkility about where to live if I am able to pull off early retirement.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:35 PM

6,825 posts, read 14,055,637 times
Republicans can't offer an affordable option with out removing the pre-existing benefit from Obamacare. Because they rule most of the poor states they will suffer the most if Obamacare is ended. No insurance company in a free market system is going to touch a customer with a pre-existing condition unless they charge a hefty sum for it. Republicans are backing themselves in corner on this issue. Trump wants to end it simply because it has Obama name attached to it. He could careless about the longterm cost of ending it.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:53 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,387,234 times
People always have the option to simply put the medical bills on their credit cards. That will be the new Trump plan.

Old 09-27-2020, 05:44 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,777,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It was unconstitutional to force people to buy a private product or pay a government penalty, so Obama’s original program should have been overturned in 2013 (or whenever it was). That said, since there is no longer a mandate, it might now be constitutional. It will be interesting to hear the opinion.
We can thank President Trump for removing that HORRIBLE mandate!

Old 09-27-2020, 07:01 AM

26,764 posts, read 26,880,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
We can thank President Trump for removing that HORRIBLE mandate!
Not in my state, or six others; thanks.

Old 09-27-2020, 07:04 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
I think Ocare being overturned by the court would be a nightmare for Republicans unless they had a replacement that could pass both houses.
And the problem is -- Trump claims he has a plan.....but he refuses to share it with anybody.

As strategy goes -- this is highly unusual.

He's campaigning on having all these plans to fix things after we elect him -- but he can't do it now -- lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies