Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 11:54 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Trump = DANGEROUS PSYCHOPATH
What specifically has he done in four years as President that was dangerous and psychopathic? Or are you projecting again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 11:58 AM

1,049 posts, read 653,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I am a man with a delta frequent flyer program, so I shall call myself a Delta male .
I have a feeling Delta may become a bad word in Cancun during the next 36-48 hours. May want to call yourself a Nu Male if you are ever in that area.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:02 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What specifically has he done in four years as President that was dangerous and psychopathic? Or are you projecting again?
I will take this question for $1,000

Lack of COVID-19 response and removing us from the Paris Accord.

If you don't believe in Climate Change I have 10 landfalling tropical systems to sell you.

Old 10-06-2020, 12:07 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
It seems to me that of the people that I speak to, the one's I'd classify as Alpha are pro-Trump by a mile. More willing to speak up, less worried about sickness, more willing to drive conversation and lead people, be results oriented, etc.

The people that are more timid, cautious, more emotional, etc. are pro Biden.

I'm not saying one is better than the other but I'm saying that this phenomena is VERY strong in my circle of about 150 friends, family, and co-workers.

Do you all find the same is true?
In my circle of acquaintances - Trump supporters are very sensitive. They are quick to anger. Any time you point out something that goes against their reality, they immediately get aggressive (Alpha). They are quick to lay blame on others (I guess Alpha?). They can't debate/discuss anything political without falling back on specious-at-best claims.

Biden supporters in my circle are more or less the opposite. They are more data driven. "Did you know that only three miles were added to the border?" And when that is brought into question, they will do their own research as opposed to just blindly accepting what is offered as proof. They are triggered by a few things - the sudden forgetfulness of Republicans (politicians and voters alike) of what happened in 2016 in regards to Scalia's seat. I think they'd be more accepting if Republicans just said "Hey, we know what we did. We totally stole that seat in 2016 and are doing it again in 2020 even though it goes against our own supposed logic in 2016." Just admit what you are doing and go on with it.

In my community, conservatives are more willing to lead if it is complaining about something. Liberals are more willing to lead if it improves something. In my mostly conservative community, the people volunteering to improve the community are mostly liberals. Conservatives tend to feel that they are entitled to complain about things but not be expected to contribute - either effort or money. And they fight tooth and nail to not raise neighborhood fees but also complain that we can't hire lifeguards or maintain the grounds properly.

Our HOA board is mostly conservative and they recently enforced a rule saying we can't have more than 2 political signs on our lawn during election season. I happened to have three. The HOA manager informed me of my ignorance of this rule and I was more than happy to take down the third sign to not go against the rules and also avoid a fine. Yet, there are plenty of lawns with 4+ signs displayed. And the ones with Trump and other conservatives are left alone and the HOA manager doesn't bother them. Go figure.

I think they like other people following law and order, just as long as it doesn't apply to themselves. To be fair, we are talking political signs. Not criminal acts - I'm well aware they are different things. But, in my circle, conservatives are more willing to flout the rules than liberals.

I wonder if that is a function of living in a state where conservatives are in power. I wonder if liberals act that way in states/areas where liberals are mostly in power.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:18 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Right wingers are obsessed about master-slave pecking orders. They come up with endless strings of qualifiers who should raise above the rest of peons and crap on them.
An oft-raised conservative argument against a decent minimum wage is that "I fought hard for my wage and now it's barely above MW" - as if someone else gaining is actually a loss for them. From the point of view of the actual Republican constituency - the rich - the difference between minimum wage and lower-middle-class wages is so small as to be almost invisible. The rungs on the low end of the ladder are extremely close. But it seems a very common conservative trait to jealously guard their position of being on a higher rung.

There's an LBJ quote about the need for certain people to have someone to look down on.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:21 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
An oft-raised conservative argument against a decent minimum wage is that "I fought hard for my wage and now it's barely above MW" - as if someone else gaining is actually a loss for them. From the point of view of the actual Republican constituency - the rich - the difference between minimum wage and lower-middle-class wages is so small as to be almost invisible. The rungs on the low end of the ladder are extremely close. But it seems a very common conservative trait to jealously guard their position of being on a higher rung.

There's an LBJ quote about the need for certain people to have someone to look down on.
"Crabs in a bucket" fits very nicely. We can never have anything better lest it is unfair to those who came before and went without.

Old 10-06-2020, 01:22 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
It seems to me that of the people that I speak to, the one's I'd classify as Alpha are pro-Trump by a mile. More willing to speak up, less worried about sickness, more willing to drive conversation and lead people, be results oriented, etc.

I'm not saying one is better than the other but I'm saying that this phenomena is VERY strong in my circle of about 150 friends, family, and co-workers.

let's see all the Democratic governors and the Congress and billionaires like Bloomberg are all timid ?

Old 10-06-2020, 01:31 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
100% spot on.
Quote:

Old 10-06-2020, 01:33 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
They are the manipulators of the timid, fear driven, guilt ridden, emotionally laden. Were it not for the curse of the keyboard, those they manipulate would lead lives of quiet desperation. Suspect in reality, most do anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
let's see all the Democratic governors and the Congress and billionaires like Bloomberg are all timid ?

Old 10-06-2020, 01:53 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
"Crabs in a bucket" fits very nicely. We can never have anything better lest it is unfair to those who came before and went without.
Yep. "Universal Healthcare? What about all the money that I spent on health insurance and healthcare for me?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies