Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 04:26 PM

4,250 posts, read 3,169,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They could have said anything, but the fact is that the expectation was to gain more jobs due to the sudden & massive losses. 11 million Americans are still out of jobs and many are falling off the books.

There were massive lay-offs yesterday, which are not even reflected in these numbers.

I believe all the jobs will eventually come back, but it seems it is happening much slower than expected.
Do you think it just might have something to do with New York, California's and a few other states failure to open up? Hmmm. That said, this recovery is coming along far faster than what occurred under the previous administration!

Old 10-04-2020, 04:31 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,294,652 times
Quote:
Recovery is slowing down

Final jobs report before Election Day shows just 661,000 positions were added last month
"Smaller employers are having difficulty holding on and we are now seeing the effect of the big company layoffs,” said one economist.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/eco...tions-n1241779

Over the summer the unemployment rate fell from its lockdown spike of 14.7 percent to 8.4 percent by August, but the pace of gains has drastically slowed, pointing toward a protracted period of fragile recovery that could be further imperiled if infection rates worsen.

It’s a “steady flood of job loss,” said Bill Scribbs, an economist for the AFL-CIO labor union. “The next six months… look pretty bad because what happened in August with people using so much credit is they’re going to be reticent to spend money by Christmas. We won’t have enough jobs back by November.”
Open up the closed states and you would see a dramatic reduction. I bet after November 3rd you will see plenty of openings proving all along this was political!!

Old 10-05-2020, 07:04 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
this recovery is coming along far faster than what occurred under the previous administration!
That should be obvious, since economy was merely put on hold as opposed to what happened with Bush, when the economy was fundamentally damaged, and nearly destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Open up the closed states and you would see a dramatic reduction. I bet after November 3rd you will see plenty of openings proving all along this was political!!
You mean Republican governors conspired to hurt Trump, or that Trump himself did it for political purposes? Or are we talking about a global conspiracy to hurt Trump? Spain is experiencing a massive 2nd wave surge. Is it all political? Did Trump infect himself for political reasons? His wife? Kellyann Conway? Chris Christie? Did 205 000 Americans commit suicide to stick it to Trump? Is everything a ridiculous conspiracy to you?

Old 10-05-2020, 07:16 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,925,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
haha..try again...$15/hour cash
Where do you get that? Democrats would LIKE minimum wage to be $15 per hour. In most states it is $7.50.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:17 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,925,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who's not wearing a mask where it is required in a public building? They won't let you in unless you are wearing one. As for crowds gathering at a beach, etc. don't go to those areas then. They'll only be infecting themselves then. Even if you encounter one of these people in a public building they will still be required to wear a mask there and you will be wearing one also. I don't get all these attacks on people who choose to risk their own lives outside of public buildings in large groups but aren't risking yours.
The Trump family, at the first debate.

Old 10-05-2020, 07:18 AM

13,927 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Government doesn't create anything, including jobs. All it does is legislate/decree, and all those laws and decrees do is cause harm and create destruction.

Government decrees during covid killed 11 million jobs, and the economy of the Invisible Hand has managed to scrape together 660k of what the government took away. Goven the government's continued interference and tyranny, I give the economy credit for getting the 660k back against Leviathan's wishes.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:17 AM

62,859 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
The Trump family, at the first debate.
Ok, that's some but we are talking about most mainstream Americans and they are complying by wearing masks inside public buildings because they have to so what's your point?

Old 10-05-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Where do you get that? Democrats would LIKE minimum wage to be $15 per hour. In most states it is $7.50.
I would also but just as long as there are millions of illegals here willing to work for $7.50 an hour or less it's not going to happen. Why aren't the Democrats doing something about that?

Old 10-05-2020, 08:37 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,521 times
Quote:
Quote:
I thought they were here just to collect welfare benefits They're all working?

I think the Americans who lost their jobs would prefer to have their own jobs back, like airline pilots, as opposed to do landscaping for $5.00 an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
haha..try again...$15/hour cash
I go to the 7-11 to hire day workers for my yard a few times a year. They usually get around $20 an hour where I live and are worth every penny. I usually don't ask about their immigration status but two told me they were here legally. Sad to say I have tried hiring high school kids a few times and never got one who knew how to do hard labor. I know they are out there but I didn't find them.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I go to the 7-11 to hire day workers for my yard a few times a year. They usually get around $20 an hour where I live and are worth every penny. I usually don't ask about their immigration status but two told me they were here legally. Sad to say I have tried hiring high school kids a few times and never got one who knew how to do hard labor. I know they are out there but I didn't find them.
Why would you try to hire high school kids anyway? There are plenty of skilled adult Americans out there that do hard labor. Just because a day laborer tells you they are here legally doesn't make it so. Why are they standing on street corners soliciting work? An American would have no reason to do that. Besides looking to get paid cash and doing the above would indicate that they are illegal workers.

I have a gardener who does a great job and is an adult American. The claims that one can't find any are just excuses to hire cheap, illegal labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.