Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 07:52 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times

Advertisements

OK, the problems are continuing.

Disney - big layoffs on the way - 28,000 jobs

Shell - 9,000 jobs being cut

Airlines - potential of 40,000 jobs being cut (A new round of loans just happened, but it might not prevent the job reductions)

Still think economic lockdowns & panic are a good idea? We need to get the economy moving and get people spending money, otherwise 2021 doesn't look good. Of course, the feds can always step in again, and maybe they will, but how much longer can this continue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 08:01 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
OK, the problems are continuing.

Disney - big layoffs on the way - 28,000 jobs

Shell - 9,000 jobs being cut

Airlines - potential of 40,000 jobs being cut (A new round of loans just happened, but it might not prevent the job reductions)

Still think economic lockdowns & panic are a good idea? We need to get the economy moving and get people spending money, otherwise 2021 doesn't look good. Of course, the feds can always step in again, and maybe they will, but how much longer can this continue?
It can continue a lot longer than we can imagine

Old 09-30-2020, 08:11 AM

5,477 posts, read 6,302,778 times
I don't think anyone should be surprised by job cuts from these three companies, given that there's simply no visitors to theme parks, no one is flying, and oil demand is low and supply remains fairly high. These sectors are in weak parts of the economy right now, and will likely remain weak for some time.

For what it's worth, the sector I'm in (industrial distribution) is busy as hell. We support mainly manufacturing and infrastructure like utilities, waste water, etc, and we're crazy busy. My company is still not hiring, but we got through with only minor furloughs, and sales are ramping back up fast.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:29 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
At this point a lot of this pain isn't because of lockdowns, it's from people choosing not to engage in certain activities. The government isn't prohibiting me from driving to Disney World and enjoying the parks or going to the airport and flying across the country. I just don't want to. Same with restaurant dining and lots of other things that I choose not to do, not because I'm not allowed.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I don't think anyone should be surprised by job cuts from these three companies, given that there's simply no visitors to theme parks, no one is flying, and oil demand is low and supply remains fairly high. These sectors are in weak parts of the economy right now, and will likely remain weak for some time.

For what it's worth, the sector I'm in (industrial distribution) is busy as hell. We support mainly manufacturing and infrastructure like utilities, waste water, etc, and we're crazy busy. My company is still not hiring, but we got through with only minor furloughs, and sales are ramping back up fast.
Same for the company I worked for ..being in industrial electrical supply distribution has them very busy

Old 09-30-2020, 08:41 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,086,041 times
Fork in the road time — more stimulus/bailouts, or let the chips fall. The MMT fans will say it’s time to inject more funds into these critical service industries, while free market economists will say they need to be part of creative destruction that replaces their failed business models with something new.

For the laid-off workers it just sucks.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:45 AM

There are loads of job cuts coming .

As I pointed out in a few threads , we are going to see the job number improve before falling off a cliff.

Large employers have been manipulating the numbers to get around the 60 day warning that needs to be given when workers go from furloughed to terminated after 6 months of furlough

Just enough Workers are being brought back compared to terminations so another 60 Days warning does not have to be given.

Once those furloughed are terminated they will follow up terminating those brought back

Old 09-30-2020, 08:56 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Fork in the road time — more stimulus/bailouts, or let the chips fall.
Or, end the lock downs.

If x% of the population is forced to stop working, and x% less is produced, x% less will be consumed. No amount of printing money can change that. The Fed can stop the monetary system from grinding to a halt and causing even bigger problems, but they can't stop peoples' standard of living from going down, only ending lock downs and getting back to work can do that.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:09 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,086,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Or, end the lock downs.

If x% of the population is forced to stop working, and x% less is produced, x% less will be consumed. No amount of printing money can change that. The Fed can stop the monetary system from grinding to a halt and causing even bigger problems, but they can't stop peoples' standard of living from going down, only ending lock downs and getting back to work can do that.
GDP fell by 31% last quarter. A look at the numbers shows why:
Personal Consumption: -24.01%
Fixed Investment: -5.27%
Private Inventories: -3.50%
Net Exports: 0.62%
Government consumption: 0.77%.

People (aka consumers) aren’t spending money. Why? Because they either don’t have any money or they are afraid to spend it and would rather keep it in reserve. This is hugely deflationary and IMO ending the “lockdowns” will only make a small difference in the average person’s attitude about the future.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
GDP fell by 31% last quarter. A look at the numbers shows why:
Personal Consumption: -24.01%
Fixed Investment: -5.27%
Private Inventories: -3.50%
Net Exports: 0.62%
Government consumption: 0.77%.

People (aka consumers) aren’t spending money. Why? Because they either don’t have any money or they are afraid to spend it and would rather keep it in reserve. This is hugely deflationary and IMO ending the “lockdowns” will only make a small difference in the average person’s attitude about the future.
Actually many were spending more than they should have because they were furloughed and had paid benefits and jobs to go back to .

But by law furloughs end at the six month date ...now reality will hit that there is no job to go back to and paid benefits stop like healthcare ,so spending is going to take another hit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies