Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 01:29 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
In fairness I don't see how these two Senators contracting COVID could be construed as the Democrats "using" a tragedy. That being said I hope they don't all refuse to show up just to block the quorum, which would be a little childish. They might though.
I'll say that I wrote what I did as at least two Democrat Senators (Schumer and Murphy) called for the hearings to be halted due to members of the body contracting covid.

I'm curious to know what quorum is in the Senate I think it's 51, but could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 01:33 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'll say that I wrote what I did as at least two Democrat Senators (Schumer and Murphy) called for the hearings to be halted due to members of the body contracting covid.

I'm curious to know what quorum is in the Senate I think it's 51, but could be wrong.
Ah - got it. I was not aware. Yes, the quorum is 51 in the Senate. What are the odds McConnell reconsiders his refusal to allow remote voting?

Old 10-03-2020, 01:38 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,563,867 times
Quote:
Good. Don't let Democrats use a tragedy to their advance. We are paying Congress to work and do the people's business.

Isn't it the GOP that it is using a tragedy to their advance with the death of RBG?

Old 10-03-2020, 01:41 PM

1,768 posts, read 568,078 times
Quote:
Good. Don't let Democrats use a tragedy to their advance. We are paying Congress to work and do the people's business.
Mitch won’t even bring dozens of bills passed by the house to the floor, including bills to rescue USPS, secure voting rights and provide additional relief to Americans suffering under COVID but sure, gotta do the people’s business of ramming through a nakedly partisan nominee intended to secure far right wing domination of the courts regardless of the will of the people.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:42 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I say we vote to confirm her Monday morning before anyone else gets sick.
Even if the Senate wasn't adjourning to the 19th, wouldn't have the votes. Already would be down Tills, Lee & Johnson, Lankford is quarantining until October 12th, not to mention Collins & Murkowski.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:59 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Ah - got it. I was not aware. Yes, the quorum is 51 in the Senate. What are the odds McConnell reconsiders his refusal to allow remote voting?
Thanks for that quorum info! I think that, with only two Senators positive for covid, I don't see him trying to change the rules. and I don't think it's necessary as precautions can be made to allow for these Senators to safely cast their votes, even if it means emptying the spaces before those particular Senators show up to vote. Who knows, though? by the time of the committee and final votes, these Senators may very well be over their illnesses. That said, the opposite could happen and more could come down with it, which would make me reevaluate my prediction.

Old 10-03-2020, 02:26 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Thanks for that quorum info! I think that, with only two Senators positive for covid, I don't see him trying to change the rules. and I don't think it's necessary as precautions can be made to allow for these Senators to safely cast their votes, even if it means emptying the spaces before those particular Senators show up to vote. Who knows, though? by the time of the committee and final votes, these Senators may very well be over their illnesses. That said, the opposite could happen and more could come down with it, which would make me reevaluate my prediction.
There are three Senators currently with Covid. Wisconsin Senator Ton Johnson announced he tested positive today. Johnson wasn't at the SCOTUS nomination announcement, but had a GOP luncheon with Tillis and Lee.

Old 10-03-2020, 02:29 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,309,310 times
Would they delay if there's a presidential funeral?

Meadows gave some grim news today. Could go either way

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/03/u...d-updates.html

“The president’s vitals over the last 24 hours were very concerning and the next 48 hours will be critical in terms of his care,” Mr. Meadows told reporters outside Walter Reed Medical Military Center, where the president was flown on Friday evening and will remain for at least a few days. “We’re still not on a clear path to a full recovery.”

Last edited by Variable; 10-03-2020 at 03:08 PM..

Old 10-03-2020, 02:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Not so fast. A majority quorum is needed to open the hearing from what I have read. Two GOP senators on the committee have Covid-19 and many Democrats may choose not to attend for personal safety reasons given the reckless behavior of the GOP, especially with many of its judiciary committee members having recently attended the virus super spreader Coney-Barrett announcement event at the WH.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/u...te-voting.html

Old 10-03-2020, 02:35 PM

1,768 posts, read 568,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Would they delay if there's a presidential funeral?

Meadows gave some grim news today. Could go either way

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/03/u...d-updates.html

“The president’s vitals over the last 24 hours were very concerning and the next 48 hours will be critical in terms of his care,” Mr. Meadows told reporters outside Walter Reed Medical Military Center, where the president was flown on Friday evening and will remain for at least a few days. “We’re still not on a clear path to a full recovery.”
Probably not. Trump has been a very useful idiot to McConnell and the Federalist Society but they would rather have their judges than him in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies