Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 03:26 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times

Advertisements

The most important issue to me is my opposition to child tax credits. They are extremely unfair to the childless and those with adult children. Don't misunderstand, child tax deductions are fine, it's the tax credits that are outrageous. For this post I don't want to explain all the reasons I hate child tax credits or debate them. I am trying to decide who to vote for and I need your help with your best guess on this subject.

Some important history on this subject In the 2016 GOP primaries candidate Marco Rubio proposed doubling the child tax credit. At this point he became my worst politician in American history. When he dropped out of the race I literally cried tears of joy. I was so happy Trump was the candidate, in part because he never said anything about raising the child tax credit.

Soon after Trump was elected he passed his tax bill. The one everyone called "tax cuts for the rich". I don't mind the rich getting tax cuts, they pay most of the taxes. So I initially supported it. Then at the last second none other than Marco Rubio put in his doubling of the child tax credit. It wasn't Trump's idea but he went along with it. My blood pressure went through the roof and my hatred of Marco Rubio multiplied to the point where he is most hated person in the world today.

Fast forward to today. Joe Biden (and Kamala Harris) both promised to repeal the Trump tax cuts if elected. Normally I vote straight Republican tickets. I disagree with everything the Democrats stand for. However the idea of repealing the Trump tax cuts is exciting as hell to me because that would mean getting rid of the doubled child tax credit. This would be one of my wildest fantasies come true!

Due to tax credits a single parent with one child and an annual income of $41,000 saw a tax cut of $1,304 — a 73% reduction in federal taxes. I want her to go back to paying 73% more.

So here's my question. If Biden overturns the tax cuts will he also get rid of the doubled child tax credit which was part of the bill? Or would Biden keep the doubled child tax credits but vet rid of the rest of the bill.

If Biden would get rid of the doubled child tax credit I would vote for him, the first time I ever voted for a Democrat. OR if he would save the child tax credit but get rid of everything else in the bill I would vote for Trump as.I overall love the man both his persona and policies (other than this).

What is your best guess?

Last edited by Jay F; 10-12-2020 at 03:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 03:32 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,987,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The most important issue to me is my opposition to child tax credits. They are extremely unfair to the childless and those with adult children. Don't misunderstand, child tax deductions are fine, it's the tax credits that are outrageous. For this post I don't want to explain all the reasons I hate child tax credits or debate them. I am trying to decide who to vote for and I need your help with your best guess on this subject.

Some important history on this subject In the 2016 GOP primaries candidate Marco Rubio proposed doubling the child tax credit. At this point he became my worst politician in American history. When he dropped out of the race I literally cried tears of joy. I was so happy Trump was the candidate, in part because he never said anything about raising the child tax credit.

Soon after Trump was elected he passed his tax bill. The one everyone called "tax cuts for the rich". I don't mind the rich getting tax cuts, they pay most of the taxes. So I initially supported it. Then at the last second none other than Marco Rubio put in his doubling of the child tax credit. It wasn't Trump's idea but he went along with it. My blood pressure went through the roof and my hatred of Marco Rubio multiplied to the point where he is most hated person in the world today.

Fast forward to today. Joe Biden (and Kamala Harris) both promised to repeal the Trump tax cuts if elected. Normally I vote straight Republican tickets. I disagree with everything the Democrats stand for. However the idea of repealing the Trump tax cuts is exciting as hell to me because that would mean getting rid of the doubled child tax credit. This would be one of my wildest fantasies come true!

Due to tax credits a single parent with one child and an annual income of $41,000 saw a tax cut of $1,304 — a 73% reduction in federal taxes. I want her to go back to paying 73% more.

So here's my question. If Biden overturns the tax cuts will he also get rid of the doubled child tax credit which was part of the bill? Or would Biden keep the doubled child tax credits but vet rid of the rest of the bill.

If Biden would get rid of the doubled child tax credit I would vote for him, the first time I ever voted for a Democrat. OR if he would save the child tax credit but get rid of everything else in the bill I would vote for Trump as.I overall love the man both his persona and policies (other than this).

What is your best guesa?
Sounds like you've already decided.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:01 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Sounds like you've already decided.
No not at all. I was planning on voting for Trump but this one issue would change my mind. The frustrating thing is this won't be discussed by either candidate. So all I can do is guess what would happen.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:05 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,815,138 times
All tax credits are stupid.

Just lower the tax rate % if you want to lower taxes for people. Don't be selective based on criteria.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:20 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
Agreed, but this probably won't change even with biden in office. You think Democrats want to take away handouts for single moms? What are you smoking? Can I have some?

Trump isn't really as conservative as the left makes him out to be which is why that passed in the first place and why he has no problem inflating the national debt.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:27 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
No not at all. I was planning on voting for Trump but this one issue would change my mind. The frustrating thing is this won't be discussed by either candidate. So all I can do is guess what would happen.
First of all, I don't see a problem with voting a single-issue, e.g., death penalty, abortion, Second Amendment, war.

It's your vote, do as you like with it, but I do find it odd that this is your make or break issue.

As for the tax credit, paying people to have kids they can't afford is the Democrat's stock in trade.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:37 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
First of all, I don't see a problem with voting a single-issue, e.g., death penalty, abortion, Second Amendment, war.

It's your vote, do as you like with it, but I do find it odd that this is your make or break issue.

As for the tax credit, paying people to have kids they can't afford is the Democrat's stock in trade.
You don't think the Government is a bit worried about the falling fertility rates around the world, taking note of Japan with their 1.2 fertility rate and businesses facing 1.2 applicants per job? A falling fertility rate translates to more immigrants. You end up paying, one way or another.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:58 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

The child tax credit was implemented in 1997 under President Bill Clinton; however, it was voted for and approved by both a Republican controlled House and Senate. So I don't think it's right to attributed this kind of thing solely to Democrats.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:26 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
I see no politician today getting rid of a tax credit. It wouldn't be politically popular.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:41 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Biden will not get rid of the child tax credit, that would hurt him with blacks and Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies