Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2020, 08:23 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Predictably, the 'outrage' was from some SJW taking a picture of the sign and spreading it online.

That's the M.O. for SJW's these days, actively look for something to get outraged about and post it on social media to be the next viral 'hero.'

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...cve-story.html

Quote:
A New Jersey knife shop owner is facing a social media firestorm over a sign he posted on his window charging customers more if they don’t speak English.

The hand-written sign has since been removed, and the shop’s owner replaced it with an apology note.

Dave Feinberg grew frustrated after a customer came into the Cutter’s Edge, his knife and blade sharpening shop in Clifton, but only spoke Spanish.

“I had an impossible time understanding (him), and the communication between this guy and myself was virtually none, and I tried,” the 71-year-old told the Daily News. “And he made no attempt to communicate with me in a language I understood.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 09:02 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
The shop owner was wrong to post that sign and demand an extra $10 for dealing with the apparent non-English speaker. What I would have done instead is to post a sign that read "no habla Espanol" if there was no one that worked at the shop that spoke Spanish. No one that doesn't speak English should expect to have someone working at a business that speaks their native tongue.

Old 09-27-2020, 09:03 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
This guy is the sort of guy who will open an egg salad sandwich on a crowded plane and wonder why people are irritated.

A little tone-deaf.

Old 09-27-2020, 09:10 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
a business charging extra to customers who don't speak english (discrimination against spanish speaking customers) is an outrage, but uber eats not charging for their services to black owned businesses (discrimination against non-black owned businesses) was applauded by the left.

social justice warriors are bipolar with their social justice rules. no single standard applies.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/05/uber-e...d-restaurants/

Old 09-27-2020, 09:17 AM

18,452 posts, read 8,282,661 times
It's his business....

...if he wants to only hire Ethiopian drag queens that smoke.....it's his business

and ever single person has the right to not give him any money if they don't want to

Old 09-27-2020, 09:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I think the guy is an a-hole for charging extra to someone that hasn't learned English yet, but it is his shop and if he doesn't want a non-English speaker, that is his right as a private company. Kind of an idiot though.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:18 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
The man who runs the shop had exactly one frustrating experience with a customer who couldn't speak English, so he decides to share this experience with everyone else in the general public by putting out a sign to inform anyone who passes by that Spanish speakers are not welcome. How stupid is that - especially when the shop owner himself admits that his sign was not really about speaking English. From the story in the Daily News:

“I guess the frustration factor got to me, but it had nothing to do with speaking English or Spanish or any other language,” he said. “It was about when we’re here, we are able to understand each other.”

Chasing off potential customers is a foolish way to run a business. The shop owner has no one but himself to blame for the public's negative response.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:28 AM

11,790 posts, read 5,798,330 times
The guy is 71 - while I would have not charged extra - I would have put up a no habla Espanol sign. For those that have never been in the situation - it was extremely difficult registering let alone treating students at the university clinic that didn't speak English.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:34 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Who cares. Ever been to south philly? Resturants ask for english only and have signs all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies