Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2020, 10:10 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Now Jill Biden is being referred to as the “First Professor”. She doesn’t exactly have a great rating from students taking her.

https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/Sho...sp?tid=1251801

But kudos to her for doing her thing.
Review sites bias towards negative reviews. This is true across the board, not just professors.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You went to college but you don’t know the difference between an arts degree and a sciences degree? Science degrees are far more difficult to achieve.
What in that post made you think they don't know the difference between an arts degree and a science degree? Science is a liberal arts field of study. I think rather than questioning people who went to college, maybe you should consider learning about college as well. You don't have to attend, but just knowing the basics is useful.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:28 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Why is it that PhD is the only academic attainment that gets a title?
You can put your undergraduate designation after your name if you wish. It's rare, but can be done.

John Doe A.B.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
I swear it's ridiculous, every time this woman gets introduced she insists on being introduced as DOCTOR Jill Biden.

I know over 500 physicians, and NONE of them ever insists on being called doctor the way she does.

Yes, I know she has a doctorate in education. Yes I know that PhD and EdD graduates are technically able to call themselves "doctor"

But I swear there's some kind of low self esteem going on with this woman because I've never heard of anybody who is so ridiculous about this doctor title.
There are dozens of doctoral degrees.

It’s very common for those in academia Who have achieved a doctorate to refer to themselves as Dr. also see it in engineering.

Were you troubled when Henry Kissinger made clear his preference to be referred to as Dr. Kissinger?

Old 12-02-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
Not all Professors are Doctors, but darned if you forget to call a Professor by their title....

Heck, on Gilligans Island, that's ALL they called him.
Generally you would need a doctoral degree (or equivalent terminal degree) to become a full time professor. Otherwise you're just an instructor or lecturer.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:40 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
It is appropriate to use a title in a professional context.

One of Jill Biden's professions is First Lady-elect. We may forget that now, but the expectation of most modern First Ladies is that being First Lady is a full-time job.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:51 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My father is a DDS and my mom is a PhD. Both insist on being called Doctor unless you’re a friend or family member.

You earn it, you have a right to demand it. Simple as that.
Their insistence wont reflect reality.

What you demand won’t always be granted, simple as that.

Most PhD holders are in prestigious positions and won’t be upset over superficial formalities. Do you think Ben Carson flies off into a rage if someone doesn’t call him a Doctor?

Old 12-02-2020, 11:05 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yes, we know....and so did Joe Biden who is actually running for office, unlike the wives.

And who did Jill Biden have an affair with?

Jill Biden had an affair with Joe Biden when they first met, and Jill, who was married at the time, was working on Joe's campaign. Jill started bonking Joe while she was still married to another man. So, Jill Biden AND Kamala Harris had sex with married men.

The Doctorate Jill has can be done online...its a joke of a degree.
Not an online degree, already addressed in the thread

And married man Donald Trump schtupped everything in sight including bringing his mistress on a family vacation with his first wife, but funny how that doesn't bother his supporters while they like shaming women

Old 12-02-2020, 11:21 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
MD's are the only people that should have "Dr." in their address in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
Yes I know that PhD and EdD graduates are technically able to call themselves "doctor"
A Doctorate of Philosophy degree is where the address Dr. comes from, and has been used as such since the 1200s.

Doctor referring to physician is a SECONDARY meaning of Doctor. It's a much more recent definition, starting with Shakespeare. In the 1850s, laws were passed to make the use of the title for physicians based on medical license a legal matter. It was put in to stop quacks.

The division has two roots: Miss Manners incorrectly said only physicians should be doctors. The AP Styleguide says refer to physicians only as doctor.

The NYT, WSJ, and Washington Post throw that out and use the English definition, anyone who has a doctorate degree can be doctor (except lawyers!)

Old 12-02-2020, 11:32 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
As long as you have a doctorate you can call yourself a doctor. Case closed. The world doesn't have to apologize for people with such linear train of thought, who think the only doctors that exist are the ones that can write their scrips.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies