Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 07:37 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,114,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The "lockdowns" ended months ago in vast majority of the country, so its a bit of a moot question, but how about you? How many lives are you willing to sacrifice?
Lockdowns have not ended. Instead, they have been lessened. Many businesses - like nightclubs - are still locked down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 07:53 AM

78,286 posts, read 60,492,074 times
This is a really tough situation and I have no answer.

It's somewhat like the speed limit, we could lower the national speed limit to 30mph and make cars unable to exceed that speed and save a lot of lives each year but it would be unpopular and frankly a major hardship for many americans.

With Covid, we have the obvious disease spread and resultant deaths and on the other hand we have people that will lose everything, end up homeless etc. and also the reality that until there is a vaccine, COVID is here to stay as even if we got rid of every case in the country it could flare back up in months as it cycles back into the country putting us right back where we were.

All of this further muddied by partisan politics.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:57 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,192,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
For the lefties of the board:

How many Covid deaths are you willing to risk by ending the lockdowns, and reopening the economy?

If the answer is "zero", then you have set an impossible standard. To know that there is zero risk requires omniscience that extends infinitely out into the future. Human beings do not have omniscience, and thus, by your standard, you will never support reopening the economy. Are you willing to admit this?

If the answer is something higher than zero, then you agree with me. You are willing to risk Covid deaths by reopening the economy. How many deaths would you consider to be acceptable losses? What would the survival rate have to be?
Its time to fully open. Those who are compromised, those who are elderly need to stay home, when going out where masks, gloves ( because new variation of covid ..hand washing doesn’t work) self distance. The country needs to get back to work. And I have severe asthma so I stay home, self distance, be as careful as I can.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:03 AM

24,596 posts, read 9,427,094 times
How many bankruptcies, evictions, and mental illness cases are liberals willing to risk by staying closed?

99% survival rate virus versus starving to death, gee I think I know which one is more important.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:20 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,839,970 times
Quote:
4dognight

"Imagine, a virus that is so deadly, you have to be tested to find out if you have it.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
....made me laugh

good one....
I don't know who to give the credit to, but this quote sums it all up in a nutshell.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:31 AM

1,066 posts, read 628,639 times
As many as it takes
Either immunize or die

Old 09-29-2020, 08:34 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,915,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I would ask - where are these old age homes overseas ?
Italy’s highest death rates were the elderly

Old 09-29-2020, 08:38 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,915,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Only that never happened and yet the lock downs continued.

Even in NYC, Cuomo never used the hospital ship Trump sent to relive the area hospitals.

Meanwhile, people have been delayed for months from actually going to the Doctor for diagnosis and hospitals for surgery for other problems and illnesses that haven't stopped happening just because of Covid.
I don’t understand why he chose to put the covid patients in nursing homes instead of the hospital ships, it doesn’t make sense.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:46 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,782,975 times
Why does it have to be either or? We can open up with certain guidelines. Wear a mask! It's that simple. Don't hang out in crowds. It's that simple. Stop acting like entitled rectums with this my freedom crap. Roll up your sleeves and get to work. It's easy. Yet there are those that sabotage the recovery and root for the virus with their defiance? Why? This should never be a political issue. It's a biological issue. Treat it as such and we would have been like Taiwan vs this nightmare.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:53 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,393,865 times
We are opened up with certain guidelines. I'd be open to opening up quite a bit more if the anti-science people would stop whining and throwing toddler tantrums about wearing a little piece of cloth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies