Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 08:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

As long as he wants to.

Why? Thinking about taking him out or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 08:44 PM

1,066 posts, read 629,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
I'm a republican but I think if he retires, the replacement selection should be given to the democrats, going through the same approval process.

I don't think too much control by either side is a good thing.
Nope
Take it reps. You owe to ourselves to not let democrats get control of anything

Old 09-28-2020, 08:44 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
You don't realize that Biden is winning this election? wow.
I think folks who only watch CNN, MSNBC and NY Times/Washington Post, and those that live in Democrat and the left stronghold cities think Biden is winning.

Biden is not winning anything but a well deserved break in the nursing home, for his ailing bones in November.

You better get ready to drink or smoke heavily election night--you are gonna need it. LOL

Old 09-28-2020, 09:07 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Justice Thomas supposedly wants out and has already made that known. Not immediately but sooner rather than later. He has been serving thanks to the services of a taxidermist for some time already. It isn't like he is stressed or anything. Justice Breyer is elderly but when interviewed on TV this week he seemed much younger and fit than one might expect. Barring some health problem or death, I would think that these Justices will be around for a while.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:30 PM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
With the passing of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer is now the oldest person on the Supreme Court.

Can we expect him to last through another four years of Donald J. Trump presidency?

The next oldest Justice, Clarence Thomas (appointed by George H.W. Bush), is 10 years younger.

Comment?

https://www.thegreenpapers.com/Hx/SupremeCourt.html
I would like to think any of them can stay as long as they are physically and mentally healthy. Remember not all of them will purposely wait until a potus from the party (that originally nominated them) is in office. As much as one might love their work and the intellectual stimulation it provides, there are other things they might want to accomplish and enjoy in their golden years.

Ginsburg of course was not typical. Her own narcissism allowed her to remain on during the Obama years, even with multiple health problems. She felt no one could rule like she did, and if she wanted to leave with a liberal in office, she obviously waited too late.

Don't forget, the average lifespan of an American is about 78, but a much younger person could develop something terminal and go much quicker.
So just because a young person is nominated, it does not mean they will be there for 30+ years. The average time of service on the scotus is just about 15 years.

In any event, if re-elected Trump might be able to fill another vacancy, and the same would be true of Biden.
You never know.

`

Old 09-28-2020, 09:35 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,629 times
not much longer hopefully hes likely a pervert like bill

Old 09-28-2020, 10:05 PM

334 posts, read 170,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
I'm a republican but I think if he retires, the replacement selection should be given to the democrats, going through the same approval process.

I don't think too much control by either side is a good thing.
Well, the President, elected by the people, nominate Supreme Court justices...the u.s. senate, elected by the people, vote yay or nay, after committee scrutiny of said nominee, to seat a nominee.

It’s not a process to be given at-will, it’s a process decided and controlled by the people.

Too much control by either side is decided by people.

It’s like this RBG dying wish thing going around, as if the U.S. Constitution can be “trumped” by the wishes of a now deceased SC Justice.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:18 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
With the passing of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer is now the oldest person on the Supreme Court.

Can we expect him to last through another four years of Donald J. Trump presidency?

The next oldest Justice, Clarence Thomas (appointed by George H.W. Bush), is 10 years younger.

Comment?

https://www.thegreenpapers.com/Hx/SupremeCourt.html
By the 2022 election, he will be gone.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:34 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
I think that if he passes on Nov 2, there is still time to nominate and appoint a super conservative justice. Perhaps a religious zealot. There aren’t enough of them in DC...

As an aside, Trump finds TV personalities like “judge” Jeanine Pirro or Judge Judy excellent candidates for the Supreme Court.

Last edited by oberon_1; 09-28-2020 at 10:53 PM..

Old 09-28-2020, 11:03 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Justice Thomas supposedly wants out and has already made that known.
Link? Reference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies