Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2020, 08:58 AM

1,301 posts, read 662,098 times

Advertisements

Obesity and degenerates with tattoos and piercings all over their body, it has become an epidemic in modern society, and America seems to be the worst in this regard.
Most of those people have extremely low self-esteem & maybe self-hatred, which is why they abuse their bodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 09:04 AM

6,848 posts, read 2,607,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Grown men in shorts, sneakers and giant tee-shirts. It's somewhat apparent that we just don't take as much pride in our appearance these last few decades. There was a time you'd see all men in three piece suits and straw boater hats or fedoras even at baseball games and on the boardwalks at the beach.

I like the comfort of dressing down, but it does make me think...what happened?

Here, NYC in 1911.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/new...an-1911-a.html
People used to care what other people thought of them and their reputations.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:22 AM

19,413 posts, read 12,063,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Obese tattooed savages. I see them around. Me , I'm a Jean's, t shirt or button down in the Winter, boots and a cowboy hat. Ball cap or booney hat sometimes.

I've had some younger city type flipdicks deride my manner of dress before. Not often but it has happened. Standing there with backwards ball caps or worse turned sideways with boxer shorts pulled up the crack of their a$$ and pants around their knees and making fun of me.

Lol whatever. I'm a 56 yo country type who deals with people in business. Not a 19 yo wannabe banger from urban upper middle class. Pure silliness.

What is it with these suburban White kids who never had it rough trying to look like hood rats? And act like them to? Tossing weird hand signs and doing the "yo yo yo" talk. LMAO.
They don't respect their parents or appreciate their privilege. They don't think they are "cool" or "real" enough so they fake being something else in order to feel authentic. Go figure.

There is a 15 year old movie that portrays this mindset, called Havoc, with Anne Hathaway. Rich white kids playing with fire trying too hard to be hood rats, with disastrous results.

I am surprised suburban kids acting this way don't get regularly beaten for appropriating a culture of poor urban minorities. I think rap music and urban culture sold themselves out.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:27 AM

29,909 posts, read 11,495,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Hey some folks have dope tattoos.
But the obesity needs to be taken care of.

The problem with tattoos is they don't age well because most people do not age well. You see someone in their 60's with wife beater on and cellulite and stretch marked arms, wearing the wife beater to show of their tattoos up and down their arms.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What is "disgusting" is your statement.

There are plenty of skinny people who are---to quote you---"disgusting and lazy".

And a lot of the skinny people are on meth.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Far too simple. My second job is retail appliance sales.

1) Ive had people in expensive suits not get credit.
2) Ive had people who smelled homeless get $10,000 credit lines
3) Ive had human freaks turn out to be the nicest people in the world.
4) Ive had impeccably dressed people freak out making insane demands on top of rude.
5) I watched a well dressed woman make rude demands of a manager for a half hour straight.
True you cannot always judge a book by the cover but I would bet your examples are a rare exception not the rule. I used to do the hiring for my business. Entry level work. I had to background check all that were considered for employment and you could tell who would have previous drug arrests and overall in and out of trouble their whole lives just by their appearance and how the spoke. Once in a while someone would surprise me. But not often.

The cover pretty much tells the story.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:43 AM

62,599 posts, read 28,790,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
And yet that old dude with the tattoos is just a chill down to earth guy who happens to have tattoos.
Maybe so, but I hate tatoos and think they are ugly. Why mutilate your body that way? My first impression of them is they must have an inferiority complex to do that.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:46 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,315,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Grown men in shorts, sneakers and giant tee-shirts. It's somewhat apparent that we just don't take as much pride in our appearance these last few decades. There was a time you'd see all men in three piece suits and straw boater hats or fedoras even at baseball games and on the boardwalks at the beach.

I like the comfort of dressing down, but it does make me think...what happened?

Here, NYC in 1911.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/new...an-1911-a.html
I remember back in the 60's, when we went downtown to shop or to a doctor's appointment, my mother wore a dress, nylon stockings, shoes with heels, and often a hat and gloves. I also always had to wear a dress and nice shoes (which I hated) on such occasions. When not wearing a jacket, shirt and tie, my dad wore nice trousers, a button down shirt and sweater, or a polo shirt.

Women now wear skin tight yoga pants or spandex EVERYWHERE...even to work (and most don't have the figure for it). Yeah, I wear them, too...to the gym ONLY. My supervisor has a saying, "If you wear it to work out, don't wear it to work." If I have to go somewhere right after the gym, I'll take time to change.

What's worse are the girls/women I see out in Wal-Mart in PJ's or Dollar General in PJ's (or even just pajama pants) with flip flops or even bedroom slippers.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:50 AM

62,599 posts, read 28,790,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I remember back in the 60's, when we went downtown to shop or to a doctor's appointment, my mother wore a dress, nylon stockings, shoes with heels, and often a hat and gloves. I also always had to wear a dress and nice shoes (which I hated) on such occasions. When not wearing a jacket, shirt and tie, my dad wore nice trousers, a button down shirt and sweater, or a polo shirt.

Women now wear skin tight yoga pants or spandex EVERYWHERE...even to work (and most don't have the figure for it). Yeah, I wear them, too...to the gym ONLY. My supervisor has a saying, "If you wear it to work out, don't wear it to work." If I have to go somewhere right after the gym, I'll take time to change.

What's worse are the girls/women I see out in Wal-Mart in PJ's or Dollar General in PJ's (or even just pajama pants) with flip flops or even bedroom slippers.
Agreed. People were so much more refined back then. I think today's mode of dress reflects their character and that's not a good thing and is evidenced by the behavior of so many today.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:53 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,436,889 times
Does America have a culture, other than mindless consumerism? That is precisely why we've become who we are today, no shared common vision, and much of this emanates from poor political leadership from our federal government. Both parties are at fault. When a severe recession hits, neither party calls out for help or has a strategic vision.

In 2008 and during Covid-19, there has been little in the way of leadership thru crisis. You're on your own in America, and many people have just quit caring about this country, and oft times, themselves. They are revealed in the aisles of Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies