Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 07:45 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genz View Post
They aren't closing because of lockdowns. They're closing because many big movies(James Bond, Wonder Woman) are being delayed and studios just aren't putting out their movies right now. They aren't even making them right now. Why should movies open to play the Goonies or some other old flick? Which is what they are doing right now in order to.stay relevant. The movies are being delayed because they started releasing new movies like Tenet and Unhinged and New Mutants they were hoping to be big hits and sadly were box office failures since nobody wants to go to the movies right now. That is The public's own choice it has nothing to do with lockdowns.
Bingo.

It's really not tough to figure out if you think about it for a second or two. Reps to you, my friend.

People are not going to the movies right now for 2 big reasons - COVID19 and because of the lack of good new material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 07:51 AM

8,758 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Temporary closure.....

Old 10-05-2020, 08:17 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,863 times
Outdoor theaters and streaming directly to a streaming service is the way to go now. I can't see myself going into a theater right now. You may be required to wear a mask to enter, but once those lights go out and the movie starts, the hard headed people are going to take their masks off. You will be sitting in a petri dish of covid germs and droplets. That is not my idea of a good time.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:36 AM

62,950 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This will make me unpopular, but I don't care if this happens. We have the ability to do so much at home, there's no reason that we should be clinging to the past, old ways of doing things. Many of the jobs that people had in these establishments didn't pay jack all to begin with. Retail workers, restaurant workers (depends on what state you live in, though, and how they use tips as part of salary or not - not all states make tips part of salary, some allow you a regular salary and then tips on top - WA state used to be that way, and boy did I make bank because of it....one of the few things WA state got right), attendants, fast food workers - those jobs don't pay very much.

I've worked retail, I've worked fast food, I've worked in restaurants. I worked physically harder at these jobs than any other job (aside from military, which also pays crap for their soldiers), I've had, yet I got paid more to sit at my desk and do a job that was considered "better" because it "required" someone to be "smarter" - and they have been way, WAY easier than any retail, fast food, or restaurant job I've ever had. WAY. easier, and yet I got a whole lot more pay.

Schooling can be done online. We've been able to do college courses for a very long time, now kids can go to school online, as well. Which, I think is a plus, because it means a parent has to be there, and it means that they are going to know exactly what is going on in school, and they are going to be more involved with their kids' education. There's no losing there.

All of this means less cars on the road. Do your work from home, get your education from home (except labs), you can entertain yourself at home, you can get your food delivered, either groceries or lunch or dinner, you can buy what you need online, you can talk to anyone around the world, online.

I mean, at this point, we only need to leave our homes to take out the trash, and in many cases, even in apartments now, you don't have to go that far. Some complexes now give you a trash can that you put right outside your door, and someone comes along and empties it for you. I mean, we don't have to do jack all anymore. We could stay in our pajamas all day long, if we wanted.

Less pollution, less cars on the road, less congestion, less anger, less accidents, we get more of our own time back, parents are more involved with their kids than before, no dumping off the baby to day care to have someone else raise their kids...I am all for all of this.

So, what do those do who "can only work these low level jobs" - they can find jobs where they can work from home. Some of those jobs that "required" someone be "smarter"? Please. A monkey can do the job. Even some of the "smarter" people were too lazy to do their jobs correctly anyway, so just hire someone who will do it correctly, even if it takes them longer. In the end, you'll have the same, or possibly better result.

I refuse to believe that someone who works at McDonald's cannot be trained to take an order over the phone, or use their customer service skills over the phone or in chat. Considering so many people who do chat help can't even spell or use proper grammar as it is, there's room for everyone.

We still need trash guys, we still need gardeners, we still need people of the trades (plumbing, welding, sheet rock, construction, HVAC, etc - so people can be trained through an apprentice program).

The elderly and the disabled (actually disabled, not some idiot scamming the system), should already be taken care of.

Everyone else, I refuse to believe can't get a job somehow without it being retail, fast food, or washing dishes at a restaurant. Even dumb people can do some of these office jobs, but do them at home.

We can tear down these ugly buildings, and bring some nature back into our cities and towns. Nature is much more pleasant to look at, listen to, and deal with than concrete jungles.
Sorry but I don't wish to be confined to the same four walls everyday. As for home schooling, most parents have to leave their home to go to their jobs so how are they supposed to home schools their kids then? Even if they can work out of the home that would be a double duty for them and a burden. I think it's good for kids to interact with other kids. I think it's good for adults to interact with other adults also. What you are proposing sounds like prison to me.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:36 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Bingo.

It's really not tough to figure out if you think about it for a second or two. Reps to you, my friend.

People are not going to the movies right now for 2 big reasons - COVID19 and because of the lack of good new material.
People aren't going to the movies because of mandated shutdown of non-essentials. I can guarantee if they were open people would go. Maybe not as many at first but some would go. I would not go, because I have always been a germ freak and hated movie theatres for that reason, but I can guarantee many people would go. Also, movies are not being made for the same reason (non essential so shutdown due to lockdowns). So yes, the lockdowns have absolutely played a role. I'm not even a big movie theatre guy, but I can see what is hurting them - the lockdowns.

Democrats are just stretching beyond stretching right now trying to justify their draconian lockdowns while at the same time trying to convince the public their lockdowns are not hurting business. You can't make this stuff up. Of course they are hurting businesses!

Old 10-05-2020, 08:38 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
No surprise. There are really no movies being released to theaters right now.

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobby...mended_content

They just updated the site to say they are closing all 550 locations in the US.

What a sad situation. I doubt all will open back up, if they do at all.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:52 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
It seems like a movie theater is one of the worst places to go for spreading Covid. I cannot see why anyone would think it wise to stuff crowds of people next to each other in a windowless room with recirculating air for two hours.

Our own president has the virus as do a group of people around him, and still some people don't seem to get it.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:56 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It seems like a movie theater is one of the worst places to go for spreading Covid. I cannot see why anyone would think it wise to stuff crowds of people next to each other in a windowless room with recirculating air for two hours.

Our own president has the virus as do a group of people around him, and still some people don't seem to get it.
Infectious respiratory diseases have been around as long as theaters, why are they a problem for you now?

Old 10-05-2020, 09:59 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Like others have said, the movie theaters were already a dying industry with streaming/file sharing content and 4k and 8k TVs and sound systems.

I'm fine with a few movie theaters surviving for those who want to go out--but personally I'd prefer if all new movies were given the option to also show their movies through streaming.

Over the past 20 years, I have definitely found myself going to the movies less and less--maybe it's because of age and maybe because I'm far more busier now than when I was in my 20s. I now go to the movies MAYBE 2-3 times a year; I usually catch atleast 1 big Marvel movie...and MAYBE a movie that I've been waiting years for to come out...but everything else? Nope.

In NYC, tickets are now $17 a head, now I'm not cheap, or broke, but it definitely has me thinking THRICE about every movie--especially when I think back to the times when I was paying 3.50 a ticket.

I've said it before and I'll say it again--One major problem with the movies is that every movie costs the same...the big multi 100 million dollar budget movie cost the same as the 10 million dollar Kevin Hart flop. $17 for a movie with a 100m budget is usually worth it....the Kevin Hart cheesy 1.30 minute bad comedy? Not so much.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:08 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
People aren't going to the movies because of mandated shutdown of non-essentials. I can guarantee if they were open people would go. Maybe not as many at first but some would go. I would not go, because I have always been a germ freak and hated movie theatres for that reason, but I can guarantee many people would go. Also, movies are not being made for the same reason (non essential so shutdown due to lockdowns). So yes, the lockdowns have absolutely played a role. I'm not even a big movie theatre guy, but I can see what is hurting them - the lockdowns.

Democrats are just stretching beyond stretching right now trying to justify their draconian lockdowns while at the same time trying to convince the public their lockdowns are not hurting business. You can't make this stuff up. Of course they are hurting businesses!
How many Regal Cinemas are impacted and what percentage of total seats are restricted?

Yes, some would go - I've never claimed otherwise. To assume that the "normal" number would attend provided no government restrictions is beyond naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies