Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the NBA need to commit itself to "look more like America?"
Yes: The NBA needs to have more diverse players to look more like America! 43 81.13%
Unsure: I am torn on diversity (woke) vs merit (white culture) 3 5.66%
No: Things like what the Smithsonian calls "White Culture" among other things explains why the NBA does not "look like America." 7 13.21%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 10:47 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The NBA specifically says organizations should look more like America. What is the NBA doing specifically to make sure that they look more like America?...
I don't know and I don't care.

The NBA scored an A- grade overall for racial and gender hiring from The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida, despite a significantly higher standard for the test.

The NBA scored an A+ for racial hiring and a B for gender hiring on the 2020 report card issued by the institute, known as TIDES. Those are the same grades as the league scored the year before for racial and gender hiring, but the overall grade dipped slightly from an A last year.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...port-card.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 10:54 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
nope, the best candidate should get the job.
this should be the case in all industries. we should not be hiring people so that we can appear to be inclusive and anti-racist.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:58 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Your obsession with the NBA is pretty strange. There's at least 2 new posts started about the NBA daily on this forum .
I believe race is the real issue, or the root cause of the obsession.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:12 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I don't know and I don't care.

The NBA scored an A- grade overall for racial and gender hiring from The Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida, despite a significantly higher standard for the test.

The NBA scored an A+ for racial hiring and a B for gender hiring on the 2020 report card issued by the institute, known as TIDES. Those are the same grades as the league scored the year before for racial and gender hiring, but the overall grade dipped slightly from an A last year.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...port-card.aspx
That is cherry picking for office jobs and ignoring the glamor jobs.

The NHL has spent millions to try and diversify their players.

Since the NBA wants organizations to look more like America, but has the least amount of diversity of any league with players, should they also spend millions to try and diversify the league? What could they do?

Old 10-12-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I believe race is the real issue, or the root cause of the obsession.
How many times have you liberals played the race card in this thread?

Why shouldn't we have a discussion around the NBA's own stated goals as they publicly venture into politics?

Old 10-12-2020, 11:19 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
This is a politics and controversies forum, a very appropriate forum for what is a much bigger issue than just a game. This ism a discussion about the deep and wide lack of diversity in the NBA. One that is more and more controlled by a communist country. Speaking of which, why not post this on the China forum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Your obsession with the NBA is pretty strange. There's at least 2 new posts started about the NBA daily on this forum .

Old 10-12-2020, 11:21 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The NBA brought up the topic of identities and making sure that those identities look like America.

Why are lefties so bitter when I turn the spotlight on the NBA for the NBA's own comments?

Is it because of the hypocrisy and the fact that liberals are significantly more likely to hold double standards?

Ok moon,

Let me ask you this: Why were ratings for the NHL and Stanley Cup even worse than the NBA?

As an NBA fan who didn't watch the finals, I can tell you why: The season was on for a straight up year. The longest season in history. It's football season now and my team was eliminated months ago even after a really long break.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:22 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Not enough Canadians watching TV? Your comment has nothing to do with the sad lack of diversity in the NBA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Ok moon,

Let me ask you this: Why were ratings for the NHL and Stanley Cup even worse than the NBA?

As an NBA fan who didn't watch the finals, I can tell you why: The season was on for a straight up year. The longest season in history. It's football season now and my team was eliminated months ago even after a really long break.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Ok moon,

What are you talking about.

What does TV Ratings have to do with me questioning if the NBA is being hypocritical on a political message they espouse?

It looks like some of the NBA finals games had TV ratings 68% below last years. The NHL Stanley Cup Finals TV ratings were down about 28%.

Why are you changing the topic? Thanks for not playing the race card like so many liberals on here.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:35 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Actually the NFL is not much better with 70% Black versus 12.6% of the population. Why are not the other races equally represented based upon the population? Where are the Gay players, they are afraid to come out. The NFL despite all its political rumblings does not come close represent America either!
Both the NBA and the NFL are "Do as I say, not as I do" organizations.
Youre free to try out if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies