Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 12:21 PM

3,510 posts, read 6,482,732 times

Advertisements

Seattle had protests in the early 1990s about globalization. Why did this take place mostly there?

Before then, the most radical American places were San Francisco and Berkeley CA. Also NYC, LA.

Maybe it's because of the environmental movement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 12:23 PM

20,957 posts, read 5,530,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Seattle had protests in the early 1990s about globalization. Why did this take place mostly there?

Before then, the most radical American places were San Francisco and Berkeley CA. Also NYC, LA.

Wish I knew. Can't say I care. Glad I moved out.

Burn baby burn.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:26 PM
bu2

23,970 posts, read 14,760,934 times
Quote:

It was all the people fleeing California. They contaminated Seattle. Portland has always been a little flaky.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:30 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,806,587 times
I use to live there, it was a very segregated and very liberal place to live ... The education swung very far left but the parents were also pretty liberal as well... The companies there promoted liberal agenda in public but in private had a very different idea of what their part was.... The essentially ran the government... When I lived there I always found it odd that Democrats said the Republicans represented Big Business... That was an obvious lie but nobody cares anyways.. it was a catchy propaganda phrase they wanted to believe in... So you got what you got..

Old 10-01-2020, 12:30 PM

3,510 posts, read 6,482,732 times
I live in Cali and people are going to leave in droves. They've been moving to Idaho and Montana. In fact some native people in those states have been complaining.

Newsom's announcement about gas cars might inspire people to leave. Also defunding the police, crime, homelessness, fires, high taxes.

Regarding my original question - Seattle back in 1992 was radicalized because Californians moved there?

PS I've never seen Portlandia.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:34 PM

17,203 posts, read 12,099,241 times
Wildly successful capitalism and mild climates making them such desirable places to live that people are priced out of generational homes and things like income inequality, non-living wages, gentrification, etc gain traction.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:36 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,415,671 times
Wait until Boeing leaves, then you'll watch Seattle become a real dump.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:39 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,415,671 times
Quote:
I live in Cali and people are going to leave in droves. They've been moving to Idaho and Montana. In fact some native people in those states have been complaining.

Newsom's announcement about gas cars might inspire people to leave. Also defunding the police, crime, homelessness, fires, high taxes.

Regarding my original question - Seattle back in 1992 was radicalized because Californians moved there?

PS I've never seen Portlandia.
I lived in Seattle in the early 90s; Californians were held in very low esteem. I mean anti-Californian billboards and commercials.

Old 10-01-2020, 12:42 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,384,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
I lived in Seattle in the early 90s; Californians were held in very low esteem. I mean anti-Californian billboards and commercials.
Yes, same, lived there in the 90's, Californians were not exactly welcomed, all for the reason of "we do not want this place to turn into California".

Old 10-01-2020, 12:45 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,820,693 times
Bay Area, Eugene, Portland and Seattle are one continuum of a liberal arc that stretches all the way to Vancouver BC. Books have been written about how these areas started going liberal since the 70s (mostly hippies and drugs during the post Vietnam era), then more so during the environmentalist movements of the 80s, followed by crushing economic events of the early 90's and finally a tech driven boom after that shaping their culture. Migration from the Californian post cold war recession is part of this too. The anarchists on the streets of Portland don't at all reflect the dominant culture there but they are an offshoot of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies