Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 04:02 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,693,312 times

Advertisements

The MOST annoying thing are losers criminals who don't listen to commands, don't stop their car, try to jump from a moving car, try to crash into a police cruiser, bolt from their car once stopped, forget to mention the weapons in the car, reach for something like a dumb idiot, while inside the car and getting on their cell phone and calling mama, when told to stay off the phone

Then they cry about how they were mistreated. A vast majority of loser criminals DID something to cause the police to react, like say for example: their boyfriend shooting at the cops and they moan that the cops are not being charged.... when it is the LOSER perps who STARTED the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 04:13 PM

46,842 posts, read 25,791,373 times
a
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think they need to do more stringent testing before they hire, for one thing. There are a lot of people who were either bullies or bullied as kids and have an axe to grind. Some are racist. Many were former soldiers and I'm not sure they're the best candidates. In fact, I don't think they are.
The skills can be useful, the reaction patterns are not. Sadly, it's easier to train skills than to re-route reflexes.

Quote:
More protective equipment. Better training.
Better training, certainly. Not sure there's a lack of protective equipment. Never understood the confrontational approach often seen. I forgot the name of the old caliph who said "Never use your sword when your scourge will do. And never use your scourge, if words are sufficient." It's good advice if you want to stay in power - of a situation or a caliphate.

Quote:
There's an abuse of power that doesn't necessarily result in death in all instances. People don't address that when they talk about 'comply or die'.
That, too. A lower-impact instance of the same problem.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:26 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,081,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
The MOST annoying thing are losers criminals who don't listen to commands, don't stop their car, try to jump from a moving car, try to crash into a police cruiser, bolt from their car once stopped, forget to mention the weapons in the car, reach for something like a dumb idiot, while inside the car and getting on their cell phone and calling mama, when told to stay off the phone

Then they cry about how they were mistreated. A vast majority of loser criminals DID something to cause the police to react, like say for example: their boyfriend shooting at the cops and they moan that the cops are not being charged.... when it is the LOSER perps who STARTED the whole thing.
Do you season the boot first?

Old 09-29-2020, 04:39 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,390,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
We have heard over and over again about how black fathers have to give their sons “the talk “. What to do if pulled over. Keep your hands on the steering wheel, just say yes sir or no sir, etc. White fathers don’t need to have this talk with their sons. There’s something wrong about that.
Not exactly. I'm white and my father still gave me that talk. Basically said to cooperate and don't be disobedient. Even if I'm in the right, I can always fight it later with a lawyer present.

Last edited by NewYorker11356; 09-29-2020 at 04:49 PM..

Old 09-29-2020, 06:32 PM

3,008 posts, read 2,258,434 times
Just because someone does not comply does not give the police the right to use deadly force on them unless they are in a life threatening situation there are plenty of other ways to subdue a person. I used to watch the show Cops all the time and not once did I see the police have to shoot the suspect when they tried to resist or flee.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:39 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,372,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Do you season the boot first?

And then they wonder why they get called nazis.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:49 AM

23,559 posts, read 13,773,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Just because someone does not comply does not give the police the right to use deadly force on them unless they are in a life threatening situation there are plenty of other ways to subdue a person. I used to watch the show Cops all the time and not once did I see the police have to shoot the suspect when they tried to resist or flee.

Please explain, tell us these plenty of other ways to subdue a person.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:51 AM

36,076 posts, read 30,588,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
This is good advice overall and I'm not advocating anyone do anything else - I'm certainly living it myself.

It's the implication in this thread - that failing to do so may cost you your life, and that we should just accept that state of affairs - that I find completely unacceptable.

Police is quite often dealing with people with really bad decision-making skills having one of the worst days of their lives. It's predictable. Part of the job. It needs to be taken into account. It needs to be trained for.
In some cases, yes it could cost you your life. Just like being a victim of robbery, rape, or assault can cost you your life if you resist. I do agree that things have gotten out of hand and there is need for better training, vetting, guidelines, etc. but IMO it doesn't all fall on police.
I think people forget the police are not social workers or therapists, their job is to uphold the laws and make arrests. As citizens expect to have a civil encounter with police and not fear brutality or fatality police also should be afforded the expectation of not being attacked (verbally or physically) or killed doing their job. As many officers are killed doing their job as are killed by police. And we see most of those killed by police are all or either criminals/committing a crime/resisting arrest. Just because officers know there are inherant dangers doesn't mean they accept being killed by someone having a bad day. they have the right to protect their life.
There needs to be mutual respect and just as more/different training for officers can only be a good thing I see nothing wrong with parents (black or white, this stuff happens to white people too) having that talk with their kids about respect and how to behave in a police encounter situation.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:15 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,473,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
In some cases, yes it could cost you your life. Just like being a victim of robbery, rape, or assault can cost you your life if you resist. I do agree that things have gotten out of hand and there is need for better training, vetting, guidelines, etc. but IMO it doesn't all fall on police.
I think people forget the police are not social workers or therapists, their job is to uphold the laws and make arrests. As citizens expect to have a civil encounter with police and not fear brutality or fatality police also should be afforded the expectation of not being attacked (verbally or physically) or killed doing their job. As many officers are killed doing their job as are killed by police. And we see most of those killed by police are all or either criminals/committing a crime/resisting arrest. Just because officers know there are inherant dangers doesn't mean they accept being killed by someone having a bad day. they have the right to protect their life.
There needs to be mutual respect and just as more/different training for officers can only be a good thing I see nothing wrong with parents (black or white, this stuff happens to white people too) having that talk with their kids about respect and how to behave in a police encounter situation.
How can we expect police to uphold or enforce drug laws then? LOL

You are right, they are not social workers or therapists...point is, they do not have the appropriate training to deal with these kinds of people!

Old 09-30-2020, 09:52 AM

36,076 posts, read 30,588,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How can we expect police to uphold or enforce drug laws then? LOL

You are right, they are not social workers or therapists...point is, they do not have the appropriate training to deal with these kinds of people!
Police enforce drug laws by arresting those who break drug laws. They don't have to psychoanalyze them or counsel them. Have a problem with drug laws take it to the legislators. The system need to help addicts, really help them, not criminalize them.

What kind of people do the police not have appropriate training to deal with, criminals, citizens, drug dealers, addicts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies