Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 04:45 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This was on the Real Estate forum, but I think it is a good question for P&OC (or possibly Great Debates):

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real...rium-ends.html

If masses of people are going to be evicted (due to loss of income/jobs due in large part to COVID) with no other place to go, what should the government response be, in your opinion?

Obviously, this scenario needs to be avoided at all costs. If it gets to the point where government intervention is required, I believe all relief money should be proportioned equally to lien holders and property owners, not to renters. So if Joe Schmo is renting a house for $1,000 per month, the landlord has 50% equity in the home, and the government is providing $1,000 in assistance, $500 would go to the landlord, $500 to the lien holder, and nothing to the renter with the stipulation that if the owner accepts the relief money, he/she can't charge the renter rent or evict them. Likewise, the lien holder can't demand or penalize the home owner for the portion of the payment not covered by the relief money. The renter would still eventually have to pay the unpaid rent and reimburse the government. The owner would have repay any mortgage payment shortfall that wasn't covered by the relief money, as well as reimburse the government for any relief money received, and the mortgage company would have to repay any relief funds as well. This reduces the burden on the taxpayer and lets everyone have a roof over their heads and not get their credit destroyed. No, its not a free ride, but it shouldn't be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 04:45 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
I would pitch in money to buy them tents and guns and have them park their tents outside the mansions in Florida.

Old 10-05-2020, 04:46 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
This was on the Real Estate forum, but I think it is a good question for P&OC (or possibly Great Debates):

If masses of people are going to be evicted (due to loss of income/jobs due in large part to COVID) with no other place to go, what should the government response be, in your opinion?
For US conservatives, as far as I can tell, this is not an issue. The homeless are nonpersons, to be moved out of sight and ignored.

Old 10-05-2020, 04:50 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
I know this is going to come off as a selfish reply but the Libertarian in me still believes in small limited government. So the answer is the government does nothing. It's job is to govern and that's all! This country is getting into a very concerning cycle of EXPECTING the government to bail them out of this problem or fix that problem. That's not what it was designed to do!!!!!!!

I don't understand why people look to the government to solve social or monetary issues. Expecting anything else creates a boat anchor on funds that will cause the US to go belly up sooner than later.

Old 10-05-2020, 04:52 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I do think the government does have a hand in this rising eviction issue because they were the ones that shut down the economy and put people out of work.

Being a former landlord I'm so happy that I didn't have tenants that refused to pay because they could not be evicted.

I'm sure many people were ruined and are poised to lose their investment homes when their tenants stopped paying.

What a mess.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:11 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I know this is going to come off as a selfish reply but the Libertarian in me still believes in small limited government. So the answer is the government does nothing. It's job is to govern and that's all! This country is getting into a very concerning cycle of EXPECTING the government to bail them out of this problem or fix that problem. That's not what it was designed to do!!!!!!!

I don't understand why people look to the government to solve social or monetary issues. Expecting anything else creates a boat anchor on funds that will cause the US to go belly up sooner than later.
If people want build tar paper shacks in parks and Norman Areas like they do in other third world countries, you would agree the govt should not get involved here as well?

Old 10-05-2020, 05:18 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
If people want build tar paper shacks in parks and Norman Areas like they do in other third world countries, you would agree the govt should not get involved here as well?

Perhaps at the very most rudimentary social services might be ok. But we all know once shacks are built, it's always going to be other demands. You give todays society an inch and they'll want to take a mile from you. It's never enough to satisfy the entitlement crowd.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:21 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:

Get busy deporting illegal aliens since they tend to fill up government housing in many areas based on the citizenship of their children that we paid to deliver through a loophole in Medicaid. This would also help others that are currently homeless and on a LONG waiting list.

People here are back to work. Get the people back to work in those cities with Democratic leaders and the problem will start to resolve itself.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:23 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Hasn't government hurt them enough? It should stay out of everyone's way and tear down the barriers that stop people from being productive.
Likely we will get the opposite; govt as landlord through bailouts and rent assistance for tenants creating another class of dependents.
The endgame here is a ubi

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 10-05-2020 at 05:33 PM..

Old 10-05-2020, 05:32 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
I think my state and local governments have already done some extensions. It's mainly a service industry problem here. Restaurants are recovering, but bars are still shut down. Plenty of bar tenders made great money, I feel for them. I don't have a good answer. I see help wanted signs everywhere, but some people don't want to work in delivery or grocery stores. I know I'm going to catch flack for this, but some folks are milking the system right now. Give the landlords tax credits maybe. Give people money to move to where the jobs are. Like I said, I don't have a good answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies