Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 01:38 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What took them so long?

Trump Administration Announces Overhaul of H-1B Visa Program

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-a...am-11602017434

WASHINGTON—The Trump administration announced an overhaul of the H-1B visa program for high-skilled foreign workers that will require employers to pay H-1B workers significantly higher wages, narrow the types of degrees that could qualify an applicant and shorten the length of visas for certain contract workers.

The changes, introduced by the Departments of Labor and Homeland Security on Tuesday, will likely make it tougher to qualify for one of the coveted visas.

Ken Cuccinelli, the No. 2 official at DHS, said on a news conference call Tuesday that he expects about one-third of H-1B visa applications would be rejected under the new set of rules.
Every Democrat and large numbers of Republicans were owned by the firms that abuse the H-1B rules.

Only President Trump could do this. It should have been done earlier.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:33 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Every Democrat and large numbers of Republicans were owned by the firms that abuse the H-1B rules.
Sure. Free market capitalism used to be hip.

Quote:
Only President Trump could do this. It should have been done earlier.
If he was serious, he would have done it in 2017, but he didn't because he too is owned by the firms that abuse H1B rules. Aren't you at least little suspicious about the fact that this comes out only weeks before the elections?

Old 10-07-2020, 02:34 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
What took them so long?

Trump Administration Announces Overhaul of H-1B Visa Program

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-a...am-11602017434

WASHINGTON—The Trump administration announced an overhaul of the H-1B visa program for high-skilled foreign workers that will require employers to pay H-1B workers significantly higher wages, narrow the types of degrees that could qualify an applicant and shorten the length of visas for certain contract workers.

The changes, introduced by the Departments of Labor and Homeland Security on Tuesday, will likely make it tougher to qualify for one of the coveted visas.

Ken Cuccinelli, the No. 2 official at DHS, said on a news conference call Tuesday that he expects about one-third of H-1B visa applications would be rejected under the new set of rules.
Trump wanted Congress to amend/change the immigration laws. But like so many important matters, our Congress sucks at doing the business that the people voted them office to actually do.

Now we will see if these liberal tech companies whose CEOs claim to give a crap about the American workers, will refuse to pay a fair wage to Americans, so they'll move some of their business overseas.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:39 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Who does this benefit?

People who still manage to get an H1-B visa. They will be paid a lot more!

Offshore people. If companies cannot fulfill their needs with onshore and H1-B, they will hire more offshore.

Who doesn't benefit?

Unemployed Americans without the necessary skills to take these jobs.

American tech companies losing out on top talent to foreign competitors.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Now we will see if these liberal tech companies whose CEOs claim to give a crap about the American workers, will refuse to pay a fair wage to Americans, so they'll move some of their business overseas.
Corporations are very predictable: they will always try to maximize their profits (its why they exist), so when Trump gets involved and uses the strong arm of the government to limit their profits, they will make it their priority to find a solution, and in this case it will probably be to move some of their operations out of the country. Its already happening.

PS I don't know about your claim about what they say about "American worker". They are pretty honest about the fact that their loyalty is with their share holders.

Where do you get the idea that the corporations exist to serve the 'fatherland'? They don't, but when they are successful the "fatherland" benefits from it.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:04 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm impressed. For me -- this should have been the first step to immigration reform.
Quote:
Unfortunately US corporations are already hiring Indians to work remotely from Canada. Who benefits? Canada, since they will pay taxes and spend their money in Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Good.

Have 2 IT friends that were replaced in H1Bs.

Not sure it will do much as offshoring is still done.
Do you guys have any idea what you're talking about?

I'm guessing you don't.

We are talking about 85,000 visas per year. No, I didn't stutter....85,000.

To add insult to injury, those visas are divided into 5 groups.

First, 20,000 visas are reserved exclusively for PhDs.

Second, 6,800 visas are reserved exclusively for passport holders from Singapore and Chile and no other country. Why? Because the US has a separate bilateral trade agreement with each country that says so.

The story so far...

85,000 H-1 visas are issued. 20,000 are reserved exclusively for PhDs, and 6,800 are reserved under trade agreements leaving a whopping....drum roll please....58,200 visas for foreign workers.

But wait, there's more....

That includes visas for fashion models. Yes, fashion models.

It also includes visas granted under one of two conditions:

1) The US is collaborating with a foreign State on a Defense Department project and that individual needs to travel freely to and from the US or reside in the US for a period of time to facilitate the project; or

2) The Defense Department as a research project and none of the Stu-Tards in the US are smart enough to understand it so people from foreign States who do grasp those concepts have to be imported to work for a period of time or nothing will ever get done.

If you all think 45,000 visas issued to specialty workers are going to crash the US economy and cause high unemployment, might I suggest a crash course in economics.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Do you guys have any idea what you're talking about?

I'm guessing you don't.
Yes, I have dealt with them for the past 25 years.

Quote:
If you all think 45,000 visas issued to specialty workers are going to crash the US economy and cause high unemployment......
Those are your words, not mine.

There are 28 million foreign workers in the US. As for H1Bs, there are companies (big ones) where 90% of IT folks are from India. There are companies will have trouble replacing them, and are likely to move operations out of the country, or hire people to work remotely from Canada.

Old 10-10-2020, 03:40 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:

There are 28 million foreign workers in the US.
That's very clever propaganda.

There aren't 28 Million H-1B visas.

Old 10-10-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:

There are 28 million foreign workers in the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's very clever propaganda.

There aren't 28 Million H-1B visas.
Reading comprehension helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies