Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 03:29 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I think we're seeing two types of people here. Those who are competent and in tune with market changes and those like the OP who will be left behind.

These same discussions existed with the invention of the cotton gin, the automobile, uber, etc.

The best innovation comes out of difficult times like these.
Yeas we are seeing to types of people here. Those who care about jobs and business and those who are coming with all sorts of excuses as to why all of these businesses going out of business is No big deal, past time, or will only hurt lower income so no big deal. Democrats are exposing themselves as the anti worker people you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 03:40 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Yeas we are seeing to types of people here. Those who care about jobs and business and those who are coming with all sorts of excuses as to why all of these businesses going out of business is No big deal, past time, or will only hurt lower income so no big deal. Democrats are exposing themselves as the anti worker people you are.
A lot of service jobs were/are on the way out anyway. It is a big deal to people who work those jobs and such a change is significant to society in general but it is going to happen. The only one really talking about it was Yang. No one wants to deal with it so it may well be a crisis that will catch up with us sooner than later.

Rather than tossing blame and insults, we should be thinking about how to move forward.

Old 10-04-2020, 03:58 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
A lot of service jobs were/are on the way out anyway. It is a big deal to people who work those jobs and such a change is significant to society in general but it is going to happen. The only one really talking about it was Yang. No one wants to deal with it so it may well be a crisis that will catch up with us sooner than later.

Rather than tossing blame and insults, we should be thinking about how to move forward.
What are you talking about? Service jobs out? That sector is growing. The movie theater business as going thru changes but they were adapting with different formats. In addition, it’s not just the movie theatre owners and employees this effects but all the services and products involved in delivering that experience. The buildings, food, movies, the money the workers and owners would have earned and spent on other things. The ripples likely go far and wide. It’s no doomsday, but a lot of people will be affected. I guess those jobs and spending are not important to you liberals.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:01 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Theaters are open in my area. Very few people however feel the need to go to them at this time and risk their health.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:02 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? Service jobs out? That sector is growing. The movie theater business as going thru changes but they were adapting with different formats. In addition, it’s not just the movie theatre owners and employees this effects but all the services and products involved in delivering that experience. The buildings, food, movies, the money the workers and owners would have earned and spent on other things. The ripples likely go far and wide. It’s no doomsday, but a lot of people will be affected. I guess those jobs and spending are not important to you liberals.
Just a bunch of deplorables holding those jobs. Learn to code.

I don't know if that is actually in the DNC platform, but its implied. Hence, President Trump.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:03 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
They should have bought shares of Netflix! Cheaper popcorn using Orville Redenbacher instead of paying $7.00 for a bucket.
I can go a couple of hours without eating. I like seeing films on the big screen. But it's an annoyance for me and a disaster for the people who work there. Just shows that dems don't care about the little guy unless he's an illegal alien or transsexual.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:47 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
I agree. It's great to see that innovation is driving business growth in the service industry. Restaurant, grocery, and shopping delivery is at an all time high and has created countless jobs for those who once used to provide service in other antiquated industries such as movie theaters.

I see that you don't know much about businesses. Businesses are temporary entities intended to cease operation. When Netflix and RedBox became popular, Blockbuster went out of business. It's the nature of business. The market is shifting and so it the jobs. If you're unable to adapt to modern times, you will be left behind.

Btw, delivery people are in the same bracket as retail workers in terms of income. The new jobs haven't hurt them but have given them choice and opportunity.

I know you liberals are all about protected antiquated jobs with your big unions and regulation, but the reality is that if demand goes down, there's no way a business is going to be able to survive without adapting.

If you don't want to have to shift so often, become a knowledge worker. They're a bit more stable.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:49 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Even if they end lock downs tomorrow a lot of people will not feel comfortable going, so it's still an industry that's going to suffer long-term.
Agreed. Theaters are open here, but the parking lots are sparsely populated. People just aren't going back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
The news article says a "temporary closure". Your post implies permanent.
I guess the OP didn't read his/her own link. Big surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It's more about having a product and a consumer than 'lockdown'.
True - only movies that were post-production and close to being completed are being released. And since there's not a lot of filming going on right now, there likely will be few full feature-length films for awhile.

There's a big opportunity here for indie and short films, which generally have fewer people involved and take less time to complete. I wonder if anyone will be so inspired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
People are too rude to gather together in a place where they are supposed to be quiet or adhere to some kind of rules of civility.

The heyday of the malls and movie theaters is done. People cannot handle being together and behaving, so Covid just gives us what we deserve in that regard.
True dat. The only rudeness I have to deal with at home is from my cat, who likes to sprawl in the middle of the living room floor to take a bath. I'd rather deal with that than with dozens of people talking, looking at their phones, and getting up and down every 15 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Just shows that dems don't care about the little guy unless he's an illegal alien or transsexual.
Oh, so you're privy to the political affiliations of every movie theater owner in the entire world?

Source?

Old 10-04-2020, 04:50 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
You do realize that Trump is not the only liberal that has taken over the republican party, right?
So long as they keep seating actual conservative SCOTUS who cares. Maybe we can get away from the political party ideology.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:54 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
No one likes to see people lose their jobs but with the wide spectrum of jobs being lost this is not one of the major businesses, restaurants, retail, airlines and hospitality are the largest job losses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies