Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 08:46 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
States that have the highest percentages of people with college degrees are invariably blue.

republicans rely on the "poorly educated" for their political survival.

Sad...
That is particularly true for the many rural counties where Republicans quite overwhelmingly rule. The people still there are accustomed to making do with less mainly from not being highly educated and have learned to enjoy their lives living that way and don't want to do anything different. However, many of the young people growing up there don't see themselves ever being happy living like that and move to the big city. It's a good thing for people still living there that some well educated people, such as lawyers, doctors and bankers don't mind much living there, but they're on there way out as they retire and the population slowly fades away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 10:03 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
I wouldn’t make the argument that they live in areas that aren’t racially diverse, but many live in areas that aren’t socioeconomically diverse. The lack of socioeconomic diversity creates a bubble for me. I live in an area that can be seen as a socioeconomic bubble. I live in the DC suburbs, but my specific neighborhood is working class, but there is a ton of socioeconomic segregation here. I think that’s in most places, but it is definitely more pronounced in larger metropolitan areas.

I think a lot of white liberals live in areas that are extremely exclusive to people who aren’t in the higher income strata. The more liberal areas with loads of political signs and BLM signs are also the whiter neighborhoods that are usually 80+ % white. In my minority-majority neighborhood, you hardly see any of these signs that support political causes or candidates. A lot of this has to do with the difference in educational attainment and income though, but that’s not always the case.

You do kind of negate your point when you say this.

Their around immigrants all the time and live among them, sure their rich immigrants but people are pretending they don’t see all the terrible stuff immigrants are doing to their neighborhoods when white folks in Milpitas live in neighborhoods where 87% of people can trace their genes 3-4 generations or less back to a foreign country.

These are wealthy, educated immigrants that you’re talking about. They are literally part of the elite from their prospective countries. It is not the same as living in a neighborhood that has a larger amount of lower skilled immigrants with overcrowded houses, trust me I live in one of those neighborhoods. They largely don’t see the downside to mass immigration. I still generally believe that immigration is a major boost to our country, but I can recognize the downsides because I see it every day.
This is pretty chaotic post/response below,

Like I said I agree that they live in a bubble, I just was solely talking about the argument that they see no racial diversity.
I meant that as a rhetorical thing. The other conservatives I argue with say basically large groups of immigrants are terrible, these liberals live in neighborhoods with large groups of immigrants hence Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, San Jose and Milpitas must be terrible places.

Also, maybe in the D.C area whiter areas are more Liberal but that isn't true for 90% of the country. In Houston the whitest places have the most conservatives, that's primarily Montgomery County and the Memorial Villages, the equally wealthy but more diverse suburbs like Sugar Land, Katy and other places have lots of White Republicans but definitely more white liberals than the Memorial Villages or Montgomery county. The exception is Austin, which is roughly 52% White, and extremely liberal, Dallas MSA is 48% White and 50-50 but leaning Liberal, Houston is 36% white (metro), and 50-50 leaning Liberal. San Antonio is 34% white and it extremely liberal but not as much as Austin. But when you look at Austin in isolation the wealthiest parts are actually Red, the Lake Travis suburbs are not liberal strongholds whatsoever, although the diverse suburbs like Williamson County are pretty Red as well, their are very wealthy liberal and white neighborhoods within Austin, but it's not like their aren't diverse liberal neighborhoods too and it's not like Conservatives live in more diverse places than the liberals.

The "wealthy" liberals live in areas that are pretty white but nowhere as white as the wealthy "Republicans", and they often live in the same neighborhoods. Like in the Bay Area, everyone is wealthy but the wealthiest areas are 50-50 liberal conservative, while the upper-middle class areas are very liberal and very diverse, the poor areas are also very liberal and diverse.

Like my county went for Clinton and it's the wealthiest county in Texas, and actually the most diverse county in Texas, and while their are poor areas it's mostly upper middle class to middle class, and only the rural areas and the extreme edges that border some city neighborhoods could be described as poor/lower middle class.

Here are the demographics:
Fort Bend County-
31.9% White, 24.9% Hispanic, 21.3% Black, 20.9% Asian and its (50-50 but is probably going blue).
My neighborhood is
45.0% White, 21.7% Hispanic, 21.0% Asian, 10% Black and (leans Republican).

Also on the elite of their country. I disagree wholeheartedly. While my dad and many other immigrants had the opportunity to go to college which makes them elite in their own right, my dad when he arrived in America couldn't immediately get a job in the oil industry, and so for nearly a decade, was a Prison Guard and a Peanut Boy at Minute Maid park before he could actually use his degree for what it's meant for. Many immigrants in these neighborhoods have very similar come-ups. Calling them elite is a stretch of the word imho. He also lived in the "hood", and many of those immigrants started in the hood. It's why even though the Nigerian and Vietnamese communities are both solidly middle class their cultural center as in Alief which is a poor-lower middle-middle class part of Houston (Westwood area is the poorest part, North Alief is the middle class part and the rest of it is lower middle class except the apartments which are generally poor).

My point is I'm a liberal, I know tons of white liberals and they generally know people form all backgrounds, even though many do live in a bubble its not the majority of them.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 09-28-2020 at 10:29 PM..

Old 09-28-2020, 10:27 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You're not going to tell me there aren't stark demographic differences in the DC area. I think you know better than that.
Their is in D.C. but I said the wealthy suburbs. MontCo, Howard (Which is more Baltimore), Prince William, Charles, Fairfax (to a lesser extent), Prince George's County (to a lesser extent) and Loudoun to a lesser extent are diverse. Theirs's way more Black people in the suburbs of D.C than their are in the city. Prince George's County alone has a massive black middle class population, it is segregated a bit, but the nicest parts of Prince George's county are heavily white, like Bowie. Not to mention Arlington and Alexandria are also very diverse.
Now their a different diversity from California, Whites till make up around 50% in most of these counties, but 50% White, 50% the other three ranges is diverse in my book.
D.C is stark but the majority of liberal's live in the liberal suburbs, not a single one of the big suburban counties went for Trump. Non of the one's I mentioned went to Trump, in fact Trump got destroyed in them.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:49 PM

8,146 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Its not "if". They DO generate 85% of US economic output.

Your question is irrelevant and uninformed. Why would California contribute to the national HC expenses while also fully funding their own? Why pay twice?
I think you have a much better chance arguing with a brick wall or a chair than that poster, lol.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:44 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Not to mention some of the wealthiest cities on the planet. San Francisco metro area is #1 in Per Capita income among metro areas of over 1 million total population. Yes, higher even than New York and Washington, DC.

San Francisco, Seattle, Austin, Raleigh-Durham, Boston. (all have well-established reputations for liberalism)

Washington DC, Denver, Orlando, Dallas-Ft Worth, and Houston also do well. (First three are liberal, and even the last two I'd be hard pressed to call conservative these days).
More one-variable analysis of complex situations.

All while screeching about education and stupidity.

Great post! Really, close the 2020 irony competition....we have a winner.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:41 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Liberal metro areas generate 85% of US economic output, and that funds subsidies for the red State farmers etc, AND the money Trump hands to everyone as if it was his own. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

No, they are Republican heartland, which are guaranteed to vote GOP.

How is the irony of this statement lost on you?

If society ever collapsed, the heartland rural parts of the country would survive while everyone in the city would die quickly.

You would quickly learn who needs whom MORE at a base level.

"Hand that feeds you," indeed!

Old 09-29-2020, 12:53 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
More one-variable analysis of complex situations.

All while screeching about education and stupidity.

Great post! Really, close the 2020 irony competition....we have a winner.
I hope you meant to say "two-variable analysis".

If it's not high tech, then it's wealth. Conservatives (and I hate to say it, even some liberals) tend to equate self-made money with intelligence - and do so in the spirit that betrays "money-making ability is the most important thing there is". By that very standard, liberal cities are not nearly as stupid the MAGA crowd and right-wing pundits claim them to be (if not actually more intelligent than conservative areas).

If anybody insists that liberal cities are stupider than conservative ones despite their higher per-capita incomes, then you're admitting that you don't think money-making ability is the end-all be-all of intelligence.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:40 AM

4,904 posts, read 2,056,126 times
I don’t and never thought liberals to be stupid... They just believe in and do stupid “sheet” like defunding the police. And afterwards, wonder why there is a serious spike in crime AND why the cops are no longer being proactive in stop crime... Cuz their budgets has been cut, so no to limited overtime and more important, cops quitting the job or moving to more law and order cities.

In most every liberal city listed earlier, good luck in find quality people to join the police force... So, I’m turn, police departments will have to start lowering the very high qualifications to attract a lower quality candidates to fill the ranks.

With that being said, some very smart people made some very stupid decisions solely based on emotions and very little facts.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:56 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Nice opinions, dude, but that's all they are...your opinions. You're so danged biased that even your opinions are pretty worthless......

Try again...
Phil75230 need not try again. His viewpoints did such a good job of nailing it, you had no intelligent way to refute his points.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:05 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
How is the irony of this statement lost on you?

If society ever collapsed, the heartland rural parts of the country would survive while everyone in the city would die quickly.

You would quickly learn who needs whom MORE at a base level.

"Hand that feeds you," indeed!
If society ever collapsed..........

Well, I guess then the farmers would have to find someone else to pay their subsidies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I don’t and never thought liberals to be stupid... They just believe in and do stupid “sheet” like defunding the police. And afterwards, wonder why there is a serious spike in crime AND why the cops are no longer being proactive in stop crime...
Crime is up across the board, including Republican mecca's like Ft Worth, and it has nothing to do with any defunding, which never took place in vast majority of places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies