Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2020, 07:29 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It wasn't actually the original point of the Supreme Court. Anyhow it doesn't mean the Court is objectively right or anyone has to personally agree. The Court once said blacks cannot be considered citizens, and that segregation is constitutional then some years later reversed itself. Obergefell is erroneous or more as Dred Scott was.
Didn't say it was objectively right in all cases, but when it comes to arguments as to what he constitution means and does not mean, I kinda lean more towards the Supremes than to some random rightwinger on a message board. No offense.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:31 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,869,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Okay some 65 percent Americans support Roe vs. Wade...and I think the percentage is higher for same sex marriage.

Do the Republicans really want to run on those issues?
So pass the legislation then. Don't have a Court writing legislation is the whole point I'm making.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:38 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,259 times
Quote:
Absolutely not. She is being discriminated against on the basis of sexual orientation, homosexuality, and trying to enter arrangement intended for heterosexuals. Neither sex could marry the same sex, so the person's sex was not the basis.
Again, wtf? I mean, that's the same lame argument presented in Loving v. Virginia:

The lame legal argument was that the Lovings' case was not a violation of the Equal Protection Clause because both the white & the non-white spouse were punished equally for the crime of miscegenation.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
So pass the legislation then. Don't have a Court writing legislation is the whole point I'm making.
I thought same-sex marriage was "bad law", no matter how passed?

Quote:
So gay marriage would have been legislated eventually. It'd still be bad law but at least it would come about in a legitimate way.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:39 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,506,426 times
When it comes to opposition to gay marriage, those who are the most vocal against it in the public arenas, are the ones who are the most lascivious. Kim Davis and her revolving door marriages, Falwell and his and his wife's behavior. They are not representing any conservative values.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Again, wtf? I mean, that's the same lame argument presented in Loving v. Virginia:

The lame legal argument was that the Lovings' case was not a violation of the Equal Protection Clause because both & white & the non-white spouse were punished equally for the crime of miscegenation.
It's silliness. "All inhabitants of Saudi Arabia have the exact same rights to worship in a mosque, hence there is no religious discrimination."

Old 10-06-2020, 07:45 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,869,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post

The lame legal argument was that the Lovings' case was not a violation of the Equal Protection Clause because both & white & the non-white spouse were punished equally for the crime of miscegenation.
In that case the Court ruled that only race was the factor or consideration. A person's sex and their sexual orientation are two separate factors and considerations. Also the Court in Loving overturned precedence since 1883 from Pace v. Alabama.

Last edited by mtl1; 10-06-2020 at 07:55 PM..

Old 10-06-2020, 08:14 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,068,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Apparently.

And once they've made it ok to not serve gay people, they'll revisit who gets to sit at a restaurant's lunch counter.
Let's be clear:

The man running for President on the Democrat ticket has a VERY long history of racism. Biden has spoken publicaly about Robert Byrd, a KKK leader, and called him a "mentor and a friend." He has called blacks "super predators" and has supported legislation that resulted in more black men being jailed. Biden continues to this day to stereotype black people (if you don't vote for me you ain't black, black culture is not diverse, black women are stocking grocery shelves, etc.).

While he was VP for 8 years, blacks advanced very little economically or socially. No specific administration programs or policies aimed to help blacks. In fact, HCBU were defunded in this administration. Even Biden's comments about Obama wee racist. ("I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man.")

Meanwhile, the man running for President on the Republican ticket has been honored for his work in black communities. Trump's Presidency has overseen the lowest rates of black unemployment ever. He has established opportunity zones in black communities. He has poured funding back into HBCU. Even when he was running in 2015/16, Mr. Trump went to black congregations to ask what their needs were. He didn't demand their vote. He humbly asked for it.

And through all this, the reprehensible lies continue, that somehow Republicans/conservatives are racist and anti-black....a lie and a stereotype which you are perpetuating here. Your comment is despicable. Because the FACTS are that it is liberals who are hurting black people, who have always hurt them and continue to hurt them. A perfect example of this is the liberal support of BLM, which is setting race relations in this country back by 70 years.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 10-06-2020 at 09:18 PM..

Old 10-06-2020, 08:34 PM

26,488 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Conservatives claim to be for liberty and smaller government.

Gay marriage does not harm society or the individuals.

It is hypocritical for any conservatives to want gay marriage banned.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:35 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,015,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...rce=reddit.com

Guess live and let live is too much for some people...
Aren’t they just showing bias and should have to abstain if it comes up again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies