Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 12:42 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,777,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I would LOVE to see Biden answer exactly in that way. It would show the electorate, in as clear a way as possible, just how unwilling he is to actually face any serious scrutiny. Most people, at least those not blinded by partisanship, know that Trump's tax returns have absolutely NOTHING to do with whatever Biden's coronavirus strategy might be. But go ahead, Joe. Anytime anyone asks you a question, including "what time is it?" tell them that you won't answer until Trump releases his tax returns. It's the political equivalent of pleading the Fifth Amendment every time you're asked something.
Trump pulls this crap and you don't hold his feet to the fire like you are Biden. Go Team Red!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 12:46 AM

119 posts, read 45,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
Yup trump finally released his tax returns today. Oh wait...
why does his financial savvy matter to the quality of your life?

really curious why this is so much more important than being able to walk the streets safely? Or keeping more money in your pocket? I'd love to hear your response.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:09 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,777,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The question was, and still is, what would Biden have done differently?

If you believe Biden would have used the DPA before Trump did, when would he have done so?

Which companies would have been involved?

What would have been produced faster because the act was initiated?

As for "the scientists," which ones were second-guessed and about what?

Did "the scientists" disagree with other scientists and/or change their position at some point?

If "the scientists" can't be second-guessed, what would be the correct course of action when they disagree or one or more reverse their opinion?

Maybe this will help...

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...production-act

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauc...andemic-2020-7

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/coro...es-so-far.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/b...-shortage.html

Government officials and executives at rival ventilator companies said they suspected that Covidien had acquired Newport to prevent it from building a cheaper product that would undermine Covidien’s profits from its existing ventilator business. In 2014, with no ventilators having been delivered to the government, Covidien executives told officials at the biomedical research agency that they wanted to get out of the contract, according to three former federal officials. The executives complained that it was not sufficiently profitable for the company.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/b...-shortage.html

The Obama FTC rubber stamped the merger while Fauci fiddled and Slow Joe took a nap.

Thank God we didn't actually need the extra ventilators!
Trump really didn't use the Defense Production Act (DPA) except meat plants and that was largely done at the bequest of the CEOs of meat companies such as Tyson. Trump flirted with forcing General Motors (GM) to make ventilators with the DPA but relented when they finally did officially commit to it. I think Trump flirted with it with others but GM was the major one Trump threatened with.

Trump looked in late March/early April to go after GM, so anytime in February or March would have made some difference. I think part of the reason scientists including Fauci disagreed on masks and didn't say we needed to wear face coverings in public into April, was due to not enacting the DPA. Lots of American sold goods are made or have parts made in China, let alone other countries in the world. I have long argued with people that American products are outpriced for many Americans and for others underpriced compared to detailed craftsman (like Italian leather boots for instance.)

I cannot comment on specific companies making ventilators. I don't keep up on who produces what since I don't work in the industry. I don't think many do except if you are in the medical field or work for a company that usually produces them as well. So this is an unfair question to ask.

I am sure scientists disagreed on what we should do. Many didn't realize we actually needed masks early on. This is despite it being general practice in Asia. I honestly think part of this was related due to the issue of the DPA not being enacted for mask production since we had supply issue of N95 and even surgical masks. Many companies including Hanes and Port Authority have produced cloth masks in the months following and we also have seen CopperFit and other fitness apparel companies help with producing gaiters too. I feel the DPA asking companies to produce sooner could have helped a little bit. I think as mask orders rolled out, there was still some availability issues for many people that weren't already wearing masks. I know the weekend after the county and city announced them, many people didn't wear masks, about half because they didn't have one.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:18 AM

18,401 posts, read 7,024,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
To use a football analogy, America currently has a 2-8 WL record. And Trump is our QB. I believe it would be a wise strategy to let another QB, Joe Biden, to start. America is dealing with an economic crisis, a pandemic, racial tensions are rising, etc. Let Biden finish off the season. Even if he ends up with an 8-8 record we can say it's still a disgrace and we can groom another QB. We can have an actual authentic republican candidate ready for the next election. This Trump experiment is a complete and utter failure and we must abandon ship. Trump is galvanizing groups like BLM and other liberal movements. These groups are strong because Trump antagonizes them. He doesn't have a scintilla of diplomacy. He's not even a conservative. I don't know how we allowed him to just hijack our party like this. America is in dire situations because of Trump. Stop deceiving yourself and vote Biden. A vote for Biden is just a punt. A stratagem. A chess move. We will eventually get the ball back.

Either the dumbest thing I've ever read or a pathetic attempt at reverse psychology.

Either way.......uh, no.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I think it's one of the most amusing things ever when Trump supporters say such things. Trump is genuinely an extremist, and his supporters worship this man like he is a religious deity.

And you have the audacity to talk about 'radical' in relation to Biden.

Biden is a sock puppet for the far left.

He has no actual policy other than what comes up on his teleprompter.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:48 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,617,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I’m not going to vote for either of the major candidates, but I definitely agree with the bolded re Trump.
And your vote will be utterly wasted.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
There's no argument for voting for a dementia patient who would be a puppet of the far left. You don't vote for worse simply because the other guy sucks when it comes to a few areas.
The other guy "sucks" in every area he has turned his attention to.

He has KILLED people, not literally. But his bungling of the Conavirus pandemic has resulted in tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths of your fellow Americans. That fact ALONE regardless of all his other scandals and instances of corruption is reason to get rid of Trump. At this point, anyone, the six-year-old next door, the busdriver --- could be a better President than Trump, he has been that horrific. The man can't govern. On the other hand there is nothing to indicate the Biden will be a "puppet" of the left. His policies are plainly spelled out. He has a 47 year record that proves he is a middle-of-the road centre progressive politician. You don't know if he would be worse but it would be very very hard to be worse than Trump, he has failed at everything, and brought the country down to a dark and abyssmal place, pitied and/or despised by the rest of the world.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Evidently, many Republicans and fellow-travelers are enthused precisely because Trump isn't a mainstream conservative or Republican. He is a nationalist-populist, and perusing the collection of posts that we have here on this very Forum, quite a few adherents crave precisely these attributes, and not those of free-trade, fiscal prudence, or George Kennan-style of international engagement.
Yet none of his actions or policies have been populist. He talks the talk, but he doesn't walk it. You're drinking the koolaid. This country cannot survive another 4 years of Trump. He destroys everything he touches.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
You’re not a conservative if you vote Democrat. You are a Democrat if you vote Democrat.

I despised Mitt Romney and left the Republican Party in 2012 just like you are doing now. But I refused to vote for Obama. If you hate Trump so much that you need to leave the party, my suggestion to you would be to vote third party.

The thinking that if we just get rid of Trump and get back to “Republican Classic” we can win again is so completely flawed. I am the exact type of person that you need back in order for Republican Classic to win in 2024, and I’m flat out telling you that if they trot out a candidate in 2024 with the same platform that Romney had, I will definitely not come back. Republican Classic is dead, get over it.

"Republican Classic" became Democrat Lite.

And just light Lite beer, it had no flavor, no substance, nothing that made people who tried it say anything but "Meh".

Americans hate "Meh".

And that's why Trump won the nomination against a group of largely vanilla Republicans.

Ted Cruz and Rand Paul were the only other candidates even worth considering.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Trump doesn't dance around the topic like most politicians do. Trump is straight forward with what he thinks and does. Trump also keeps his word . Most politicians never do what they say. They fool everyone with a bunch of empty promises. Trump is the exception and the regular liars hate him for being so honest. That is why the left always calls Trump a liar. It is all fake news. Trump does what he says and works for all Americans.
This is a man who lies publicly several times a day. He is a compulsive liar. He hasn't done one thing that he said he would do except follow Mitch's orders on nominating lots of judges. Even the big tax break was a lie, it did not benefit the poor or middle-class but the wealthy corporations and individuals.

Here's a good one for you. What HAS he kept his word on. He's had four years. Name a few projects: infrastructure? health care (he's been working on the same healthcare plan that he'll reveal "in two weeks" for 4 years), a safer country (praising a seventeen year old white nationalist murderer), the country is reeling out of control, people are literally dying unnecessarily from Covid--- and this is Trump's America. The Democrats have sent about 330 bills and they sit on evil Mitch's desk, so you can't blame this. on Biden or the Dems. This experiment in democracy cannot take 4 more years of Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies