Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2020, 02:13 PM

27,512 posts, read 13,731,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
This is nonsense. The next time you publish a paper, try to reference a physicist without Dr.

Sure, in person no one cares. But try it in your next publishing or patent. You'll hear from the professor.
Most world leaders son't use the doctor title.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel for instance has a doctorate in quantum chemistry .

Former Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar is a qualified medical doctor and returned to help patients during the Covid crisis, as did fellow MP's in the UK who are qualified medical doctors.

Coronavirus: Medic MPs return to health service - BBC News

Unelected President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen is a qualified medical doctor and taught at the Department of Epidemiology, Social Medicine and Health System Research at the Hannover Medical School.

Ursula was from an extremely wealthy family, but fled Germany in her youth after being tipped off that the communist Red Army Faction wanted to kidnap her, and she subsequently laid low in London for a number of years.

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-10-2020 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-10-2020, 02:26 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,088,076 times
Because she is impressed with herself.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:23 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,408,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Calling her "doctor" is as ridiculous as calling Diaper Wearing Senile Pedophile Joe Biden "president" or anything remotely close, as he is only good for being hired as a dishwasher at Denny's restaurant.
You sure have some insecurities or some jealousy about successful, educated women! Dr. Jill Biden deserves the title. She has a PhD., something not easily obtained. Maybe you should go back to school.

Old 12-10-2020, 03:50 PM

15,905 posts, read 21,531,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I always addressed my professors in physics and engineering as "doctor". I also addressed my medical staff profs in med school and residency as "doctor".

However, outside of a professional setting, I prefer NOT to be called doctor; most of them preferred to not be called "doctor" as well.

That is the peculiar thing about Jill Biden. She insists on being called "doctor" outside of the professional realm that conferred that degree.

It is simply a reflection of a smug sense of superiority that is demanded by those who lack confidence in themselves. She needs the outside recognition of "superiority" and an understanding that she is better than less "gifted" individuals. A lot of democrats manifest that behavior. When you are confident and comfortable with yourself, you don't need those outside accolades and a reinforcement of your academic accomplishments' you already know what you have done and do not need a reminder from others.

I would argue that her role as First Lady is absolutely within the professional realm that conferred her degree. With the exception of the current First Lady, all modern First Ladies have treated the role professionally with selected areas to throw their influence and expertise behind. Dr. Jill Biden has indicated that she's interested in education, particularly post-secondary training and community college education. It's entirely appropriate for her to use "Dr." in this usage.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Because she is impressed with herself.
So do you have a doctorate?

Old 12-10-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Calling her "doctor" is as ridiculous as calling Diaper Wearing Senile Pedophile Joe Biden "president" or anything remotely close, as he is only good for being hired as a dishwasher at Denny's restaurant.
Wow! Jealous much?

Old 12-10-2020, 04:21 PM

1,227 posts, read 638,685 times
Dr Jill teaches in community college, that would be the 13th and 14th grade. Half of her bright students didn’t know she was the Second Lady. “Hey look, there’s my teacher on TV!”

Old 12-10-2020, 04:33 PM

15,905 posts, read 21,531,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
Dr Jill teaches in community college, that would be the 13th and 14th grade. Half of her bright students didn’t know she was the Second Lady. “Hey look, there’s my teacher on TV!”

Good on her students for attempting to better themselves and increase their education, skills, and professional value.

They could have dropped out of or ended their education with a high school diploma, and then you'd be complaining about how they work at Walmart or McDonalds while relying on government programs in their 40s.

While I find it bizarre that her students didn't know who she was, I was also lucky enough to have a great public high school education, newspapers available to me from a young age, and a family that prioritized education and civic engagement. I find it hard to insult people trying to rectify what their childhoods were lacking, as is apparent in this case.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:53 PM

43,593 posts, read 18,659,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
I swear it's ridiculous, every time this woman gets introduced she insists on being introduced as DOCTOR Jill Biden.

I know over 500 physicians, and NONE of them ever insists on being called doctor the way she does.

Yes, I know she has a doctorate in education. Yes I know that PhD and EdD graduates are technically able to call themselves "doctor"

But I swear there's some kind of low self esteem going on with this woman because I've never heard of anybody who is so ridiculous about this doctor title.
I'd say it boils down to EGO.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:31 PM

17,918 posts, read 13,854,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
You sure have some insecurities or some jealousy about successful, educated women! Dr. Jill Biden deserves the title. She has a PhD., something not easily obtained. Maybe you should go back to school.
She actually has an Ed.D. Education's equivalent to a PhD. Not a big thing but generally a Ph.D is considered a little more prestigious than an Ed.D relative to difficulty in obtaining the degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies