Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would more people vote if it were a popular vote?
Yes 37 30.08%
No 79 64.23%
Don't know 7 5.69%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 01:19 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
Less people would vote because the UNITED STATES of America would cease to exist. There would be no point in fly over states being part of the union as it would be controlled entirely by the coasts.
That’s what would happen .... we would become the United Cali-York.
Game over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 01:25 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
Less people would vote because the UNITED STATES of America would cease to exist.
There would be no point in fly over states being part of the union as it would be controlled entirely by the coasts.
Indeed, and only urban population centers views would be paramount to potential presidents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxmQXQOO3gs
`

It is almost as if these Americans with their popular vote desires never learned history about our founding and why things are set up the way they are in our constitutional republic.
That is even assuming they realize we live in a republic, not a democracy.

`

Old 10-07-2020, 01:31 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Hell no. Our Republic would then be Mob rule and controlled by NY and CA. Kookland.

Old 10-07-2020, 01:35 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Indeed, and only urban population centers views would be paramount to potential presidents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxmQXQOO3gs
`
It is almost as if these Americans with their popular vote desires never learned history about our founding and why things are set up the way they are in our constitutional republic.
That is even assuming they realize we live in a republic, not a democracy.

`
Another low information post thinking an EC is an essential component of a republic.

Most other presidential republics elect their president by national popular vote.

Old 10-07-2020, 01:36 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Hell no. Our Republic would then be Mob rule and controlled by NY and CA. Kookland.
Another post conflating national popular vote election of a representative leader with direct democracy. Not sure why this is such a widespread misunderstanding on your side.

Old 10-07-2020, 01:39 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
I think we should just let only white people decide who is president. This seems like the only fair system. Prove me wrong.

Old 10-07-2020, 01:46 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I think we should just let only white people decide who is president. This seems like the only fair system. Prove me wrong.
I was going to say that blacks should get two votes so that, like rural areas, their voices are heard and they aren't subject to mob rule.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:10 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Don’t know.

I can’t decide where I fall.

I see the point of the electoral college.

But also think there needs to be limits (in regards to how many from a populated state equal the vote from someone in battleground state).

I see the future as it’s increasingly going to be people have to move to the jobs, the jobs aren’t coming to you.

The states will maintain a say in the senate either way.
Blue collar and service jobs, sure. White collar jobs not so much. In fact, if the pandemic has taught us 1 thing it’s that sitting in a office is unnecessary for many, many workers. I’ve been a remote employee for over 10 years. Pre-pandemic 28% of my company was the same. On 3/15, our offices closed and all 6,500 employees went home to work.

Currently our “back to office date” is 4/1/2021, but that’s subject to change. We’ve already sold 1 building in Houston, 2 in Seattle, 1 in San Diego and cut office space in Charlotte by half. Our remote workforce will be over 50% due to these changes alone. People’s ability to live anywhere might become greater than it’s ever been due to the pandemic. This thing may bring about huge population shifts.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:25 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times
As the individual states get to decide how to allocate their electoral votes, I would like to see it done by congressional district and the two (senator) votes go to the winner of the statewide popular vote.

For example, Ohio has 18 electoral votes. Have one electoral vote for the winner of each of the sixteen congressional districts. Whatever candidate wins the overall popular vote statewide would get the two additional electoral votes. So, if "candidate A" carries ten of the sixteen districts and "candidate B" carries the other six plus the popular vote, it would be A=10 and B=8. As opposed to a winner take all system.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:28 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Let's get rid of the Senate also.

No way Rhode Island should have the same 2 votes as Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies