Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 08:33 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,705,786 times

Advertisements

President Trump SAVED 320 million Americans. If you catch this virus its your own fault, not the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 08:42 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Some of the discontent is with the state government. Trump let each state decide how to handle COVID and since each state had a different number of cases, this does make some sense. Perhaps the real beef should be with local and state government.

When NY was a hot spot, Gov. Cuoma requested ventilators, as well as the medical ship (Comfort?). He received both from the White House. He did not need them though. And Dr Fauci was quite contradictory in some of his statements. We didn't get good intel from China, nor did we know exactly what we were dealing with in the early stages. As we went along, opinions changed as did treatment options.

Trump could do a better job of articulating his thoughts to the public.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:48 AM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You cant unless you know all the details about all of the reporting practices, the extent and accuracy of testing. their numbers may be underreported. We know our numbers are exaggerated. there really is no way to compare without accurate comparable data.
And we aren't doing "horrible." We're about the same as all of western Europe except Germany, which is better. And I haven't seen anyone do a discussion of why Germany did so much better than Belgium, France, Italy, UK and Spain. We are doing a little better than Latin America where deaths are rapidly increasing, including Brazil.

We know what South Korea did, but that can't be replicated. They have cameras everywhere. They all have phones. They used that to do a massive contact tracing effort. And South Korea is isolated. They are on a peninsula and only border a country with millions of mines sitting between them.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:59 AM
bu2

We have a huge diverse country with dramatically different results around the country.

Here are the 6 states worse than the worst country in the world (not counting microstates) as of October 7 per RealClearPolitics:
State Deaths Deaths /
1M pop

New Jersey 16,268 1,831.50
New York 33,330 1,713.30
Massachusetts 9,538 1,372.50
Connecticut 4,521 1,268.10
Louisiana 5,592 1,202.90
Rhode Island 1,125 1,062.00

And then there are our 5 best states. Wyoming and Alaska never shut down at all.
Hawaii 160 113
Maine 142 105.6
Vermont 58 93
Wyoming 53 91.6
Alaska 58 79.3

The 5 worst countries are:
Peru 32,914 1,028.90
Belgium 10,092 883.6
Bolivia 8,156 718.4
Brazil 147,571 704.5
Chile 13,070 697.8

Germany's death rate is 116.2, still higher than Hawaii.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:02 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Some of the discontent is with the state government. Trump let each state decide how to handle COVID and since each state had a different number of cases, this does make some sense. Perhaps the real beef should be with local and state government.

When NY was a hot spot, Gov. Cuoma requested ventilators, as well as the medical ship (Comfort?). He received both from the White House. He did not need them though. And Dr Fauci was quite contradictory in some of his statements. We didn't get good intel from China, nor did we know exactly what we were dealing with in the early stages. As we went along, opinions changed as did treatment options.

Trump could do a better job of articulating his thoughts to the public.
Well said, except I don't agree with the last. With President Trump, it is what it is.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:04 AM

1,199 posts, read 734,644 times
Quote:
You cant unless you know all the details about all of the reporting practices, the extent and accuracy of testing. their numbers may be underreported. We know our numbers are exaggerated. there really is no way to compare without accurate comparable data.
Please elaborate on how our numbers are exaggerated.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:13 AM

494 posts, read 180,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"You need to read Woodward's book", I choose to read much BETTER fiction writers then he is.

If woodward is such a great "investigative reporter", why did he NEVER do a story on the sex exploits of jfk and his AG appointed brother? Or the drunkenness of ted who killed Mary Jo? Whose story DIED in a WEEK.

I am from D.C. and EVERYBODY knew of THEIR outside of their marriages sex exploits?

The "great" wash post, woodward their TOP "investigative reporter" NEVER did a SINGLE story on it. Why?

Mad magazine has MORE credibility then the wash post and woodward.
I think you're missing the point here and twisting it around to fit your narrative. I didn't go through the whole chain, but I'm guessing no one brought up the stories you mention above. The fact of the matter is that the book uses Trump's own words. He is on tape saying he knew how deadly the virus is, how bad it is, etc. Who the hell knows why Woodward never wrote a story on what you mentioned, but you don't address the fact that Trump said this stuff.

This seems to be the go to for Trump supporters as a defense. Ignore what is right in front of your face and instead twist stories/words around to throw the blame on someone else. Trumps on tape saying this stuff............yeah well, woodward never wrote a children's book so how am I supposed to believe anything he writes. See how ridiculous that is? That is what you sound like.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:15 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
OK anyone who reads my posts knows that I seldom trash Trump even though I detest him with every fiber of my soul.

His response to Covid19 was anything but effective. He had examples to follow. He could have done the adult thing and you know, talk to the other side rather than at them. He didn't do the adult thing. He did the Trump thing.

I don't blame Trump for all the issues or for the complete cluster fark, called New York City. I do blame billions in wasted tax dollars that the CDC obviously hasn't used to effectively prepare for a Pandemic. I do blame the big cities who reacted as if a pandemic was a brand new concept and had not one second foreknowledge to prepare. I do blame lame state responses. I also blame people who absolutely refused to take common sense precautions on their own.

I live in a developing nation. It saw a fraction of the Covid cases and deaths. They followed common sense approaches.

The USA had the Democratic Party weaponize Covid deaths. Yeah that helped everything too. At the end of the day I believe in top down leadership. From Trump on down the Covid pandemic was handled like people using Rock Paper Scissors to make decisions.
You have described government incompetence and wastefulness which exists across the board and despite political leanings.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:16 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
1. Dismissing the seriousness of the virus as a hoax or a Dem conspiracy theory.

Even the normally heavily left biased fact checking sources have admitted this is not true.

2. Refusing the follow the advice of medical experts in his own government.

He followed the advice of medical experts in his government, just not the ones you would like him to follow (you know, the ones who keep changing their minds and making thins up). i do nto care whose advice he follows. They are all just guessing.

3. Propagating the absurd theory that people wearing a mask were making a political statement against him.

how was this propagated? what specifically did he say or do to "propagate" this? Please be specific, I do not watch much news, but i have not heard anything specific that he has done or said, just statements like "It is obvious" or "anyone can see that he is doing that" All I have seen is media saying he is doing that without anything supporting their statements. i can accept that he is propagating this if someone would show something concrete and specific.

4. Discouraging the wearing of masks and basic safety precautions among his followers.

Where did he do that? All I am aware of is that it was made optional in the white house. people could wear them or not. Other than sometimes not wearing a mask, what specifically did he say or do to discourage people form wearing masks? Again I am willing to believe he did this if there is some concrete specific indication that he did so. Not just "everyone knows it."

5. Not being truthful with the American people about the unique and deadly nature of the virus early when he knew the facts.

This is an interesting talking point. At th beginning of the virus, trump was concerned and trying to take measures and the left was calling him out for it. Then they switched. Now we know the "deadly nature" has been greatly exaggerated, but no one knows b how much, because the data is too twisted to make the determination. How deadly is it? the virus has killed somewhere between 10,000 and 200,000+ Americans, but how many? No one knows because they politicized it early and falsified the information an corrupted the available data. Early - no one knew any facts. There were lots of guesses bantered about. We still do not know which guesses were more accurate or less accurate and we probably will not know in this decade, possibly never. It will take an unbiased look at years of data before, during and after the pandemic to ever determine what the real impact was. Even then there are too many intervening factors to ever get much past a plausibly supported theory.

The problem on both sides is they push all these talking points that are at best exaggerations and often completely false. Neither side has any credibility. They have even managed to coopt and corrupt science.
I have seen no responses to this post save one attempt to one point.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:28 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
How is Biden any better than Trump as far as the virus?
He's not, for 47 years he's become a full time a plagiarizing, pedophile, racist
who views his life at our expense as an entitlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies