Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 10:10 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times

Advertisements

I'm very suspicious of Amy Coney Barret. About the only thing she has going for her that relieves my mind is that few Democrats Senators voted for her during the confirmation for appellate judge. That's usually a very good and reliable sign, as when democrats oppose someone strongly they must be good. Another thing that makes me suspicious is everyone from her legal circle even liberals like and recommended her. A real conservative would be hated by liberals and even many supposedly other conservatives.

I just don't see how a woman, Catholic (I have nothing against Catholics and consider that positive mostly but concern many are too partial to illegal aliens) and one who adopted foreign children and not American could be sufficiently conservative and originalist enough or anything like a Scalia., Thomas etc. We were sold a bill of goods with Gorsuch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 10:10 AM

5,144 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Yes, just look at that family of hers — she’s obviously a “white colonizer” and closet racist:

Old 09-28-2020, 10:11 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
The bill of rights and the first amendment is what is protected. the general welfare can not take away the first amendment or the second or any of the amendments. The general welfare is such vague a term.
Provide for general welfare = "The concern of the government for the health, peace, morality, and safety of its citizens. Providing for the welfare of the general public is a basic goal of government."

Just because you find it vague, doesn't mean its unconstitutional.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:13 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Lapping up an opinion piece from a severely biased source is not exactly "thinking on your own".

The fact is that Barrett did say that it was not illegal to limit the exemption to religious services. The case was only about religious service, but the same argument would naturally apply to any service.

I do not for one second think this is going to be a problem with her and conservative lawmakers.
I don't either. The case is cut and dry. Can the governor make an exception to an executive order/reg and not violate the the entire executive order/reg? Yes, and here's why.

And Barrett isn't the entire 7th Circuit. She is one of 11 justices. Again, a far leap to put that absurd "she is for lockdown tyranny!!!" when THE COURT made that decision, with her as one of the 11 adjudicators.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:21 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'm very suspicious of Amy Coney Barret. About the only thing she has going for her that relieves my mind is that few Democrats Senators voted for her during he confirmation for appellate judge. That's usually a very good and reliable sign, as when democrats oppose someone strongly they must be good. Another thing that makes me suspicious is everyone from her legal circle even liberals like and recommended her. A real conservative would be hated by liberals and even many supposedly other conservatives.

I just don't see how a woman, Catholic and one who adopted foreign children and not American could be sufficiently conservative and originalist enough or anything like a Scalia. We were sold a bill of goods with Gorsuch.
Gorsuch is the court's resident individualist libertarian who reads the Constitution in the same spirit it was written - a document that puts restrictions on government and favors the States and the People. He and Clarence Thomas are the best justices on that court, if slapping down Congress and protecting your individual liberty matters to you at all.

Barrett is not Scalia. She's Scalia + Gorsuch. I wanted her in 2017, and I am happy about her now.

Qualified immunity for cops and government officials who violate the rights of the citizen is BAD. That's Gorsuch and that is Barrett.

Felons who have served their entire sentence should retain their 2nd Amendment rights. That's Thomas/Scalia, and that's Barrett.

The court should apply rational basis before just taking cases to be judicial activists? Thomas/Scalia/Gorsuch, and that's Barrett.

She is Gorsuch on individual liberty, and she is Thomas/Scalia on WHAT DOES THE LAW SAY?

As such, she's perfect to tamp down that court's nonsense, and she's also a needed cog in the machine this is supposed to be a check on both Legislative and Executive power.

Scalia did not always side with conservative dogma, neither has Thomas, neither has Gorsuch. They side with the law, individual and state liberty, and actual words as written, not as we would like to read them. Same goes for Barrett. If she makes you nervous, it's because there are some petty tyrannies being pulled off by your side of the aisle, and you can't trust her to look the other way and allow those tyrannies to persist.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:22 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,538,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Provide for general welfare = "The concern of the government for the health, peace, morality, and safety of its citizens. Providing for the welfare of the general public is a basic goal of government."

Just because you find it vague, doesn't mean its unconstitutional.
let's look at health. yes, the government can look out of the people's health as long as it does not restrict freedom of movement and speech for instance. as long as it does not infringe on the bill of rights.

what about contact tracing they need to know where you are at all times. that could be considered a general welfare issue but it also could be considered a violation of the 4th amendment the right to privacy.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:23 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Trump should have got rid of all his cabinet when he first took office.
Agree here.

Welcome to Planet earth. Trump is lucky to get anything like he's done in D.C.

Quote:
I don't find trump very conservative at all but he is a better choice then Biden.
Than.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:26 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times
Quote:

Says who?

Old 09-28-2020, 10:26 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Yes, just look at that family of hers — she’s obviously a “white colonizer” and closet racist:
My concern is she may be a "non-white colonizer" and passive anti-white racist down with open borders and globalism.

My understanding of religious people, she is probably color blind and we're all one under Christ, but that is naive for the purposes of national policies and not what Christ teaches in my view anyway.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:27 AM

20,098 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Amy Barrett is a lock for the USSC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies