Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 09:10 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times

Advertisements

This will be a good test of Trump's character. Does he care enough about the Americans in the coastal Louisiana area devastated by Laura to postpone the last night of the convention so he can tour the devastation and offer comfort to the battered inhabitants of the area? OR are his interests in putting on a showstopping performance in an attempt at winning the presidency of greater concern to him? My vote is on the latter. Trump has no idea how beneficial it would be to his battered image to a display a modicum of empathy to the people down in that area by going down to take a look at the area hit by Laura and personally offering them Federal aid. My money is on him not even mentioning the hurricane or the damage tonight. Don't want to throw cold water on such a stellar conclusion to a 3-ring circus, do we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iajBo7NK0Zw

Last edited by thrillobyte; 08-27-2020 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 09:13 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,221,847 times
Meh, even if he went down there, we all know he'd be faking the empathy. Throwing paper towels at the victims, or telling them that it's the wettest storm from the standpoint of water just doesn't cut it.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:13 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Why would Trump need to go tonight?? Is it not normal for the POTUS to wait a few days to visit/tour devastated areas, due to safety and security issues diverting crucial rescue and aid efforts?

Apart from that, I hope everyone made it out safely and will be able to rebuild.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:14 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Imagine if he would just throw supplies from the back of a truck how much praise he would recieve.... oh wait, you guys destroyed him for that last time

Old 08-27-2020, 09:29 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
The majority of the time, the left waits for Trump to do anything ... and then criticizes that! The only forward-looking view by the left (lest they actually be held accountable for having their own ideas), ... is to build a fake strawman and then criticize Trump in advance for not meeting it. (ie; ..."if Trump doesn't do this exact thing, it 'PROVES' he only cares about votes and not about people in hurricanes) .... (because as everyone on the left already 'knows,' Trump is an evil demon.")

By the same logic, the entire election process should be cancelled/postponed, until a COVID-19 vaccine is readily available and working. "... after all, how can Trump be so callously indifferent to people who are already worrying about COVID-19?"

Old 08-27-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Meh, even if he went down there, we all know he'd be faking the empathy. Throwing paper towels at the victims, or telling them that it's the wettest storm from the standpoint of water just doesn't cut it.

Yeah, we know it'd all be fake. The guy hasn't got a scintilla of sympathy for the folk down there who lost everything. Being any place outside of gilded ballrooms is anathema to him. But he could at least try to put on a good show of caring. Just making the effort at pretending to care would be more than we should expect of him I suppose, but it'd still do wonders for swing voters.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The majority of the time, the left waits for Trump to do anything ... and then criticizes that! The only forward-looking view by the left (lest they actually be held accountable for having their own ideas), ... is to build a fake strawman and then criticize Trump in advance for not meeting it. (ie; ..."if Trump doesn't do this exact thing, it 'PROVES' he only cares about votes and not about people in hurricanes) .... (because as everyone on the left already 'knows,' Trump is an evil demon.")

By the same logic, the entire election process should be cancelled/postponed, until a COVID-19 vaccine is readily available and working. "... after all, how can Trump be so callously indifferent to people who are already worrying about COVID-19?"

Do you actually think he'll go down there at all? I'll vote for him if he does that much, I swear to God.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:38 AM

380 posts, read 164,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Why would Trump need to go tonight?? Is it not normal for the POTUS to wait a few days to visit/tour devastated areas, due to safety and security issues diverting crucial rescue and aid efforts?

Apart from that, I hope everyone made it out safely and will be able to rebuild.
This^^^^ The storm is still going on in some parts of Louisiana. Major thoroughfare I-10 is closed for the most part. Electricity is out in many areas and roads are blocked by fallen trees and down power lines. No one needs to be on the road right now. Wait until these obstacles are resolved before making a visit.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:40 AM

1,154 posts, read 367,114 times
I don’t think it would be appropriate for him to go today; however, if the convention is to go on tonight, a genuine expression of empathy would be well-placed.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:41 AM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times
I don't see any reason he should skip the speech and go down there immediately. As has been said, let the storm get further north and east and then head down to Louisiana.

But I hope the heck he doesn't forget to bring the Play-Doh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies