Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 05:58 AM

58,994 posts, read 27,275,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
It will be terrible for the cable networks.

Most people post-Trump's election were complaining that they could have stayed home (no protests) if Hillary had just won.

Biden wants to take a bunch of experts and run the country away from public eye just like Obama.

And Americans will excitedly ignore everything to do with politics and just heap meaningless praise on his 'decency'.

I can't decide if this is a good or bad thing.
" When Biden wins", are you trying to get a job as a comedian?

"Biden wants to take a bunch of experts and run the country", like obama who took college teachers who never really worked in the field. All "theory" and NO real practical experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I hope so.

That's one reason I'm voting Biden.

I want to NOT pay attention to ANY political news source for an extended period of time, and not worry that some new bombshell about the incompetence of our POTUS is going to rock the country.

Demanding a basic level of competence from this POTUS seems to require never-ending vigilance and that should not be the case.
"I want to NOT pay attention to ANY political news source for an extended period of time, and not worry that some new bombshell about the incompetence of our POTUS is going to rock the country."

So your "casual" ATTENTION qualifies you to be an expert and we should listen to YOU!

And what has biden accomplished in all his years as a politician?

What has he "run"? Obam said he was going to "focus like a laser" on jobs. When was NOT successful, he gave the job to biden and repeated, "he will focus like a laser on jobs", and was miserable failure.

Post the laws that biden authored. Were they a success or failure?

Old 09-30-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I am so sick of politics that words fail me. Once this country is rid of Trump, I won't get anywhere near as involved as I have been. Oh, happy day!
Once this country is rid of dem control of ANY Congressional house, I won't get anywhere near as involved as I have been. Oh, happy day!

Old 09-30-2020, 06:19 AM

24,468 posts, read 17,207,356 times
Trumps greatest legacy may be that he was able to get people excited about and paying attention to politics. There will no doubt be record turn outs for this election from both sides which is the way it should be.

The thing is Trump is good for ratings and the Left has taken to bashing him to appease their mob. I think there will be papers, magazines and cable networks going out of business if Biden wins.

The Democrats want us to become complacent with their media assuring us that all is well while they work their backdoor deals to enrich themselves by selling out the country.

We have to keep paying attention to politics no matter who is in office.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:57 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,175 times
Quote:
You must still be young and idealistic.

Local politics will continue to impact people in all sorts of ways and that old saying that you can't fight city hall is not always true. Just as an example, many federally funded programs are left for local governments to administer. That often means that mayors and city councils can make all sorts of changes if only they are prodded hard enough and long enough by even just one determined citizen. I know because in the past, I have been that determined citizen.

I don't pretend to know much about Wall Street or financial markets or fractional banking. My background is in the sciences and I studied biology and climatology in college. Global warming is here to stay. Plus we are losing species of both plants and animals at an alarming rate. Scientists tell us that we are in the middle of the 6th great extinction and they are correct. Making matters even worse, all over the world we are losing valuable cropland to droughts, flooding and fires. Much of the agricultural land we are losing may not be productive again for hundreds of years - maybe more.

In the face of this man made existential crisis which is now upon us, Wall Street as it is now organized becomes irrelevant. The climate crisis is one of the most important reasons for getting rid of Trump. If we wait to do anything to start tackling the problem, that much more damage and that much more suffering we be hardwired into our undeniably gloomy future.

You can rescue our financial system and I'll do what I can to save Colorado's mountains and forests. Hows that?
Read the first line of my post again.

If local politics is all that concerns you then you shouldn't care if Biden or Trump wins.

You say you studied biology (I don't know what that has to do with climate science) but it doesn't make you an expert on global warming.

If you believe that national politics is just an excuse to tackle the one issue and nothing else matters then you would be surprised to know how much of the technological shift has ben handled by the private industry. The whole point of cap and trade is to get investors on board with lowering emissions.

And since 1990 that has more or less been seen as a market opportunity for lithium ion and natural gas. The most serious form of energy replacement for fossil fuels is nuclear/thorium power plants, but private investors don't want to pull the money together and revamp the 1950s model that exist today.

The whole reason the automobile industry switched to leaded gasoline over fermented ethanol was because Dow Chemicals, GM, Standard Oil, and all the rest did not want consumers to be able to create their own fuel.

Its not about profits, its about dependency. If the market place in the only way consumers can survive, then the entire social behavior of a country is controlled by the government and the private industry.

If you care about fires and flooding, then it comes down to forest management and water management.

Extreme flooding comes from the build up of sediment walls which protects from minor floods but builds up water pressure after long periods of rain and runoff until something like Katrina happens.

The forest or mountain preservation handled on a local level you seem to care so much about could be greatly improved by a lack of visitation, but then the parks wouldn't have the funds to increase their management.

You can't hate Trump for funding the national park system as its going to need subsidies in the long term. I work in Yosemite and the biggest problem wasn't global warming, it was litter and trash and dead trees being left all over the forest floor.

Since you're a biologist then you should know how important biodiversity is for forest management, as well as animal diversity. Biodiversity helps control erosion, while animals control the consumption of forest over growth. Elks can eat the plant life and keep them from entangling with one another, and predators keep the elk population in line.

There was an easy solution, and that was to manually set off forest fires to clear overgrowth from time to time. The natives did it as well as the settlers, but by the 19th century too many settlements extended out into the forest depths and citizens didn't feel safe setting off wild fires.

It stopped and now you have the issue you have today. Helping promote Tesla is not going to fix that problem, and as long as people like you are disengaged with national politics, that is what people like Biden are going to assume is correct policy.

Your apathy towards the direction America has been headed for the last forty years are your desire to return to decency just means a desire to return to total obliviousness that lets good men like Biden, Clinton, or Obama do terrible things.

And why shouldn't they? Civil engagement is what upheld Roman society, but falling into the trap of thinking DC being given free reigns to decide our future will better anyone is delusional.

Saying global warming is bad and trusting Biden and his experts to handle it is the same logic by which people entrusted Obama to fix the financial crisis.

There are plenty of touch points, but its a very simple thing to understand that increasing costs of public goods and decreasing costs of consumer goods does two things.

1. It makes buyers economically handicapped to the point they can't engage in local politics (like you).

2. It destroys smaller competitors and local businesses that are a product of the community.

Its not a wonder why someone who purports to care about 'Scranton' would spend his career supporting off-shoring. Its not because he's evil, its because the unions and people that matter in DC where the only ones knocking at his door, and they all supported the same policies.

If you're sick of political squabbles turn off cable news and stopping listening to people that tell you we have a fascist in the white house and that everything is doom and gloom unless we elect Biden.

Whichever one of the wins will win, but they have won if they convinced you to stop caring about politics. Not one of these cable news hosts are threatened by Trump or fear for 'democracy'. Not a one.

But they would love to exhaust your engagement so people like yourself go back to the passive stance of letting DC handle matters in a 'professional' way. That is how Obama was able to destroy homebuyers and protect AIG executives (and I'm not just talking about TARP). It wasn't because he was a bad man, it was because people were not political engaged, wall street was.

The worst lie in politics is that we all want the same thing, we just have different ways of going about it. But their are plenty of people across the country who want to reverse the trend of complete globalization, they just don't have any sway in DC.

Turning politics back into a well oiled machine that the public is not a part of just means more terrible policies that will continue to quash local political power as has been happening for the past forty years.

Old 09-30-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:

If local politics is all that concerns you then you shouldn't care if Biden or Trump wins.

You say you studied biology (I don't know what that has to do with climate science) but it doesn't make you an expert on global warming.

If you believe that national politics is just an excuse to tackle the one issue and nothing else matters then you would be surprised to know how much of the technological shift has ben handled by the private industry. The whole point of cap and trade is to get investors on board with lowering emissions.

And since 1990 that has more or less been seen as a market opportunity for lithium ion and natural gas. The most serious form of energy replacement for fossil fuels is nuclear/thorium power plants, but private investors don't want to pull the money together and revamp the 1950s model that exist today.

The whole reason the automobile industry switched to leaded gasoline over fermented ethanol was because Dow Chemicals, GM, Standard Oil, and all the rest did not want consumers to be able to create their own fuel.

Its not about profits, its about dependency. If the market place in the only way consumers can survive, then the entire social behavior of a country is controlled by the government and the private industry.

If you care about fires and flooding, then it comes down to forest management and water management.

Extreme flooding comes from the build up of sediment walls which protects from minor floods but builds up water pressure after long periods of rain and runoff until something like Katrina happens.

The forest or mountain preservation handled on a local level you seem to care so much about could be greatly improved by a lack of visitation, but then the parks wouldn't have the funds to increase their management.

You can't hate Trump for funding the national park system as its going to need subsidies in the long term. I work in Yosemite and the biggest problem wasn't global warming, it was litter and trash and dead trees being left all over the forest floor.

Since you're a biologist then you should know how important biodiversity is for forest management, as well as animal diversity. Biodiversity helps control erosion, while animals control the consumption of forest over growth. Elks can eat the plant life and keep them from entangling with one another, and predators keep the elk population in line.

There was an easy solution, and that was to manually set off forest fires to clear overgrowth from time to time. The natives did it as well as the settlers, but by the 19th century too many settlements extended out into the forest depths and citizens didn't feel safe setting off wild fires.

It stopped and now you have the issue you have today. Helping promote Tesla is not going to fix that problem, and as long as people like you are disengaged with national politics, that is what people like Biden are going to assume is correct policy.

Your apathy towards the direction America has been headed for the last forty years are your desire to return to decency just means a desire to return to total obliviousness that lets good men like Biden, Clinton, or Obama do terrible things.

And why shouldn't they? Civil engagement is what upheld Roman society, but falling into the trap of thinking DC being given free reigns to decide our future will better anyone is delusional.

Saying global warming is bad and trusting Biden and his experts to handle it is the same logic by which people entrusted Obama to fix the financial crisis.

There are plenty of touch points, but its a very simple thing to understand that increasing costs of public goods and decreasing costs of consumer goods does two things.

1. It makes buyers economically handicapped to the point they can't engage in local politics (like you).

2. It destroys smaller competitors and local businesses that are a product of the community.

Its not a wonder why someone who purports to care about 'Scranton' would spend his career supporting off-shoring. Its not because he's evil, its because the unions and people that matter in DC where the only ones knocking at his door, and they all supported the same policies.

If you're sick of political squabbles turn off cable news and stopping listening to people that tell you we have a fascist in the white house and that everything is doom and gloom unless we elect Biden.

Whichever one of the wins will win, but they have won if they convinced you to stop caring about politics. Not one of these cable news hosts are threatened by Trump or fear for 'democracy'. Not a one.

But they would love to exhaust your engagement so people like yourself go back to the passive stance of letting DC handle matters in a 'professional' way. That is how Obama was able to destroy homebuyers and protect AIG executives (and I'm not just talking about TARP). It wasn't because he was a bad man, it was because people were not political engaged, wall street was.

The worst lie in politics is that we all want the same thing, we just have different ways of going about it. But their are plenty of people across the country who want to reverse the trend of complete globalization, they just don't have any sway in DC.

Turning politics back into a well oiled machine that the public is not a part of just means more terrible policies that will continue to quash local political power as has been happening for the past forty years.
I always wonder what the radical left is going to do with all the old batteries from electric cars. They certainly are not good for the environment.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:48 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,932,822 times
Quote:

I never stated that my only concern is local politics. I'm concerned about all sorts of things, and climate change concerns me most. If Trump get's a second term, the damage he will inflict on the environment will be dire.

Quote:
FWIW - BA Biology, MS Climatology, but agree that I am far from being an expert. However, it does mean that I understand the science. Bioclimatology has been a valid field of study since at least the seventies.

Quote:
Good resource management is certainly important, but you can't manage away an over all temperature increase of 2 degrees C and climbing. Forests which are adapted to a lower temperature regime are dying off in the Rocky Mountains from Canada to Mexico.

Quote:

How long ago did you work in Yosemite?

I won't argue that it would be better if we had fewer people flocking to our National Parks. Perhaps we could ameliorate the problem by designating more public lands as Parkland instead of just shutting people out. The National Forests (a National Forest is a whole different critter) have set aside large chunks of forested land which are called wilderness areas. Designated wilderness areas get far fewer visitors because no wheeled vehicle and no ATV's are allowed. A forest visitor in a wilderness area must go in on foot and pack in all their own food and gear. Not many Americans are fit enough to do this.

Trump is doing his very best to sell out our public lands to privately held corporations in the oil and gas industry. The government has always funded the National Parks and National Forests. Trump is doing his very best to defund them and claims that the expense of their upkeep should be covered by higher user fees.

If Trump is so upset that places like Yosemite have "litter and trash and dead trees being left all over the forest floor," then he needs to actually do something about it himself. The vast majority of public lands and forests are under federal - not state - control.

The National Park Service (NPS) has been without an official Park Service Director for going on three years. A string of acting directors who have no idea what they are doing have come and gone thanks to Trump's indifference. As usual, Trump accepts no responsibility for the state of our National Parks. Instead, he tries to shift the blame to people like Scott Newsom the current democratic governor of California. A state governor has no say on how the FEDERAL government manages our public lands.

If Trump wants the floors of our forest swept all tidy and clean, he needs to appoint directors of the Forest Service and the NPS who will go along with this crazy idea and Trump also needs to persuade Congress to appropriate the billions of dollars it would cost to sweep clean every last acre of public land.

The rest of your reply is completely uninformed and I'm not going to waste more of my time in responding to it. I suggest you stick with the things you actually understand like finance and forego spreading inaccurate information about floods, trees, and elk.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:50 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,294 times
no its only going to get way worse. there is an ideological civil war going on in this country right now and it aint going to end with hugs and kisses.

Old 09-30-2020, 01:08 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,175 times
Quote:

The rest of your reply is completely uninformed and I'm not going to waste more of my time in responding to it. I suggest you stick with the things you actually understand like finance and forego spreading inaccurate information about floods, trees, and elk.
From what I read you should care what Biden does, and yet you've become apathetic.

As for the rest of my post which parts?

Most of it wasn't even about park management. The ethanol vs. Leaded gas was a corporate decision and has nothing to do with scientific studies (I learned about it when I took classes in environmental studies which is not part of STEM).

Forest fires were used to manage overgrowth by both the natives and the settlers. Why would you claim otherwise?

And I had one sentence on elk that was a segway so I don't see how I could get so much wrong when I barely set anything.

The final third of the post had nothing to do with any of that.

Old 09-30-2020, 01:12 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,950 times
If Biden were to somehow create enough votes to win out of thin air, we will not be able to ignore politics. I would expect Republicans to immediately begin an investigation for possible impeachment avenues. They will treat him like the Democrats treated trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies