Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 05:24 AM

3,535 posts, read 2,855,128 times

Advertisements

Liberalism destroys everything it touches, sooner or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 02:34 PM

33,994 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I have a friend who lives in NYC. When I asked her what things were like these days, she said it's getting like it was in the 70s. With that, she confirmed what I had thought was happening.

It saddens me that it is reverting to those dark days. The residents can only blame themselves. They elected DeBlasio, then stupidly re-elected him. One can only hope that they wake up and vote out the bum as well as any enabling city council members.

I know that my husband and I won't be vacationing in NYC anytime soon, which is a shame. We always liked seeing a show or two while there as well as trying new restaurants and visiting the museums.
I would advise avoiding NYC if possible long-term. Its unsafe, and there is really nothing fun about it, with so much closed.

Old 10-04-2020, 03:40 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,400 times
NYC compared to a majority of cities in America these days has extremely low homicide rates compared to a majority of big cities.

Queens for example has had 58 homicides and has a similar population to Houston which has had 277 homicides.

NYC has had about 20% more homicides than Houston, but with nearly quadruple of the population.

https://youtu.be/hxfWQTG8iiI[/quote]

NYC has a fraction of the homicide rate of Houston, Texas.

NYC has had a rough year but it seems to be calming down.

NYC has a tremendous amount of resources at it's disposal to reduce social issues and reduce violent crime in the city, Houston does not.

Houston has a tremendously high violent crime rate in comparison. It seems as though Houston though is historically an extemely violent city though and NYC has had an increase from a very low baseline.

Houston 277 homicides
Queens Borough has had 58 homicides
Similar population

https://communitycrimemap.com/

NYC 337 homicides (nearly quadruple of population)

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...en-us-city.pdf

Queens has a similar population to Houston

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...en-us-pbqs.pdf

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...en-us-pbqn.pdf

Old 10-04-2020, 03:47 PM

1,052 posts, read 451,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
NYC compared to a majority of cities in America these days has extremely low homicide rates compared to a majority of big cities.

Queens for example has had 58 homicides and has a similar population to Houston which has had 277 homicides.

NYC has had about 20% more homicides than Houston, but with nearly quadruple of the population.

https://youtu.be/hxfWQTG8iiI
Trends matter more. NYC has seen a more than 100% increase in violent crime this year so far. If it keeps up this way, it'll catch up to Houston in no time. Also, in Houston I can more easily legally own a firearm to defend myself - that's a very big difference.

Old 10-04-2020, 03:54 PM
bu2

24,069 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Was the Rick Moranis (actor, comedian) attack mentioned on citydata? Apparently he was a victim of the knockout game. Walking near W. 70th some young Black guy just came up and punched him for no reason and walked off. It was caught on camera. Haven't heard if they have caught the guy yet.

Old 10-04-2020, 03:59 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,148 times
I was there yesterday to visit someone. It was sad seeing parts of the city, still beautiful, but basically riding on the fumes of the past. Culture is basically cancelled for the foreseeable future. No opera, ballet, Broadway. The whole socialite set is gone...the galas, fundraisers...the philanthropy money that kept things nice. Restaurants are dying. Tourism is gone. White collar workers are tele-commuting. The hospitality industry is gone. And the woke mayor and governor have alienated the police, so crime will only increase. Now DiBlasio is locking down 20 more zip codes to punish struggling businesses for the increase in Covid cases. Why punish businesses??? People are getting punched at random, stabbed to death, raped in the middle of the day...and thanks to bail reform they are right back out on the streets. The city is done. It will be years before it comes back. If the woke crowd fully takes over...it will be never. But they will always have the mural.

Old 10-04-2020, 05:25 PM

33,994 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
If the woke crowd fully takes over...it will be never. .
agreed

Old 10-04-2020, 06:06 PM
bu2

24,069 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I was there yesterday to visit someone. It was sad seeing parts of the city, still beautiful, but basically riding on the fumes of the past. Culture is basically cancelled for the foreseeable future. No opera, ballet, Broadway. The whole socialite set is gone...the galas, fundraisers...the philanthropy money that kept things nice. Restaurants are dying. Tourism is gone. White collar workers are tele-commuting. The hospitality industry is gone. And the woke mayor and governor have alienated the police, so crime will only increase. Now DiBlasio is locking down 20 more zip codes to punish struggling businesses for the increase in Covid cases. Why punish businesses??? People are getting punched at random, stabbed to death, raped in the middle of the day...and thanks to bail reform they are right back out on the streets. The city is done. It will be years before it comes back. If the woke crowd fully takes over...it will be never. But they will always have the mural.
I was there the summer before last and it just stunk. Garbage was piling up everywhere. It wasn't like that the previous times I had been there. And that was before the recent downturn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies